SAU Community

Camera Mount

PranK

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and gentlemen, sorry for the wait - my thanks to PranK for raising some interest in my little project here.

Without further ado, I present to you, pictures of the camera mount:

cm1.jpg

cm2.jpg

cm3.jpg

I don't have any pictures of it set up in a car, perhaps PranK will provide some later, but these photos should give you a fair idea how things work. Typically, you'll have the suction cup attached to your rear window, and the camera standing on your rear parcel shelf supported by the tripod. So, your camera will see something like this:

cmount.jpg

Initially I only made a few of these for friends like PranK, but seeing the interest shown here, I am prepared to do a 'production run'. My price to PranK was 'mate's rates' and not including the mini tripod, so price including tripod will be $80 each, less if I get plenty of orders, seeing as how this is a group buy. If you would like one, please email me (blahboy -at- iinet.net.au) so I can prepare accordingly. Cheers!

I've just gone through this thread and realised how long ago it was started - apologies to the people who were hanging out for this, PranK didn't really let on the full extent of what was happening.

If all of the people who said they were interested still are, then please, let me know now, I think the price will be closer to $70. I also noticed in the forum rules I'm not supposed to ask people to post expressions of interest... so I guess I'm sort of taking orders. Please either post here again if you want one or email me, or send a PM.

ill take one without tri pod as ive got the little tripod thingy already, $60 ??? u would be able to stick it on like the front window as well hey ???  

Clint

You can put it at the front of the car no problem.

$60 sans tripod could be achievable, it's entirely dependant on numbers. Reason is that I can source the suction cup cheaply from a wholesaler, but there is a minimum order quantity. Otherwise, if I get them retail, it will be about twice as expensive, plus each unit carries a larger burden of shipping. So if you're interested but concerned about price, step forward, and I'll work things as best I can.

is the camera hard to install?  where does it go?

The whole thing is really easy to set up, all consumer still and video cameras have a thread on the bottom that is standard sized, which attaches to the thread on the mount.

I'm afraid I still don't have any photos of it set up in a car, so here's an embarassingly cheesy sketch done by me in MS Paint in an attempt to explain:

sketch.gif

Obviously, the drawing is rough, but hopefully you get the idea. Depending on the car, the mount might be set up with the camera towards the rear glass rather than away, and if there's a real lack of room back there, then you would omit the tripod and sit the base of the camera mount directly on the rear parcel shelf. Leaving the camera hanging isn't recommended as you don't get a steady picture. Hope this helps!

Bugger it, I'll take one! I've got a great mount attached to my rollcage in the mini, and was thinking of getting one made up that mounts between the rear passenger grab rails (like the custom made WRX Club ones for WRXs). It hangs the camera right in the middle of the car... but this suction cup version is available so I might as well grab it!