SAU Community

Making A Professional Heatsheild/pod Cover/air Box At Cost!

WYTSKY

I bought a fairly cheap 'automotive' multimeter from dick smith ot radio parts a while back which also came with a K type thermocouple or what ever they are called. You can plug it in and run the wire to the air box etc. Unfortunately you don't get two sensors two compare at one time but you do get a multimeter out of it too. Maybe one of your mates wants one too and then you'd have two readings?

Interesting mate, can you pm some details so I can have a bit of a research?

cheers, Adam

Im keen on doing something like this for summer, oh and wicked job btw.

Does anyone know of a more heat resistant material to use? maybe some aluminium sheet metal with heat sinks around lol.. a little over the top?

Also have you had any problems with police? or is it perfectly legal?

thanks.

you can use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramid , a silver version of carbon fiber for heatshields.. they use it on the space shuttle and jet engines. etc.

Plexi comes in all forms and some melts easier then others.. I wouldnt use it on anything that gets hot ??? there are thermal plastics out there so make sure you get the right one or a fire /melted plastic will follow

What do you guys use to cut the perspex? I've tried a jigsaw before and it just cracks even at slow speed.

Cheers

I had absolutely no troubles cutting it with a jigsaw, as I have done a few times... maybe your using a blade for cutting metal as oppose to cutting wood (which I used as the perspex is softer)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Fantastic write up. Just what I was after. Thanks man

great tutorial. has anyone had any trouble from the police with this covering their pod?

If the poe poe feel like f**king you, you will be f**ked. Regardless what is on your car :P

I think the dark perspex should attract minimal attention, far better than having pods exposed.

Edited by xiaorpowr

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice work!

Im going to make an attempt at this at the end of the week.

Well, just finished my airbox tonight.. i couldn't find tinted perspex at any bunnings store in sydney so I chose to use clear perspex instead. I think tinted does look better though. I had to make 2 holes because iv got a return flow intercooler setup.

Thank you Adam!! (WYTSKY)

Cheers,

Aleck

post-63786-0-87493000-1301657426_thumb.jpg

post-63786-0-75749400-1301657435_thumb.jpg

post-63786-0-35545400-1301657443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aleckr33

Thats really tidy! I need to get my ass into making one too.

Do you notice if the pod etc is cool after long drives? I was thinking of making one, and i too have a Blitz Return flow, so was wondering whether there is sufficient airflow around the headlight? Was going to try incorporate the stock snorkle, and use Crabon instead of plastic :cool:

Speaking of crabon, does anyone know if that sheet stuff you can buy will bend with heat like that? or will it just go fuuparr ans snap?

Edited by gotRICE?

I feel a lot more throttle response, the pod is cooler after a long drive, but i think i am suffocating it... The car feels like its lost a bit of power on full throttle, so on the weekend i'll drill a hole down to the front guard and set up a custom air intake so it can get all the air it needs.

Edited by Aleckr33

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...