SAU Community

Remove Adhesive Without Damaging Paint

Hi everyone, the other day when I was at work someone put some kind of glue/adhesive on my bonnet (it isn't alot probabley 1cm x 3cm) anyway that's not really the point. I was wondering if anyone had any idea's of what I could use to remove it without dulling or damaging the paint, or am I totally screwed and need to sand and respray.

Thanks,

I might have to give the euclyptus oil a go, I have read different forums but none really state what can be used to remove any type of adhesive without damaging the paint work, most specify a type. I probabley should have thought of this before posting but I think my best bet is to speak to a spray painter and see what they recommend, I'm so pissed about this the paint job is only 5mths old.

Thanks anyway

I have has sucess in removing adhesive from dbl sided tape and the like using shellite and euclyptus oil.

I've found Meguiars' Bug and Tar Remover to work wonders on this type of adhesive.

^^^^^Dude man, don't ever use nail varnish/polish remover on car paint. Other things yes maybe but not paint. Its the same stuff as thinners/laquer.

Mineral Turpentine is fine to use on your paint. Depends on the glue used though as said before. Its also great for taking of tar spots. Cheap and effective.

Edited by KeyMaker

prepsol?? though it might take the shine off your gloss

i read somewhere that nail varnish remover is good for removing superglue

Lost the gloss on my paint using citric adhesive remover. Had to dilute it with water and helped a little. Still needs cut and polish though :(

Just thought i'd update you all, everything all good I ended up using eucalyptus oil and it worked perfectly remove the adhesive without damaging the paint.

Thanks for all you replys

:(