SAU Community

Carpc Build

PranK

I have decided to build a CarPC for my wifes new Forester (as I no longer have a car, I need to do things to hers).

Basically, I wanted GPS for the new car and also a reversing camera and phone control and rather than buy these items seperately, I could build one single unit to control all of it. I have a touch screen Alpine Unit atm and integrating it with the carpc is going to cause too much hassle, so that will be going (If you are keen to buy it, let me know).

Requirements;

• Ease of Use. It must be easy to use. It cant be like my home theatre project that nobody but me can use because I never properly finished it off (Thats a story for another day). If its not easy to use, Bec will probably just pay some 15 y/o kid to pull it out and put the stocker HU back in.
  • Touch screen. It must be 100% controllable from the screen. While I will have a wireless keyboard and mouse somewhere in the car for installs and whatnot, the unit must be able to do anything without touching anything byt the screen.
  • GPS. It will have GPS with voice directions.
  • CD/DVD playback. It will have CD/DVD playback which will auto-play on load. Again, no fuss, it should be as easy to play a CD/DVD on it as it would be on the stocker unit.
  • Cant cost too much. While this wont be a 'budget' build. It will definately not be crazy expensive. We have a mortgage, one child and a single wage. It has to be a build that most people could do. (Unlike the home theatre which came in close to $3k for the box and contents only).

Would Be Nice;

• Phone control. Dial, txt, etc from the touch screen with integrated hands free. This is possible and shouldnt be too difficult, but its not 100% required (I have a bluetooth handsfree already hence why its in the 'would be nice' pile).
  • Wireless sync of directories between home theatre and car pc.
  • ECU Logging. Very low on the priorities. The car is 100% stock, no mods. This would just be as a wank wank really.
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. Again, a bit of a wank. But if it can be done cheap...

I will update this first post as I decide on features and hardware based on the discussion in this thread.

Christian.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice mate.

What model Forester? 05-07?

I was going to buy one and put a CarPC in it but got an Integra instead.

There is a nice ledge on in the glove box if you can find a thin enough case for it.

Custom moulded LCD? From when i was doing quick measurements when i was looking, the screen itself was going to foul on the pop out cup holder.

5.1, seeing as there is the compartment at the top int he centre of the dash, it would be an ideal spot for a single woofer.

Be sure to post up heaps of pics! :banana:

The 32 will be receiving an ICE injection later this year similar to what your after....

There is a Alpine touch screen module being developed (3rd party) that will allow Alpine touch screen to be controlled via usb($~$2-300).

What im planning on doing is using the new Alpine W505 (~$1500) (Aust. equiv... no Nav :) )

Basically a double din touch screen with ipod/usb input to play music/videos.

Planning on using the adaptor with the Asus EEE 900 laptop (tiny, ~$500) as the backend for GPS + Engine stats(just need an OBD connector and software is free).

$100 for Garmin Mobile Embedded inc. GPS dongle... might have to buy/source Aust map tho.

Look into Roadrunner front end(among others) for Laptop functions.

5.1 can be added with an AI net addon, same with BT phone (or can be added to pc)

Laptop is small enough to be brought inside, or use wireless to sync.

Have fun, sound like a big project.

I have been toying with this idea for quite some time, was going to use old desktop components but have found that recently there are a few Australian sites carrying carpc equipment (mini-itx boards, cases etc) so when I've got a bit of spare cash I'll be grabbing some stuff and putting it together.

Doing it cheap though so no touchscreen and stuff, I'm not doing it for entertainment purposes, pretty much purely for diagnostics.

Tristan, let me know if you want to chat about this stuff :bunny: I've already got a consult cable and I bought Datascan, I just got sick of plugging in the laptop everytime I want to check something out :D

I have been toying with this idea for quite some time, was going to use old desktop components but have found that recently there are a few Australian sites carrying carpc equipment (mini-itx boards, cases etc) so when I've got a bit of spare cash I'll be grabbing some stuff and putting it together.

Doing it cheap though so no touchscreen and stuff, I'm not doing it for entertainment purposes, pretty much purely for diagnostics.

Tristan, let me know if you want to chat about this stuff :( I've already got a consult cable and I bought Datascan, I just got sick of plugging in the laptop everytime I want to check something out :P

Yeah already got the Blatz consult cable, but in the same boat as you :spank:

But seriously, look at the ASUS EEE 900 for carpc, good spec and that thing is fckn tiny, easy fit in the glovebox with space to spare. Price is agreeable to.

