SAU Community

Making A Professional Heatsheild/pod Cover/air Box At Cost!

WYTSKY

Hey man i sure its likely to change dependant on car and POD etc but what size acrylic did you start with, I called for a quote of 1mx1m just on the basis of "im positive I wont run out" and it was like $130. Having said that yet to try bunnings but thought id go for better measurements than my glorious guestimation

• 1 month later...

Wow awesome shit ! i made a cai for my R32 gtr and been looking for a way to get a proper cover going to cover the heat and trap the nice cold air.

i will give this a shot :)

Good Tut man !!

My one on my r33, thats what happens when your bored.

Edit: By the way thats a piece of plexi glass where you see the hole so you dont think what a douche bag left a hole at the top.

20120103_203644-1.jpg

Edited by MrRx7s3

I finally got around to doing my airbox on the weekend and am pretty happy with the result.... I thought i would cheat and buy a JJ box and modify it, turns out it would have been just as quick to start from scratch but for about $100 i am still happy as i was quoted $375 to have one made!! :thumbsup:

Good work on the tutorial though!!!

• 9 months later...

Did mine a couple of days ago. I bolted my AFM and pod onto the perspex though so it was fixed. I don't know if it is placebo or reality but it feels like the turbo is spooling quicker.

Also a tip for others, when I made the template I used a metal coat hanger to form up the bottom edge and then traced it onto cardboard. Much faster than guessing.

20130102110127.jpg

Did mine a couple of days ago. I bolted my AFM and pod onto the perspex though so it was fixed. I don't know if it is placebo or reality but it feels like the turbo is spooling quicker.

Also a tip for others, when I made the template I used a metal coat hanger to form up the bottom edge and then traced it onto cardboard. Much faster than guessing.

20130102110127.jpg

that looks fantastic. did you just follow the OP's tutorial?

that looks fantastic. did you just follow the OP's tutorial?

You can buy them pretty cheap for the R34 man, just dont buy the shitty plastic version, get the alloy one but run a rubber strip around it....

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, good to see my tute is still going and people are producing some great results!

Just thought i'd post up my cover is still working great. It's been through 3 different pods - now onto a monstrous one for a bigger turbo and it still is doing it's job. Unfortunetly I have scratched it a bit using it to rest tools on but other then that it's still in good nick.

post-36975-0-95192500-1358473144_thumb.jpg post-36975-0-89434100-1358473145_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks Adam, massive inspiration, i just made my first template tonight so hopefully on the weekend over to bunnings for some tools+ perspex and off we go! having said that, what else can i used to cut the perspex as I don't have a jigsaw =( old fashioned hand saw ??!?!? hahahhaa

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, popped down to my local bunnings yesterday and they had several sizes available.

Can anyone shed some light on which size sheet they bought as they only had clear,red or blue in stock and would need to order black. There was a $39 but it looked too small to bend into shape. (can see OP spent $40 but not sure if same size). The next size was $59 (iirc)..

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

Great write up

I'm about to do this to my 34 did any one have to remove the coolant thing if so were did you move it to or replaces it with any help would helpfull

All ready have a CAI kinda just left one on the pipes from the old intercooler from when I got a GTR one put in