SAU Community

Making A Professional Heatsheild/pod Cover/air Box At Cost!

WYTSKY

Nice work, I intend on making on of these, my question is ; What else from around the house can I use to heat the perspex

$15 heat gun from bunnings, otherwise blowtorch & wrap the perspex in tinfoil to stop it burning

• 2 weeks later...

toddlls idea isnt bad, but I found it was much easier seeing where the perspex was that I was melting.

BTW, I tried a normal hair drier and it didnt work :)

honestly, at bunnings I bought a cheapy heatgun for $12-15 bucks and it worked a charm. within 30 seconds it was almost like honey.

Gl with it.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

your welcome guys,

also turael, i'll try to get some pics up over the next few days, cant believe its been in there for almost 2 years! But i can tell u now, run over it with a wet cloth and dry... still looks like the day i made it.... and I will prove very soon.... Not to mention i have taken it out to work on things and rested tools on it heaps of times!

• 4 weeks later...

OK first up i gotta say that the heatshield looks awesome.

BUT... I have to ask...

You used perspex to make it from (I guess it's good coz you can still see the pod somewhat), and you used a "heat gun" to shape the "heatshield"....in other words since perspex changes shape with heat, how hot does the engine bay have to get before it melts??

very hot dude, like yeh if u placed the pespex on the exhaust manifold it would melt... but if you look it up on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate) its melting point is 130-140 degs celcius

and the heat gun was direct heat, whereas you'll find the heatsheilds normally just suffer from indirect heat like heatsoak from a hot motor...

Adam >_<

• 2 weeks later...

Im keen on doing something like this for summer, oh and wicked job btw.

Does anyone know of a more heat resistant material to use? maybe some aluminium sheet metal with heat sinks around lol.. a little over the top?

Also have you had any problems with police? or is it perfectly legal?

thanks.

If anyone has some air temperature sensing equipment I could borrow to give some results, or if someone can point me in the direction of where to buy one within the $200ish mark i'll get some results.

I bought a fairly cheap 'automotive' multimeter from dick smith ot radio parts a while back which also came with a K type thermocouple or what ever they are called. You can plug it in and run the wire to the air box etc. Unfortunately you don't get two sensors two compare at one time but you do get a multimeter out of it too. Maybe one of your mates wants one too and then you'd have two readings?