SAU Community

2871 On Rb25det

Hmmm.. unsure.

I know these turbos come in many variances. I am looking at the low mount option for a 25 using stock turbo housing? (keeps it well hidden). What type of hp are you getting from the 2876?

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Gt...l&hl=GT2871

225rwkW @ 13psi. Responsive, torquey, easy to drive. Good upgrade, but I don't know how it compares to the HKS 2530 as I haven't driven a Skyline so equipped. Anyone who's driven mine is never unimpressed though.

Best suggestion I would have if you went to the 2871 is to acquire the Garrett unit and transplant the HKS turbine housing onto it to make it all bolt on easily.

Hmmmm.. Im getting 229rwkw @ 13psi with my 2530 at the moment and was looking to upgrade to the 2781 for 280~rwkw. Doesn't this turbo rate much higher than 225kw? I thought around 280-300??

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...rison_sheet.htm states that the turbo is rated from 250 (186kw) to 475hp (354kw)

I understand what you are saying about the housing. Either i get a stock turbo housing or use the HKS one?

Edited by SkyDragon

There are three compressor trim specifications for the 2871. I'd say that for any of them the turbine would be the stumbling block from a mass flow perspective if you wanted better than 250rwkW. I'd say your HKS housing would provide a definite flow advantage. Buy a complete Garrett turbocharger, remove the T25 flanged turbine housing, and swap in the T3 flanged HKS housing. If you ran the 52 trim version, then you would have created a GT-RS.

Without getting into any of the max power debates, the 2871 is a good unit, but a 48 trim may not be a massive step forwards from the HKS unit you're currently running. Also maybe not quite the right spec you'd want if chasing 280rwkW. Something out of the HKS Pro S range, or a Garrett GT30 IW based unit would be my preference for that type of output.

• 1 year later...

Pulling up and old thread but with a related question -

I have a new 2871r and HKS 2530 housings.

My plan is to use the 2871 (GT-RS spec - 52 trim, 0.6a/r) with the HKS 0.64 T3 exhaust housing.

Is there a chance I will run into compressor surge issues on an rb25?

Has anyone done this and had good results?

Considering you've got the same spec as a GT-RS, look at the results others have achieved with them.

Expect good results on-road, and don't worry about surge with either the 48 or 52 trim cartridges. The larger 56T would probably warrant use of a larger turbine.

Thanks, but why would HKS use a surge ported housing on their RB specific GT-RS?

I have the turbo already but im scared to go through the effort of fitting and tuning it only to find out it surges.

so if you have the RB specific HKS GTRS kit can you confirm what AR the T3 rear housing is? not that i dont trust HKS but id be a lil :) if its a .63

yet from what ive seen its such a gun turbo to have onroad.... guaranteed 250rwkw and massive area under the curve... excellent power delivery too.. Ooooh so tempting

so if you have the RB specific HKS GTRS kit can you confirm what AR the T3 rear housing is? not that i dont trust HKS but id be a lil :) if its a .63

yet from what ive seen its such a gun turbo to have onroad.... guaranteed 250rwkw and massive area under the curve... excellent power delivery too.. Ooooh so tempting

OF COURSE it's gonna be .63 or thereabouts, especially knowing HKS generally put quite small housings on turbos. No point putting a T3 .82 housing on a little turbo like that IMO.

The GT3071R is a much more efficient turbo AND comes already with a T3 flange so will bolt on to stock manifold with a spacer plate and either weld external gate flange to stock manifold or get an I/W turbine housing. Instead of making 250rwkw on 18-20psi like a 2871, u might make 250 on only 1 bar and have potential for more power down the track.

really quite pointless putting a 0.64 AR rear housing on, will eventually just choke the whole lot.

you have an RB, i'd really not be worried too much about the 64 rear.

I'll be buying a 2871R with a 52 trim front and a 0.86 rear for my SR20. the lag difference is really nominal between them, and if you're really worried about lag, just slap some bigger cams in and you'll move your boost threshold up another 200-400rpm.

really quite pointless putting a 0.64 AR rear housing on, will eventually just choke the whole lot.

you have an RB, i'd really not be worried too much about the 64 rear.

I'll be buying a 2871R with a 52 trim front and a 0.86 rear for my SR20. the lag difference is really nominal between them, and if you're really worried about lag, just slap some bigger cams in and you'll move your boost threshold up another 200-400rpm.

The issue with a 2871r is more the turbine size being too small to power the 71mm compressor more so than the housing size. Consensus amongst sr20 people is that the .64 is the housing to use - the .86 doesnt deliver on an sr20. The HKS gt-rs uses a .64 housing on their sr20 kit so this is an indication of what works best.