SAU Community

Custom Rims

SKYWKR

Hey guys/girls,

just wanna know if anyone knows of any places in Vic that can widen rims. If anyone has had it done before or knows anyone that has done it could you let me know.

I want to widen the rims i've got atm from 7.5" to 9.5" and possibly a different offset. Any info would be appreciated. :D

Cheers

Steve

ive heard it can be done on 1, 2 or 3 piece rims but yeh 2 or 3 piece would make it alot easier :D

i know of one place in qld that does it. was wondering if there is someone in vic that does it

I looked at having this done, and could only find one person who was willing to do it, although he wouldnt warrant the work. Everyone else said that it is too dodgy. The place in qld said that they needed 2 rims to make one.

I looked at having this done, and could only find one person who was willing to do it, although he wouldnt warrant the work. Everyone else said that it is too dodgy. The place in qld said that they needed 2 rims to make one.

ah ok, i didnt know that you would need two rims to make one....Suppose it may not be the best idea if the place that does it wont warrant the work.

just buy wider rims IMO, alot of people i have heard have said its dodgy also, althou those i've seen with it done didnt seem to have dramas, but i still dont like the idea either

What sort of material are the rims made out of? Billet Alloy, pressed steel, cast alloy??? Wait... IT doesnt Matter

Its a STUPIDLY BAD IDEA!!!! I presume that in addition to making the rims wider for the looks of it, you want the extra grip? The rims will be weakened, and when they fail, you'll crash and maybe even worse....

I saw a Vh commodore at a servo a few months ago, When he pulled up I noticed he had staggerd rims on it, The funny thing was that they were intercepters..

I asked him about them , He said that he had a melbourne engineer machine up the dished outer parts of the rim and then press them into the standard position(stock intercepters are made up of 2 pieces).

Ne way I don't have a name or number (soz), but he said it was easy to get done and cost him $500 per rim..

But I agree with the others, this would not be a tested and proven process, and therfore it could possibly fail..

Widening LMGT's??? :P

Yeah and whats wrong with that. :)

so instead of being F 17X8 and R 17X9 they'll be F 17X9 and R 17X10 :D

Oh and I wan't to powdercoat the centres black :)

Edited by Mr Jollwah

Widening Steel Rims (ie intercepters/chasers, 5 and 12 slot ford rims etc) Is done all the time, as they weld easily, It is however Illegal as the wheels no longer meet ADRs.

Never seen Alloy rims done...and as others have said it doesnt sound like a good idea.

thanks guys, was contemplating the idea as i saw a post on here a while bak from someelse who had the same idea.

Thanks for all the replies and info, i can see that its probly not such a good idea now.

I got the idea after reading the post below. Have a read if you like... :P

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Cu...;hl=custom+rims

thanks guys, was contemplating the idea as i saw a post on here a while bak from someelse who had the same idea.

Thanks for all the replies and info, i can see that its probly not such a good idea now.

I got the idea after reading the post below. Have a read if you like... :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Cu...;hl=custom+rims

Still don't sound dangerous to widen 2 pc rims by replacing outer band with a wider one.... :D

Still don't sound dangerous to widen 2 pc rims by replacing outer band with a wider one.... :(

Thats a different story to welding though... You are really replacing half of the rim, not widening it...

I had welded steel rims on my cooper s when I bought it, they looked sweet but we found that a couple of the rims werent welded back into a perfect cylinder, as in the other half was staggered slightly, resulting in horrible viabrations we couldnt get rid of.

Getting different rims definately the best idea.

I saw a Vh commodore at a servo a few months ago, When he pulled up I noticed he had staggerd rims on it, The funny thing was that they were intercepters..
Widening Steel Rims (ie intercepters/chasers, 5 and 12 slot ford rims etc) Is done all the time, as they weld easily, It is however Illegal as the wheels no longer meet ADRs.

Never seen Alloy rims done...and as others have said it doesnt sound like a good idea.

steels are done quite often - street commodores did it on there vn project car ages ago - 9" wide interceptors ftw :(

can be done with steel, cannot be done with alloy.

yeah - alloy is too tricky and dangerous

it could be done if its a 2 or 3 piece rims and there are numerous outer bands that are wider

but i dont think any manufacturer has done that :)

not sure how u could do it with 2pce wheels (which are a lot more common than 3pce), most 2pce wheels mean the disk and the barrel are 2 separate pieces, the barrel itself is 1 piece, so without a cut and shut job, cant see how thats possible.

the rim a tyre beads to if it is steel can be widened, as it is stretched, for obvious reasons this can not be done to alloy.

but why, it'd be cheaper just to buy new ones with the width, offset you want.

I wouldnt try it the cut and shut way. Just isnt a safe method.

I have 2 face GTN's love the look but wanted more lip. Have custom outer rims being made up now. Then there off to a workshop to bolt them together and balance. Will put up a result once its done. going from a 9.5 to a 12' with about 4.5" of lip.

Cheers,