SAU Community

One Piece Tailshaft Gtr

Can anyone tell me about or direct me to discussion on, one piece tailshaft conversions on GTR33'S.To me centre bearings are just another annoying part that can let you down, I assume they are designed for ground clearance but not sure on that.Cheers Grey Pearl.

Can anyone tell me about or direct me to discussion on, one piece tailshaft conversions on GTR33'S.To me centre bearings are just another annoying part that can let you down, I assume they are designed for ground clearance but not sure on that.Cheers Grey Pearl.

Does anyone know if carbon fibre one piece tail shafts come made up with all uni joints and the correct length for 33GTR'S??

Does anyone know if carbon fibre one piece tail shafts come made up with all uni joints and the correct length for 33GTR'S??

Thanx for the reply mate,Can't commit at this stage still doing my homework on whether it's a good upgrade for the street,also noticed the pics on the link showed two shafts not one as I would have expected??.Cheers Grey Pearl.

Edited by grey pearl

nah, they are one piece. the two piece one is the standard shaft.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&id=148802

Cheers mate, I went back and had another look after posting and then realised it was a comparison photo,my only fear with changing to carbon fibre is that a lot of people believe that one piece vibrate and load up the rear diff, I'm only really concerned with the vibration aspect as loading up the diff will happen only when abusing in my opinion,what do you think Baron??

well my feeling is going from a 2 piece to 1 piece will definitely indtroduce some more NHV. the factory one with the centre donut obviously dampens things nicely. as to whether or not it will be unbearable on a GTR I'm not sure, I haven't specifically used a 32 GTR with one in it. in some models of car the are fine, in others they are pretty average.

also consider unique autosports: www.nismo.com.au sell 1 piece alloy shafts for about $400 and are still very light.

well my feeling is going from a 2 piece to 1 piece will definitely indtroduce some more NHV. the factory one with the centre donut obviously dampens things nicely. as to whether or not it will be unbearable on a GTR I'm not sure, I haven't specifically used a 32 GTR with one in it. in some models of car the are fine, in others they are pretty average.

also consider unique autosports: www.nismo.com.au sell 1 piece alloy shafts for about $400 and are still very light.

Hey Baron cheers for the pics man so awesome, I and I suspect many others had no idea how connected you are and for that reason I'm going to ask you to do those of us who are interested a big favour, returning to the original flavour of this thread, and that is to ask your friend at Prime Garage what he thinks about 1 piece carbon fibre driveshafts as he would know for sure and probably knows why nissan didn't use them on anything but their race cars,would that be asking too much, if so no worries ,just an inspired thought I had.

Also looking at the comparison pics, the one piece doesn't look much longer than the two piece so I don't reckon the spin factor will come into it as carbon fibre is so tough and I'm sure it is moulded around the steel fittings in such a way that it's unbreakable,after all they rate the weakest one at 1000h/p and the tough one at 2000h/p,also excuse my ignorance but does nhv stand for non harmonic vibrations or something else?? Cheers Grey Pearl.

Edited by grey pearl

NVH = Noise, Vibration & Harshness

Cheers

Gary

Thanx for that mate, what do you think about these carbon fibre shafts.??Cheers Grey Pearl.

Edited by grey pearl

I am getting a one peice tailshaft put into my car as the centre bearing was going on my standard one. The price to get the standard one fixed was actually more than getting a one piece tailshaft made up.

I am getting a one peice tailshaft put into my car as the centre bearing was going on my standard one. The price to get the standard one fixed was actually more than getting a one piece tailshaft made up.

Great mate, Let us know exactly what brand it is and the material type,as I've read bad things about metal ones,which have no give in them, and virtually nothing about carbon fibre ones which apparantly do have some give but I suspect are made as an alternative strictly with strength in mind.The two things we all need to consider with these mods are vibration and shock loading to the diff and probably the gearbox as increased directness of torque application comes into play with less moving parts or drive interference between drive points happens.

It is with this in mind that I have delayed my decision on doing it pending a reply from Beer Baron regarding whether he will talk to Prime Garage on our behalf to clarify the reality of this mod to street applications.Looking forward to his reply to this request one way or the other.Cheers Grey Pearl.

