SAU Community

Vq25det M35 Stagea Turbo, I Need A New One

danwatt

Yeah, one of these days I will get to it!

Do you recommend the workshop that highflowed your turbo?

And just to confirm, did they merely replace your internals or did you go for a new turbo housing?

I would like to keep the turbo externals and just replace the insides.

Highly recommend them....they do our R31 Group A and the Winfield R32 Group A turbo's....plus numerous others.

Exhaust and inlet housing is the same....BB part different as Dan said.....as I have also said in previous threads if you choose to change the BB part this is a fairly fiddly job....will give you pointers though....just don't want to get my hands dirty :/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Highly recommend them....they do our R31 Group A and the Winfield R32 Group A turbo's....plus numerous others.

Exhaust and inlet housing is the same....BB part different as Dan said.....as I have also said in previous threads if you choose to change the BB part this is a fairly fiddly job....will give you pointers though....just don't want to get my hands dirty :/

dont blame you about getting the hands dirty, why couldnt the turbo be in a better spot :)

• 1 month later...
dont blame you about getting the hands dirty, why couldnt the turbo be in a better spot :P

Hi, i have an m35 with 50000 kls on it.The turbo gets a hi pitched whistle when it comes on boost.No apparent loss of power.It doesnt blow any smoke.Should i be worried?

I have just given it its 1st service.My mate the mechanic, who has a lot of experience with turbos said he wasnt sure if there is a problem but he did say he noticed a lot of heat has been generated on and around the turbo.His suggestion was to upgrade the exhaust from the turbo to 3" to improve the airflow.Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Hi, i have an m35 with 50000 kls on it.The turbo gets a hi pitched whistle when it comes on boost.No apparent loss of power.It doesnt blow any smoke.Should i be worried?

I have just given it its 1st service.My mate the mechanic, who has a lot of experience with turbos said he wasnt sure if there is a problem but he did say he noticed a lot of heat has been generated on and around the turbo.His suggestion was to upgrade the exhaust from the turbo to 3" to improve the airflow.Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Sound is normal.

Definitely upgrade the exhaust from turbo or dump back to 3".

Definitely get the 3in exhaust from turbo back. Having got rid of the pod and now with a quieter exhaust all i can hear is the whistle of the GCG highflow. Ask a fellow M35 owner to take a ride with you to judge whether your turbo is unusually loud.

Definitely get the 3in exhaust from turbo back. Having got rid of the pod and now with a quieter exhaust all i can hear is the whistle of the GCG highflow. Ask a fellow M35 owner to take a ride with you to judge whether your turbo is unusually loud.

I have driven an m35 on a test drive. it was much quieter.This sounds more like a siren in the distance.My other car is an attesa bluebird with a gt2871. you can hear it spool with a higher pitch. . No, its different to that. :)

Mine had that same squealing sound when coming up on boost and its not good. The problem is that there is a small 10mm bolt on the side of the turbo that holds the hitachi bearing cartridge to keep the both turbine wheels in the correct position (longitudinal movement). In my car this came loose and the wheel moved forward and was rubbing on the compressor housing, It was boosting fine but wore out the seals and started to smoke. Still boosted and ran ok.

Mine had that same squealing sound when coming up on boost and its not good. The problem is that there is a small 10mm bolt on the side of the turbo that holds the hitachi bearing cartridge to keep the both turbine wheels in the correct position (longitudinal movement). In my car this came loose and the wheel moved forward and was rubbing on the compressor housing, It was boosting fine but wore out the seals and started to smoke. Still boosted and ran ok.

Hi Dan, the sound you are describing,is it a metallic screaming sound ,or a whistle type .?The sound i am hearing is a whistle type sound that raises in pitch the faster the turbo is spooling. :action-smiley-069:

The high pitched sound could be a loose bolt on the turbo manifold. Happened in my SR20. I didnt get around to tightening the bolt and ended up having to replace the turbo gasket.

