SAU Community

Diff's - Whats The Diff? 1 Way, 1.5 Way, 2 Way

Yeah kgf = kilograms of force.

1 kgf = 10Newtons.

It is the plate pre-load.

I set my Nismo diff to the middle setting & there are more clunks than a clunk convention - although clunkage is dependent on the clutch plate size, number and to a lesser degree the diff ramp angle.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, the ol sneaky edit while I was posting trick! not sure if they are right but they should be if you found it in one of my other posts. the difference i believe is the preload.

haha sorry mate. I found the pt# for the R200 in the Nismo online catalogue. I don't want the thing clunking around sharp corners as it's still used on the street more than the track, so i'll go for the 8kgf version.

Cheers Guys

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, just an update on my Nismo GT Pro 1.5way...

been in the car a few weeks now and I just changed the oil over to Redline 80-140W Gear oil... has reaaaally smoothed the diff up. Before it used to really clunk and bang and feel like the arse end of the car was going to fall out.. I was going to start dosing the diff with separate friction modifier just to see but instead changed the oil out altogether. Unfortunately I can't say what was in there to begin with - the guy who fitted and setup my diff did not use the Nismo oil it came with and put in 'what he recommended'. But the point is that the choice of oil can and does affect how 'streetable' the diff is. Mine now still skips the outside tyre on the pavement on tight turns, but without all the other crash/bang/fkin-thump from the back.. I reckon if I put a little friction modifier in there now, I could further smooth it up - but as mine is more for track than street - I'm happy where it is. Just enough to show me its still locking, and smooth enough not to piss me off on the street.

So just a heads up. If you do get a harsh diff - try oil or friction modifier to smooth it up a bit - it does help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think about the Carbonetic/ATS (same company) Carbon LSD? They are really popular with the 350z(Fairlady Z) and now starting to catch on with the Supras and Silvias. Anyone test one on any year GTR?