SAU Community

My Stock R33,

Hey SAU,

i have recently brought a 1994 R33 Series 1(?) with 18's sporting brand new toyo proxe t1R's(thank god there brand new, because i just priced them :cool: ), K+N panel filter in stock air box, jasma rear muffler and catback system and aftermarket heavy duty suspension.

Anyway to the question..i just brought a GReddy PRotec B-spec 2 electronic boost controller on the weekend and i need to know a few things:

- i did a search and found that i can run 10psi safely without needing a remap of the ecu, but the turbo can handle 12-13psi?so if i turn it up to 10psi do i have to do anything else besides running 98oct. (which i already am)?will it do any damage?will that be lean or rich?

- im going to run 10psi as my high setting, and 5 or 7psi as my low setting. they say the low setting cannot be lower than standard, which psi is standard because i thought its 5psi to 5krpm, then from 5krpm its 7psi. so will that dual stage boost go when i install this?

- can i install this and run 10psi for squirts and say 5 or 7psi (which one?) for work, without an intercooler?

Please help me out guys,

Cheers Dan.

i'd say boost it to 10psi and let your right foot control the boost.

i have three settings on my e-boost 2 and i leave it on high all the time.

just learn how to control your foot.

haha ill try!so can i run 10psi w/out a front mount intercooler?it will just be not as efficient as a front mount would be???

so whats the lowest boost i can run?i need a little bit of fuel economy as im a 3rd yr sparky, ha.

Anyone else help?

i think its 7psi for manual and 5psi for auto.. not 100% but meh its late and no one else is likely to reply before me :D

yea 10psi is safe just don't plant it all the time and when it hits boost just go easy on the pedal..

Hey SAU,

i have recently brought a 1994 R33 Series 1(?) with 18's sporting brand new toyo proxe t1R's(thank god there brand new, because i just priced them :D ), K+N panel filter in stock air box, jasma rear muffler and catback system and aftermarket heavy duty suspension.

Anyway to the question..i just brought a GReddy PRotec B-spec 2 electronic boost controller on the weekend and i need to know a few things:

- i did a search and found that i can run 10psi safely without needing a remap of the ecu, but the turbo can handle 12-13psi?so if i turn it up to 10psi do i have to do anything else besides running 98oct. (which i already am)?will it do any damage?will that be lean or rich?

- im going to run 10psi as my high setting, and 5 or 7psi as my low setting. they say the low setting cannot be lower than standard, which psi is standard because i thought its 5psi to 5krpm, then from 5krpm its 7psi. so will that dual stage boost go when i install this?

- can i install this and run 10psi for squirts and say 5 or 7psi (which one?) for work, without an intercooler?

Please help me out guys,

Cheers Dan.

Why the hell do people say "brought" when they bought something? Fark it sh1ts me.

Anyway.....

You will run up to 9-10psi before you hit rich and retard.Then its new ECU time.

depending on where u live and how you treat the car, at 10psi on cold mornings you may hit the fuel cut as well...

So just baby the car when cold and dont let it go on boost until water and oil temps come up

stock is 5psi till bout 4500prm and then 7psi to the end. doesnt matter if its auto or manual. im running constant 7psi. comes on @ 2500ish. love it. 10 should be safe enough

Mine went bang on stock boost after 10 years :D I was planning on increasing the boost using a controller, but am waiting for a new turbo to go in. I dunno how anyone measures 'should be safe' :) I think it's very much a case of try it and see, and if it goes bang... '5h1t eh!'

You will run up to 9-10psi before you hit rich and retard.Then its new ECU time.

- So when you say "9-10psi before you hit rich and retard.Then its new ECU time." do you mean that my ECU is limiting it or the ECU will be damaged?

- Also is rich and retard safe and just wasting fuel or is it just as bad as running lean for the engine?

- So when i increase the boost, the ecu automatically goes richer according to the airflow rate?

>>reply to other ppl<<

- Why do you have to take it easy on the accelerator on 10psi?so 10 isnt safe..?

Looking Forward to Some Answers..

Dan.

i'd say boost it to 10psi and let your right foot control the boost.

i have three settings on my e-boost 2 and i leave it on high all the time.

just learn how to control your foot.

boost can be controlled by your foot - yeah. but even if you use the pedal to 'limit' the boost at 7psi you're getting nowhere near the acceleration as if it were set to 7psi to begin with and being at WOT.

- So when you say "9-10psi before you hit rich and retard.Then its new ECU time." do you mean that my ECU is limiting it or the ECU will be damaged?

- Also is rich and retard safe and just wasting fuel or is it just as bad as running lean for the engine?

- So when i increase the boost, the ecu automatically goes richer according to the airflow rate?

>>reply to other ppl<<

- Why do you have to take it easy on the accelerator on 10psi?so 10 isnt safe..?

Looking Forward to Some Answers..

Dan.

your ecu reads all of this extra air and fuel and goes.. WTF!!? and turns back the timing and adds fuel.

to your ecu - extra air is the devil so it dumps a whole lot of fuel to make sure its safe. its not bad for it, but its not good - too much fuel can wash oil off your bores. in extreme cases you could score your bores.

your airflow rate is calculated by your AFM voltage at certain rpm. if you hit a certain voltage at a certain rpm your ecu will ad X amount of fuel. if you increase the flow rate, your ecu will (in a way) shit itself and cut everything all together. when i had my hiflow installed i was hitting 3.8v at around 3000rpm which made it feel like hitting a brick wall - you just lose all power and it did it again at around 4.8v @ 5500 rpm.

Thanks heaps for the answers, especially the last one that was exactly what i needed!!!

BUT. now i need to know what i have to do/what are my options because i want to up the boost safely without replacing the ECU or Turbo...Yet. So when i put the boost controller in apparently you can turn it off and run stock boost?how does that work,i thought this was replacing the stock unit?(i do want stock boost for drives to work!whether it be through turning the controller off or setting it to low).

So what would people recommend my high and low boost settings be?can low be 5psi or 7psi(does it still depend on rpm)?what can high be 8 or 9 safely?(because it sounds like 10psi isnt safe...?)

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Dan.

You can run 9 or 10 with no dramas.If you want low boost to drive to work, just drive the car normally and you wont see anywhere near 10psi.

The car does not run boost all the time,only when you get your foot into it.

So 10psi IS safe?have many people on here run that, with no damage reports?so when i get a front mounted intercooler that puts your boost up doesnt it(read that on here somewhere..)?but because i have a boost controller it keeps it the same, just with more lag?also with the boost controller it has a heap on settings like SET,GAIN,START BOOST,WARNING,LIMITER,PEAK,LAST BOOST,etc. does anyone have any tips when setting these?

So when i want more power ill need to get a New ECU(Recommendations?),New Turbo or Hiflow Stock(Recommendations?)?

Dan.

Get a mate to drive while you adjust the settings incremantally til you reach

the desired boost level.

I'm running 9 PSI on low and 12 PSI on high. For daily driving i turn it off, which

sets it back to stock 7 PSI.

Get a mate to drive while you adjust the settings incremantally til you reach

the desired boost level.

I'm running 9 PSI on low and 12 PSI on high. For daily driving i turn it off, which

sets it back to stock 7 PSI.

Cheers mate. out of curiousity what mods have you got to be able to run 12psi?are you also using a profec b-spec 2?so you can turn the controller off and run stock boost?i thought when you install the controller you disconnect the stock one?did you install it or professional?im thinking of tweed autobarn where i brought it from?they anygood?

Dan.