SAU Community

R34 N1's Or Gt2860r-7's

I am about to replace the turbos on my R33 GTR and i have a choice to make.

I can get R34 N1's through my mechanic for $1495 a piece or i can get GT2860r-7 for $1250 a piece from another retailer.

Which do you think i should go for? I am leaning towards the GT2860's because from what ive read they are the same specs and saving close to $500 is always good.

What are your opinions?

Cheers

I am about to replace the turbos on my R33 GTR and i have a choice to make.

I can get R34 N1's through my mechanic for $1495 a piece or i can get GT2860r-7 for $1250 a piece from another retailer.

Which do you think i should go for? I am leaning towards the GT2860's because from what ive read they are the same specs and saving close to $500 is always good.

What are your opinions?

Cheers

Hi mate,

I've installed GT2860r-5, a slightly larger turbo than N1 on my R34 GTR. Works very well and got turbos for same price as GT2860r-7. Was considering HKS GTSS but got garretts for much cheaper and works very well with a good tune. Check the prices on -5 as they were the same for -7s when I got them some 4-5 months ago. No compromise on lag and responses very well on pretty much anywhere on rev range...........now supporting 360+ rwkw.

Yes they are brand new for that price, im not risking second hand turbos.

I have looked at the -5's and have considered them but im really not looking for huge power, i dont think i will ever go over 300 at the very most. The main reason for me replacing my current turbos is because my original ones have major oil seal leaks and need replacing, i have been saving the money for new turbos for a while so saving 500 odd is really good for me.

Hi mate,

I've installed GT2860r-5, a slightly larger turbo than N1 on my R34 GTR. Works very well and got turbos for same price as GT2860r-7. Was considering HKS GTSS but got garretts for much cheaper and works very well with a good tune. Check the prices on -5 as they were the same for -7s when I got them some 4-5 months ago. No compromise on lag and responses very well on pretty much anywhere on rev range...........now supporting 360+ rwkw.

-5's are 2530 equivs... there is no way they are the same response as factory/-7's/GTSS/R34N1

There most certainly IS a compromise on lag and response compared to the smaller batch

-5's are 2530 equivs... there is no way they are the same response as factory/-7's/GTSS/R34N1

There most certainly IS a compromise on lag and response compared to the smaller batch

Thats what i was lead to believe.

I am after response over overall power. I am not wanting huge power, i mainly just want my car back on the road :)

I think ill go for the -7's it saves me money and i know they will do the job i want.

There is a black GTR I saw on an igition DVD - which isn't coming to mind right now

but its running N1 turbos on a built motor - 1.7 bar saw it 400kw @ all 4

They upgraded to 2860R turbos (not sure whst specs exactly) now and it makes about 424KW @ all 4

anyways just thought I'd throw that in :whistling:

Hi guys.

I have just done my turbos a couple of months ago on my R32 GTR.

I went for the 2860 -7 with the smaller exhaust housing.

I was told that this was a new smaller housing from Garret to try and reduce lag.

Now, don't shoot me for it because I don't know alot about it.

I know one thing. I was running standard GTR turbos with steel wheels and the difference is huge.

I feel that lag is now non existent which makes it for a real good street car.

I must say that I also installed dump pipes, computer and boost controller so obviously some of the improvements are also due to these extra bits.

Anyway, the car drives really well. The response is quite good.

Power wise, I do realise that power figures varies from place to place but to give you an indication of what was achieved with my current setup, the final power figure on what I believe is a safe tune was 280kw at 1.2 bar.

Anyway, this is my results with I am happy with so I thought that I would share it here.

There is a black GTR I saw on an igition DVD - which isn't coming to mind right now

but its running N1 turbos on a built motor - 1.7 bar saw it 400kw @ all 4

They upgraded to 2860R turbos (not sure whst specs exactly) now and it makes about 424KW @ all 4

anyways just thought I'd throw that in

thats rus's and marks car make 427rwkw on a built gt500 block and tomei internals awsome car i would def go with the 2860s you see nothing but good from them...

Edited by johnbarry88

thats rus's and marks car make 427rwkw on a built gt500 block and tomei internals awsome car i would def go with the 2860s you see nothing but good from them...

thats the one! fkn machine that thing

inspirational video that you should all watch: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TPPUMoDmWlk

running N1 turbos and making 400kw @ 1.7bar

The HKS GT-SS are cheap enough given the exchange rates. They are the pick for response/ road use.

They are a better turbo for the application than the -7's. Might cost a few hundred more but, the value is there.

You never asked if he changed cams ,has adjustable pulleys or has an after market computer.

But yes........power output is larger with the 2530's and lag is greater.

If you are not wishing to change anything else on the car except for Turbo's you have made the right choice.