Im looking at the Alpine so it integrates better with my existing setup better, but if you get a good usb soundcard, Lilliput or Xenarc make good & cheap touchscreens. As always mp3car.com is your friend ;)

the prices look pretty expensive...

migt aswell order everything from mp3car.com

they only take about a week to arive and shippings not that bad.

my carpc is as follows

screen: touchscreen liliput (xenarc is prolly better...their anti glare one is great but pricey) - $250

for the pc all i did was hack up an old desktop

the case is just wooden and carpetted.

motherboard is an old celeron m/b with onboard sound/video

cpu is a 1.5ghz or something weak (don't need anything powerful)

ram is just 512mb -

powersupply is a opus 150w 12vdc-dc power suppyly with startup/shutdown control..so when i insert my key it automatically boots up...when i take key out, after 5 seconds it goes to proper shutdown procedure automatically. - $150

hard drive im just running a 3inch ide 160gb hard drive -$80

usb gps receiver -$40

bluetooth dongle - $10

onboard audio doesnt cut it for my so bought a creative audigy 4s pci sound card - $100

software...

winxp n lite (lightened version for car pc)

loads straight into the front end, road runner.

has skins etc..

maps for gps i use mapmonkey with destinator 6 maps

phone support with bluetooth i havent got working properly yet...

i want to look to integrate with the consult port later on...but been lazy.

so all up..my set up cost around $500 all up

pics of screen mould with my stock stereo sorround

P1010327Small.jpg

pic installed...isntalling windows heh

CIMG2459.jpg

pic of front end and skin it loads into

menu_off-1.jpg

pic of gps working

DSC00144.jpg

pic of my case before neatening up (bad pic phone camera)

DSC00105.jpg

Edited by Nav2k

nice install mate. cheap too. don't suppose you could point me in the right direction for the software could ya?

your screen install looks great might have to give it a go on the 34. ill definately be wanting to get the consult connected straight away but that shouldnt be a problem seems to be a few good software options available that work in windows.

cheers guys,

nissanskyryce: i got my software ages and ages ago...

ill dig up the link for windows nlite when nissansilvia.com is back up (been down for a while).

u just need a copy of winxp and then use that program to remove what u dont want (theres a step by step thing which tells u what is what). Then you burn an iso of ur "modified windows' and just install that like you would a normal OS.

front end is called 'road runner' and u can download that off the mp3car.com forums. The skin should be around as well...

as for map software...well thats sometimes a little harder..pm me if u want

prank: yeh mate, thats pretty much what i wanted...and beleive me u can do a lot more with the sound card than u can a $500 head unit (i remember selling my headunit for $700 back then haha). im running a semi active setup and theres a lot of goodies u can play with if u really want to get into it. im no where near using the cards full potential but im content.

anyway good luck with it! if any wants software/point in right direction pm me n more than happy to help. (hardly look in this section much)

Edited by Nav2k

Nice job there Nav2k.

Just wondering with the screen mould / stock surround, are those the buttons along the

bottom from the touch screen? Have you modified/moulded the original surround around

the lcd screen/buttons to give it that stock look?

FYI:

NLITE

- http://www.nliteos.com/

Some car pc links

- http://www.incarcomputers.com.au/

- http://www.mini-itx.com/ & http://www.mini-itx.com/store/

- http://www.polares.com.au/ & http://www.porares.com.au/ (previously mentioned)

- http://www.itsaonline.com.au/

- http://www.mp3car.com/ (previously mentioned)

what about something like this carputer

although the sound car looks a little shitty.

also how do you go with cd's, obviously most of the stuff would be on the hdd but for the odd occasions when you want to play a cd do you have to go to the boot to change it?

Nice job there Nav2k.

Just wondering with the screen mould / stock surround, are those the buttons along the

bottom from the touch screen? Have you modified/moulded the original surround around

the lcd screen/buttons to give it that stock look?

the stock s14 sorround looks like this:

int4.jpg

basically what i did was cut the ciggy lighter and ashtray out.

then get a thick thick peice of cardboard (can use wood as well) and put it in place and use the shelleys putty stuff that goes really hard...then u can sand it down to ur shape.

alternatively u can use fibreglass.

the buttons i removed from the bezel and put them there.

only the power and av button really do anything. dont use the volume buttons cos im not running audio to the screen.. (but u can connect them up to the pc if u want and can be bothered figuring out how to).

yup to give it the stock look i used a bit of texture spray to give it a rough look just cos i didnt want shiny black or anything.

what about something like this carputer

although the sound car looks a little shitty.

also how do you go with cd's, obviously most of the stuff would be on the hdd but for the odd occasions when you want to play a cd do you have to go to the boot to change it?

with a cd if u want to play them, i'd probably keep a slim line cd rom in the glove box or something. i was thinking about integrating one just under my screen but i thought i'd never listen to cds anyway.

with a cd if u want to play them, i'd probably keep a slim line cd rom in the glove box or something. i was thinking about integrating one just under my screen but i thought i'd never listen to cds anyway.

Thats what I will do, just have a slimline somewhere as we need to put my daughters cd's on sometimes to put her to sleep. Remember my car is (now) a very family oriented car.

I bought a slot-load DVD R/W for a laptop, and a slimline USB external enclosure. This was so i could mount it into the same DIN slot as my foldout screen. It needed just the one USB cable which provides enough power. That was my solution so i could have a carputer in the boot, and cd-slot in the front, with the ability to also play DVD's. The trick is to find a slot-load drive, not a caddy drive - they are harder to find, but can be found on mp3car.com and ebay

Edited by Trav33