SAU Community

Road And Track Comparison. Gt-r Vs Z06 Vs 911 Turbo

ausgtr

For those that follow Japanese cars, the GT-R is a classic.

It just doesn't have the international recognition right now that the Porsche does, and the Vette only has "pedigree" because America exports its culture rather than a history of internatonal success.

I do realise the C7R is doing really well in Le Mans, but that's a relatively recent thing compared to Porsche's international racing history.

In a competition like Targa Tasmania, its always skewed towards the AWD entries. Its near impossible for one day to not have precipitation, whether it be rain or snow. The stages in Targa are also quite tight, and a high powered RWD car isn't going to have the 2nd gear corner exit grip an AWD car does.

Jim Richards has lost, a few times, to a WRX in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS despite all his knowledge of the roads. I was down there in 04 to watch Sullens beat Richards. It snowed on the last day, which basically decided it.

But, on a dry circuit and with "equal" mods, there's no way a WRX could keep up with a GT3 RS.

I think the Z06 will similarly struggle in Targa, but its not indicative of its circuit performance.

Targa Tasmania next month should settle it...... 3 Z06's entered fighting one 35 GTR, go down the "Modern" entries here, and all with be virtually standard cars;

http://www.targa.com.au/Competitors/Entries.html

Wow, I didn't even know there were three Z06's in Australia, let alone competing in Targa.

Have they competed in Targas before? I've never noticed them.

That was a great read... its a set up, the drivers have been paid off, the tyres are wrong on the Z06.

What really made it for me was the line "Id like to see how it goes after 4 or 5 laps". LOL, you wouldnt see it any more lads, thats the point.

What really made it for me was the line "Id like to see how it goes after 4 or 5 laps". LOL, you wouldnt see it any more lads, thats the point.

The Z06's strength is its endurance capabilities, hence its success in ALMS, and why Corvette fanboys bring up running for longer than "one lap dashes".

There are plenty of street cars that will set a blistering single flying lap, but then overheat all its fluids and pads after a half a dozen. It is an issue experienced more by turbo cars than NA, due to the higher heat per unit volume they generate.

It is a valid comment, but if Nissan built the R35 anything like the R34 Z-Tune (which was engineered for all the components to be able to handle 15 minutes at "time attack" pace on a circuit) then it would more than holds its own over a longer distance.

In a competition like Targa Tasmania, its always skewed towards the AWD entries. Its near impossible for one day to not have precipitation, whether it be rain or snow. The stages in Targa are also quite tight, and a high powered RWD car isn't going to have the 2nd gear corner exit grip an AWD car does.

Jim Richards has lost, a few times, to a WRX in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS despite all his knowledge of the roads. I was down there in 04 to watch Sullens beat Richards. It snowed on the last day, which basically decided it.

But, on a dry circuit and with "equal" mods, there's no way a WRX could keep up with a GT3 RS.

I think the Z06 will similarly struggle in Targa, but its not indicative of its circuit performance.

yeh but it is indicative of its on road performance. it rains when dirving on the road, and tight corners are certainly somthing you have to deal with... gtr = faster