SAU Community

car alarm's wat to look for wats good in brands

Hay guys iam getting my 180sx soon and i was woundering

what is a good car alarm i should go for? that does its job right with no problems and not to burn a hole in my pocket beucase i wont have a lot of money left after it comes in hhe

also =)

do a lot of imports come with car alarms or is it not common?

As far as alarms short of tracking are concerned its difficult to go past the brant alarm... it has so many features but is priced pretty high. The AA02 model would be the go for most people and if you're more paranoid you can get the Nemesis.

This is the best alarm short of quiktrak in my opinion.

I have a Mongoose alarm, cant remeber the exact model number, but its has 2 point shock sensors, backup batery, remote locking, boot release, works with the turbo timer, etc.. and can have lots of addons such as tracking etc.. very highly recommended alarm.

Microwave sensors are a wank.

Cost me around $700

A friend works with a guy who until recently was a fraud investigator for a insurance company.

He says that if you have quicktrack (and possibly a standard alarm) your car wont be stolen.

The only way they steal quicktrac cars is if its a inside job. Someone who can get your keys etc etc.

Personally, trust no one. Get quick track, get a kill switch and dont park it anywhere you dont trust. Lock it up at night

and the number one way to stop your car getting stolen is

guard the thing!

usaf_01a.jpg

Guest Bogan

my mate just got a viper installed

hasen't had any problems yet and has a stack of features which doesn't hit the bank or pocket too hard:cool:

i spent $500 (inc install) for my black widow. From what I know it has 3 point imobb, 2 shock sensors and all black wires. It also has its own backup battery, so the siren will keep going once the normal car battery has been disconnected.

I was just looking for something simple as its only for a 4wd.. So far I havent had any problems with it.. although when i used to live in melbourne, my building had an undercover car park and loud exhausts would set the shock sensors off..

Guest | hype^ |

sorry to go slightly off topic but i didnt wanna wast a whole thread..

whatcha guys recon...

NEMESIS vs BOOMERANG??

nemesis- 6points of immob + others..

or

boomerang - pager remote that lets you know when ur car is being messed with + remote engine start ...

does any1 know of anyone who has run a aftermarket TT along with boomerang? coz the guy at incar option said that there is simply no way off running a TT with the alarm cz its got its own TT and it would get confused to some S***...

:)

grr i want hks type1!!

Guest TurbZ
Originally posted by | hype^ |

sorry to go slightly off topic but i didnt wanna wast a whole thread..  

whatcha guys recon...  

NEMESIS vs BOOMERANG??

nemesis- 6points of immob + others..

or

boomerang - pager remote that lets you know when ur car is being messed with + remote engine start ...

does any1 know of anyone who has run a aftermarket TT along with boomerang? coz the guy at incar option said that there is simply no way off running a TT with the alarm cz its got its own TT and it would get confused to some S***...  

:)  

grr i want hks type1!!

why would u want to run a different TT when the boomerang has an inbuilt unit?

the inbuilt TT unit works with the remote engine start. to start the car it has to be shut down on boomerang's TT.

nemesis 6 point? ****.. not bad.. boomerang is only 3.

i wonder how easy it'd be to add extra points.

what points does nemesis protect?

Guest | hype^ |
Originally posted by TurbZ

why would u want to run a different TT when the boomerang has an inbuilt unit?

the inbuilt TT unit works with the remote engine start. to start the car it has to be shut down on boomerang's TT.

to the first part = coz i want a hks type 1 with auto functions, speed/rev/shift light functions and coz the boomerang one is only 1 or 3 mins

to the second part = dam!@:)

I could write and essay on this - (bahh, I probably will)

Firstly, any alarm/immobiliser is only as good as it's installation

Secondly, start with an alarm/immobiliser that is at least Australian Standards approved.

Thirdly, I would recommend at least two sirens - One internal, one external, both well hidden. Minimum of three point Immobilisation.

