SAU Community

Garrett Gt3071r

Guest Rotary20B

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they supply a spacer/adapter plate for the 3071r

but they have a 2871r that they say is a T3 direct bolt on, with only adapters for oil and water required.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.p...roducts_id=6596

i thought the garret's didnt come in T3

Edited by Munkyb0y

Guest Rotary20B

They have a few different 3071r's, the one I linked to is a direct bolt on for the RB25. You can but their water and oil feeds

Obviously they have sourced reproductions of the RB25 and VG30 housings, mating them up to Garrett cartridges. That gives the advertised 0.63 and 0.71 A/R.

GCG and HPinabox are doing similar products.

Simon-R32 is running the 3071, which comes with the 56.5mm cropped version of that turbine. It also has a 0.5 A/R comp cover, which is big enough to flow 280 rwkW. I would suspect that the larger 0.70 cover used by tweakit is being used purely for underbonnet bling and it will necessitate the use of a spacer plate for the turbine mounting just to get clearance from the manifold.

I ran a 2871 hybrid similar to the tweakit version. Not hard to fit up, and gave plenty of responsive poke.

FWIW, those power claims each seem a bit high. But they'd likely do a pretty good job for the money. Just another option out there in the market.

that appears to be the exact same turbo that i got from GCG. if thats the case then you'll expect excellent performance from it, its not laggy at all and can make the numbers! Mine is making 280 rwkw atm on 17 psi

Does yours have the 1.06 exhaust housing, when does it hit full boost?

Obviously they have sourced reproductions of the RB25 and VG30 housings, mating them up to Garrett cartridges. That gives the advertised 0.63 and 0.71 A/R.

I have contacted them about this, apparently it is a garret housing.

dont forget to add the fitting kit (the option is down the bottom) which will cost you an extra $680 to make it a bolt on.

i am looking at getting one of these after i have rebuilt my engine.

The sum of the parts of the fitting kit doesn't equal the $680 price tag. The base turbo is certainly cheap, but once you add in the fitting kit you may as well talk to your local turbo supplier as the price will balance out.

Just a word of warning for the uninitiated: The specs listed for that turbo are not 3071 specs. If you want to see the proper specs then go to www.turbobygarrett.com and look up the 3071. It lists both the cropped and uncropped versions.

I have no idea why you'd want to run a t04s comp cover on a 3071. The fact that it's listed with a .7 cover makes me think they either don't know what they are listing, or they have mislabeled the turbo. The one in the pic is a t2 flanged i/w version of a 3071 though. 550hp is a bit optimistic as well.

the .71 turbine housing is most definately not a genuine garrett unit, though there's nothing wrong with them if simons results are anything to go by.

Does yours have the 1.06 exhaust housing, when does it hit full boost?

I have contacted them about this, apparently it is a garret housing.

dont forget to add the fitting kit (the option is down the bottom) which will cost you an extra $680 to make it a bolt on.

i am looking at getting one of these after i have rebuilt my engine.

No mine has the .71AR rear housing. full boost at around 3500 rpm. sure its a cropped turbo, but my results and findings have been in several threads now... its a good turbo

if i were to do it all again i'd go a proper 3071 hands down.

whats a proper 3071 then? cause il be buying one real soon.

if its a non genuine garrett unit with the .71 rear housing what are the right specs.

would i be better off going for the 3076r? as i am looking for about 280rwk on 16-17psi or so.

Edited by R33GOD

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with HP/box and there version of the 3071 has a .50a/r comp 56t wheel but the exh a/r was a.73 which they custom build and he couldn't even remember the exh wheel size/trim which leads me to believe it's the cropped one, but overall it seems like a good turbo, bolts to the stock dump and manifold with a 10mm spacer, oil/water lines need making.

Edited by turbomad

I am about to organise a group buy through garrett for a bolt on kit they designed for the RB25

I have the prototype on my car making 295rwkw.

The kit is a direct bolt on and is also rated to 550 hp. It will also come with a dump pipe.

Cost is in the ballpark of $2500. Makes full boost (18psi) by 3100 rpm.

Do you guys think there will be much interest?

Min purchase is 5 at a time. I have sold 2 already, if I get another 3 interested the group buy will go ahead.

Obviously more specs will be posted if there is any interest.

does it come with the fitting kit?

im assuming it is the same turbo as here http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.p...roducts_id=6598 and that one with fitting kit would still come in under 2500 delivered.

is there a difference between yours and theres and can you do a better price with out the dump pipe as most people want one of these so it will bolt up to the dump pipe they already have.

I'd be interested to see whats in the kit.

All installed inc fabrication of new intake piping (which is incomplete, no bov or bov return atm), new dump and front pipe, turbo, lines silicone joiners i didn't already have lying around, spacer, new studs, gaskets, nuts i reckon ball park 2900 cost all up, 3k if you do the head/manifold gasket.

edit, you posted while i was typing. stock lines would save 250 on their own, though i'd be interested to see it. how do you get around the spacer issue with stock lines?

Edited by BHDave

i'm interested in seeing more ever since you originally posted the results trooper.

interested in whether this ends up being a 52 trim 76mm compressor when someone pulls one apart.

if they are a bolt on and your results are duplicated they will sell like hotcakes.

+1 for interest here

Edited by wolverine

Trooper ages ago when I asked your contact he said it had a sleeve pressed into its turbine housing which was re-profiled to suit the cropped GT30 UHP turbine . At that stage the proper Garrett petrol spec GT30 IW T3 flanged turbine housings had been not been released so at times less than perfect alternatives were being used . He did quote its Garrett BB CHRA number and I don't recall which one it was other than it had the cropped turbine .

The real GT3071R can be bought or I should say ordered with the designed by Garrett GT30 turbine housing and you'll know its a complete factory matching assembly . Not machined or altered in any way other than its original design parameters .

To make a real IW GT3071R kit for an RB20/25 is straightforward . The water and oil fittings are the same for any GT BB Garrett turbo from GT2554R up to GT3582R because they all use the same bearing housing .

One you have the spacer and fasteners to get the compressor housing off the exhaust manifold all that's left is the air in/out plumbing and the exhaust outlet pipe .

I'm surprised that at this stage no ones made jigs and produced dump pipes to mate a GT30 IW turbine housing to an R33's engine pipe . The genuine GT3582R IW turbine housing uses the same outlet flange dimensions so such a dump pipe could easily cover the whole GT30R/GT35R range meaning the real GT3071R , the real GT3076R and the GT3582R . You could buy it once and know it suits turbos from ~ 420 - 650 horsepower plus and bolts straight onto an R33 RB25DET with any of these turbos .

Anyhow Trooper I don't know if the turbo you are talking about is the same as the one you had when we last spoke but if it is there are issues with non factory turbo components if they need to be replaced at short notice . One down side is that it chains you to the mob who produced it and if you fall out with them or can't reach them its a bad outlook .

To each their own , I'm waiting for the results of the real GT3071R with the genuine Garrett GT30 IW 0.63 A/R turbine housing on an R33 RB25DET . As an all rounder for your typical R33 driver I think it should be pretty good .

Time will tell , my opinions only cheers A .

There's already a group buy started for a 3071R at $1500 sure it needs oil lines and your dump modified to fit but that would still fall well short of $2500, can you do any better if we do get 10 orders?

Trooper I think that if Garrett Sydney want to generate some interest they are going to have to show what they're offering or it all remains a mystery , and many perceive mystery to be risk .

I know there is also risk involved with copying and undercutting but once there are a few sets in circulation the cats out anyway .

I'm mildly curious to see what they've come up with but it would have to be something pretty effective and convienent to separate me from my money .

Over to you , cheers A .