SAU Community

All the Rumors aside **Nissan Patrol Clutch fits**

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't mean to be rude but ive just read 4 pages of nonsense.

There are only a few variables that make the difference between a standard and heavy duty clutch kit!

In a heavy duty clutch kit the pressure plate (actual steel part that clamps the clutch disc) is made, usually, from forged steel rather than being cast like in a standard pressure plate so there is a less likely chance of it cracking then exploding through your floor under high rpm clutch dumps.

The clamping pressure, in a HD pressure plate the clamping load is usually increased, this is done by changing the pivot/fulcrum point of the diaphragm spring, which in turn increases the effort needed to push the clutch pedal to the floor, but makes it harder for the clutch disc to slip under high load.

The clutch disc, there are many different types of friction materials that can be used, standard- organic HD can be organic or brass/ceramic/carbon etc. These last 3 i've mentioned are not usually street friendly, that is are harsh to engage and if slipped like an organic type disc will wear out not only the disc itself but the flywheel and pressure plates too VERY QUICKLY when compared to a standard organic discs service life.

The springs in the HD clutch disc, the springs that absorb torsional vibrations (caused when a given cylinder fires) can be a uprated or in solid centre type discs not even be there.

The way that the friction material is attached to the hub flange, most standard clutch plates have cushion springs for smooth engagement on a HD disc these can be done away with as well, sometimes just being glued/riveted to a flat piece of steel.

Then the number of discs that might be used twin/ triple etc the more disc the greater the friction area the more gripping instead of slipping.

Centifugal type clutches, the higher the RPM the greater the clamping force.

Dry clutches, like in skylines and most cars can only take so much slipping, they aren't meant to be ridden excessively, its just like your brakes, standard ones are ok on the street but take it to the track and there will be lots of smoke, smells and not much braking done(usually). A wet type clutch used in most bikes and automatic transmissions can be slipped frequently and not have any problems at all due to the cooling and lubrication of the oil/fluid used.

I guess what i'm saying is 99% of the time it comes down to the driver of the car and the way that its driven that will determine how long and well a given clutch will work, and remember the clutch in an OEM is the weakest link, its meant slip when abused to save gearboxs, diffs and driveshafts.....

Hope this answers any questions that some of you might have.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I'm back..its Swordfish19792002.

I came across the part number guys. I found the old tax invoice from Slacks Creek Brake and Clutch back in the days. See the details below;

Item: DR 1002NHD

Clutch Kit

Amount $285.00

Gst$28.50

Total $313.50

P.S Sorry I took my time, it's only been a couple of years. Byt the way the invoice was dated back 25/06/2003.

I still have the same clutch in the car today and no troubles with it ever. Still fit as fiddle. The car did 60,000 when the new clutch went in. The car now has completed 133,000 with the same clutch in it.

Hope this helps out....Thanks

I may have skipped some pages with this issue but what is needed to know about the skyline and patrol clutch is the actual clutch plate hub in the skyline is heavier .If you put the two side by side you will see the difference in spring size.I sell these clutches and am aware of the difference and yes you can fit the patrol clutch but the actual clutch plate hub (where the springs are) will be weaker and this is why they are cheaper.The R31 skyline is a similar set up as well with the same lighter sprung clutch plate as the patrol.Race Brakes Sydney

The h/d patrol clutch is $265.00

The h/d skyline clutch is $420.00

The R31 h/d skyline clutch is $320.00

This may put some light on the situation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys

I have been reading this thread with some interest and unfortunately - dismay.

I would strongly suggest that those people who are contemplating using the "Patrol" clutch in their Skylines have a good look at the metallurgy associated with each clutch and the design duty.

I think you will find the lower revving Patrol clutch uses plain grey cast iron versus SG (spheroidal graphite) iron on the Skyline. The difference being the SG iron is a lot more ductile than grey cast and is less likely to shatter under sharp load up or high revs.

You are trying to save a relative pittance compared to an increased chance of nuking a clutch under high rev load.

Your call but buyer beware.

• 1 month later...

Just read this thread from start to finish. For crying out loud people, if you could afford to buy a skyline thats great but if you cant afford to RUN a skyline then you prob shouldnt have bought one in the first place!

Is the money that everyone is trying to save worth risking your pride and joy exploding without warning and righting off your car??? Yes some people have fitted these clutches with success and thats great but I have to agree with WRRR, BUYER BEWARE!!!

So, does everyone put standard unleaded in their cars or do we put in 98 ROM? Penny pinching on a car like a skyline is just stupid, you get what you pay for in this world, and less headaches for it.

woah take it easy dude, not everyone is a millionare like your self.........

he has a point though, I'm not a millionaire, but I made sure I could afford to maintain the car before I bought it.

And he's also right on the clutch not being designed for 7000rpm, and flying to pieces, and destroying a hell of a lot with it

• 7 months later...

Hey guys Im thinking about putting this into a GTR 1993 with a pull type clutch just wondering how you would think it would go and is it the clutch for the Nissan Patrol with the RB30E in it. I found they are around $260 and I think thats cheap enough to give it a try doesnt work out o well. But because its for the rb30 I would presume it would be ok.

As a 4b patrol and a line owner I can tell you that no launch in a skyline (unless you are in the mark Jacobsen category) will come near the shock loading placed on a gearbox like the low range launch in rock climbing or hard terrain punishment that patrols regularly see. Remember the patty weighs in at near twice the skyline weight to boot.

My last 3 litre patty clutch lasted 400 kay of savage abuse. when it wasnt being hammered on the redline it was towing the worktrailer or climbing mount everest. I never expected the clutch to last anywhere near as long as it did.

I say go for it. :P