Hi Dan, the sound you are describing,is it a metallic screaming sound ,or a whistle type .?The sound i am hearing is a whistle type sound that raises in pitch the faster the turbo is spooling. :action-smiley-069:

If just a bit of a whistle then thats OK as they all seem to do that due to the geometry of the exhaust manifold and dump pipe.

If just a bit of a whistle then thats OK as they all seem to do that due to the geometry of the exhaust manifold and dump pipe.

Yes it is a whistle,(fairly loud),i think what i will do is get my mate to pull the turbo off as a precaution,to check it out.It might be a good excuse to then get it hi flowed.Along with a bigger exhaust, i should think that would do me nicely.

thanks for your input. :action-smiley-069:

• 1 year later...

Ok glad I found this post. I too have noticed this whistle under acceleration/boost. When I first bought car and heard sound I was like "Oh no!". I thought signs of turbo on way out. But after driving more and more I am not convinced. I think its just how the car is. Then I found people saying its normal for this car/engine/nissan. So I wanted to know if anyone can confirm its normal? I also found this review of stagea against holden wagon SS which suggest its normal - http://www.testdrivenau.co.cc/?p=553

Also Here is a link to a sound file I took of me driving in carpark (sorry cant figure how to attach to this post) http://www.4shared.com/get/v_2oZU0M/File.html. Can really hear it in effect.

Can anyone please put my mind at ease.

Cheers!

Have a read of this thread;

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/M3...cs-t192998.html

This may help with the turbo.

What has happened to your current turbo?

Are you aware that be replaceing the exhaust the boost goes from about 0.8bar to 1.0 bar. I think that is the right number or about 14psi. So yu gain a lot of power just with a new better flowing exhaust.

Cheers

Andy

i cant escape this for my turbo upgrade either..and im not paying someone

looking at that thread andy it looked like it couldve been done better no? in regards to just angle grinding said bolts off.

Ive heard on the grape vine you and jetwreck did it 13 hours?

hoping i can go the other way and engine hoist it out with gearbox attached. to stick on the shed floor. any advice would be helpfull!

Edited by PetroDola

looking at that thread andy it looked like it couldve been done better no? in regards to just angle grinding said bolts off.

hoping i can go the other way and engine hoist it out with gearbox attached. to stick on the shed floor. any advice would be helpfull!

Keir

here is the thread I was telling you about. I've got one part you can have......but you are better off getting Scott to make it with the SP.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/M3...ons+of+interest

Edited by Jetwreck

Yes, 13 hour and going back in today to fix a small oil leak.

The recommended route in the future is to remove the engine and do the install then put it back in. Jetwreck quotes 3 hours to get the motor out.

You don't need to lift the motor out as the whole front of the car can be removed and the motor be taken directly forward.

Cheers

Andy

Keir

here is the thread I was telling you about. I've got one part you can have......but you are better off getting Scott to make it with the SP.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/M3...ons+of+interest

Hrms whats this part you speak of craig out of that kit?

Had to do the same with the rolla hiflow.. custom speedflow fittings for oil and water , braided lines , custom cooler fitting, so i presume its a similar job.

Yes, 13 hour and going back in today to fix a small oil leak.

The recommended route in the future is to remove the engine and do the install then put it back in. Jetwreck quotes 3 hours to get the motor out.

You don't need to lift the motor out as the whole front of the car can be removed and the motor be taken directly forward.

Cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy,

Good to know.. ill be going that way then , as i've got limited room in a single garage.

does anyone know the model written on the body of the turbo off hand or have a stock turbo they could look at and tell me?

I need to know for a quote for a hiflow!

apart from the obvious garrett .60a/r M24N-1 written on the inlet side.

does anyone know the model written on the body of the turbo off hand or have a stock turbo they could look at and tell me?

I need to know for a quote for a hiflow!

apart from the obvious garrett .60a/r M24N-1 written on the inlet side.

I don't think there is a model number written on it... I can check tonight if needed.

I would be giving the turbo ONLY to someone who has done this turbo before as it is special.