SAU Community

Bloody Builders

blind_elk

I recently purchased land in Tarneit, and am currently awaiting the construction of my new home to commence.

I've been having some trouble with the builders next door (fortunately, not the firm building my home).

Before Easter, while excavating for the concrete slab, they simply piled the soil on my land (they did remove it after I complained). Now, the other night, I go down there, and some a$$hole has near destroyed the water connection. It's quite evident from all the tyre tracks on my land that they've been using my land as a loading dock, and running bob-cats and other vehicles from my land into the backyard area of their construction. So, I'm pretty confident that something to do with the construction next door has played a significant roll in the damage to the water connection.

The building firm claims that without witnesses, it's "rigid cheddar".

I'm trying to be nice about it, and dealing with the company directly. But if I don't get satisfaction, do I have recourse to a legal solution? Should I go through HIA (I'm not even sure this builder is a member)? A workmate suggested finding the name of the owner from the local council (Wyndham), and complaining to him - worth it?

I'm just really pi$$ed off at the attitude of these people.

I recently purchased land in Tarneit, and am currently awaiting the construction of my new home to commence.

I've been having some trouble with the builders next door (fortunately, not the firm building my home).

Before Easter, while excavating for the concrete slab, they simply piled the soil on my land (they did remove it after I complained). Now, the other night, I go down there, and some a$$hole has near destroyed the water connection. It's quite evident from all the tyre tracks on my land that they've been using my land as a loading dock, and running bob-cats and other vehicles from my land into the backyard area of their construction. So, I'm pretty confident that something to do with the construction next door has played a significant roll in the damage to the water connection.

The building firm claims that without witnesses, it's "rigid cheddar".

I'm trying to be nice about it, and dealing with the company directly. But if I don't get satisfaction, do I have recourse to a legal solution? Should I go through HIA (I'm not even sure this builder is a member)? A workmate suggested finding the name of the owner from the local council (Wyndham), and complaining to him - worth it?

I'm just really pi$$ed off at the attitude of these people.

You can start off by being nice and talking to the owner. However, speak to the town council about your problem first and see what advise they can give you. After that, if the result is unsatisfactory, maybe you can try seeking legal help from your solicitor.

complain to the builder of the next door house.. if its like a porter davis or symonds home,

then they should have no problem with u and ur complaints bout ur block being destroyed by there contractors, if they dont want to listen then simply tell them ur gonna get ur moneys back another way, more times than none they will help u but most times u have to threaten them if u want something like this fixed...

happend to us, without the threat, nothin would have been fixed on our block of land in tenterfield..

hey greg

not sure who you should speak to, but get some photos of the damage and what's been done, so you can use them later as evidence if you havent taken them already

I work for a building consultant and hear about this stuff happening all the time. If the builders are still not doing anything to fix your probelms you should make a complaint to the building comission.

Greg nothing stops you filming the builders unloading, etc, on you property, then you sending the vid to the builders saying here's the proof and here's the damage, pay up or i'll see you in small claims court.

You need to also contact the council and builders to put up the parameter fence, this will stop them going on your property, especially when you erect some temporary fencing across the front of the property as well.

There's already temp fencing around their construction, but all they do is peel one section back - bingo, instant gateway. I've spoken to reps of my builder, and they are going to look into getting fencing up early. Not that I think it's going to stop them.

Visited again today, and noticed that the meter in their block has the valve on the "mains" side of the meter - the valve on mine appears to be on the "property" side. If that's the case, then they have done some serious damage, virtually turning the piping thru 180.

I've sent the building company's top honcho a letter, with photos. See what happens. Otherwise, I'm guessing file a claim in VCAT.

The last thing I need is any form of damage to their construction (much as I would like to) - I need to be "squeaky clean" in that respect, so they have no comeback on me.

start putting chains and locks between fences hwile all there machinery is in there, then start recording them with a camcorder and tell them your gonna press charges for tresspassing if they go on your land lol

1. wait until a whole lot of materials has been unloaded on your lot

2. stick up the temp fence with chains etc

3. be pleased with your new, free building materials.

nice.

Catching them in the act is all very well and good. It's just that I currently live 50k from the block (Glen Waverley), and I have to work during the day. So I'm only able to catch the aftermath of their actions.

If anyone can check on the block during the day, it would be most appreciated (PM me for location).

You can start off by being nice and talking to the owner. However, speak to the town council about your problem first and see what advise they can give you. After that, if the result is unsatisfactory, maybe you can try seeking legal help from your solicitor.
A guy at work suggested I find out the name of the owner and get him to pressure the builder.

I contacted council - they can't tell me because of the f****g Privacy Legislation :)

lol form a posse, i wonder if they would get sus at all the skylines slowly cruising past :( let us know how the company reacts to the letter and the pictures

The builders are claiming it's another company, who are building on the corner block which is on the other side of my block. Problem is, there's absolutely nothing happening there, so I'm seriously doubting their claim.

dezz, thanks mate, PM sent.