Great mate, Let us know exactly what brand it is and the material type,as I've read bad things about metal ones,which have no give in them, and virtually nothing about carbon fibre ones which apparantly do have some give but I suspect are made as an alternative strictly with strength in mind.The two things we all need to consider with these mods are vibration and shock loading to the diff and probably the gearbox as increased directness of torque application comes into play with less moving parts or drive interference between drive points happens.

It is with this in mind that I have delayed my decision on doing it pending a reply from Beer Baron regarding whether he will talk to Prime Garage on our behalf to clarify the reality of this mod to street applications.Looking forward to his reply to this request one way or the other.Cheers Grey Pearl.

A few things:

1: No one who is running RE55's should be worried about NVH. It is far, far too late.

2: The best remedy for avoiding shock loading to the drive train is to use a sprung centre clutch.

3: Carbon fibre is usually used for stiffness. For that matter there is only a relatively small variance in Young Modulus of steels relative to their strength. So it is probably wrong to say the cf shaft will give more than the steel equivalent.

4: The one piece shaft only has one extra link in it. If you stock shaft is in good condition there should be little slop in the tailshaft anyway.

5: Vibration from single piece tailshafts are most commonly concerned with their "whirling" velocity which is a geometric propoerty, not one related to strength. The longer & skinnier the shaft, the lower the natural harmonic frequency.

Thanx for that mate, what do you think about these carbon fibre shafts.??Cheers Grey Pearl.

If I had the money I would buy one for the R32GTST race car in an instant.

Cheers

Gary

Rob, sure I can ask Tets at prime about his thoughts, but to be honest the advice from djr81 and sydneykid will be just as accurate and relevant. also I wont get a response for a bit as it's a japanese national holiday at the moment.

the main reasons they run the 2 piece in factory road cars is:

1. to reduce NVH and

2. safety. running a 1 piece without a tailshaft loop or 2 can be a problem as if the uni joints at the front fail the thing can become a nice long pole vault as the front digs into the tarmac sending you on a merry journey. it's not common by any means but can happen. though this problem can be minimised wih a simple loop to catch the shaft if this happens.

I would imagine that with the momentum and weight of the car if the shaft does dig into the tarmac it would just shatter into pieces rather then launch the car... Maybe wrong?

I have a uas one piece chromemoly.

Found that it is slightly noisier at low revs, due to gearbox noise being amplified through the tube.

Vibrations in the center tunnel area at speeds over 85kph.

It is 4kg lighter than a two piece.

Big difference with putting a one piece on a GTR compared to a GTS-T/300ZX is:

GTR does not have a slip in spline which goes into the back of the gearbox, it is bolted to the output shaft on the transfer case.

All models are bolted at the diff end, the GTR is bolted at both ends.

GTR two piece has the main slip joint at the center bearing area to absorb forward/aft vibration from the front universal joint, other models use the front slip joint.

Ths is what I have found with mine. I'd suggest a carbon two piece similar design principles to stock setup if you want less nvh.

Just my opinion,

Cheers.

I have a uas one piece chromemoly.

Found that it is slightly noisier at low revs, due to gearbox noise being amplified through the tube.

Vibrations in the center tunnel area at speeds over 85kph.

It is 4kg lighter than a two piece.

Big difference with putting a one piece on a GTR compared to a GTS-T/300ZX is:

GTR does not have a slip in spline which goes into the back of the gearbox, it is bolted to the output shaft on the transfer case.

All models are bolted at the diff end, the GTR is bolted at both ends.

GTR two piece has the main slip joint at the center bearing area to absorb forward/aft vibration from the front universal joint, other models use the front slip joint.

Ths is what I have found with mine. I'd suggest a carbon two piece similar design principles to stock setup if you want less nvh.

Just my opinion,

Cheers.

Thanks for all of your replies and info,handy for everyone to know,No slip joint for one piece,I think that swings it for me,I will stay stock as aussie roads will kill gearboxes and diffs without some movement available to the driveshaft,and besides I like a bit of insurance ie tailshaft loops at 250 kph.

Hey Baron, I would still be interested in Tets opinion as I'm sure others would be so we'll wait for a reply from you ok.Cheers Grey Pearl.