The Brant AA02 is a great system, I had one in my car until I upgraded to a VTS (Vehicle Tracking System). There was nothing wrong with the Brant, I just removed it and had something better installed.

Remember, an alarm/immobilser will not guarantee that your car won't get stolen, you still have to take care where and how you park it etc and take all precautions to prevent it's theft.

If someone is going to try and steal your car - you want a few things to happen..

1 - you want the car to make as much noise as possible - both inside and out - this makes the theif want to spend as little time as possible in the car (they will either get noticed, or they will get deafened)

2 - you want someone to be notified - whether it be yourself (via pager) although range is an issue - and you don't always know if your pager/vehicle can "see" each other, or via telematics ( Trackers etc) - at least this way, if you or anyone else is in a position to check the vehicle, you may catch the theif (not always a good idea) or at least scare them off...

3 - if they manage to get past your you-beaut alarm and silence it ( what is built by man can be destroyed by man) and immobiliser, then you want to know where your car is to aide in recovery - this is where trackers come into their own.

In my profession I deal with most security companies and I have gotten to know a fair bit about their systems from both sides.

I would love to know more details BY BY about those vehicles stolen with trackers that were not "seen"... Sure, it's possible, but it takes an awful lot of "situations" or "co-incidences" for this to happen and as someone suggested, they may have been inside jobs, or they may be genuine, but extremely unlucky.

Here is a simple excercise that I perform when I park my car somewhere which may be outside the "view" of my tracking company. I call them and ask them "can you "see" my car. They "ping" the system and wait for a response. If they get none, I ask can they at least receive alarm notification (different system) - if the answer is NO for both - I move the car to a better location, or if they can receive alarm notification at least and there is no better location to park, I tell them exactly where the car is (ie, Level 5, Row 1, Westen side, Westfields Car park, Parramatta) and then if they get a signal (remember they use different methods for tracking vs alarm notification) they know where to dispatch a security guard if required etc

All this adds a maximum of 5 mins to my door to door journey time, but at least I know where my car will be when I return.

Car security begins with the owner taking reasonable precautions.

It would be useful if the tracking company would release a map of low/hi range areas.. however, I am guessing this would probably benefit the theif more than the owner.. but it would be always good to know that your car is in range of the tracking company.

In regards to quicktrak, one of my dads friends had a large ownership in the company (probably not anymore due to the ****ty share prices) and the way he described the system was that the tracker is actually very very small and on every install it will be located somewhere different -- obviously this is up to the installer / customer as well.

The impression I get is that if you have quicktrak, the only way it can be stolen succesfully is if they somehow know where it is installed (inside job) or they know you have quicktrak installed and can move the car to where it will be out of tracking range.(inside job / workshop who services car / friends / family etc)

You would assume that if a theif didnt know that you had quicktrak and just disabled your main alarm, they would eventually be caught driving the car , or storing it - unless they are extremely lucky. Also, i think the insurance companies acknowledge this too and sydney people especially see pretty good discounts if they have the system installed.

dave.

Why can't something like that be available to us over here in Perth?

Southo, do you know of any companies looking into covering Perth? With all the car crime you'd think that insurance companies would be pushing for a system such as this over here.

Frankly, I don't know why they don't have some type of sattelite tracking system. It would cost more, but they'd be able to sell to far more people. I live in Central Qld and I can't get the Quiktrack system up here.

Dudes,

If you can hold out for a little while longer, I can give you details of a company that is about to release Australia wide.

It's Satellite based tracking, with a GSM notification system.

I am waiting on a call back from these guys - they are in the final testing phase at the moment. -

In the meantime if you are desperate for a tracker - check out

http://www.rojone.com.au/guardian.htm

Whilst this appears to be a good system, there is currently no facility in place to have a monitoring company monitor your vehicle on your behalf. This is a worry when you consider that if you sleep through your phone call or SMS, or your battery goes flat - who will notify you (or the police) that your car has been stolen. If you can live with this and don't see it as a problem - (your insurance company might not accept it either for this same reason) - then this is otherwise a great system.