paulr33

FAQ: Buying cheap ebay performance parts

Intended Audience: Anyone considering buying performance parts from Ebay

Technical Level: Low

Duration: 15 minutes

Effort: Low

Result: Excellent, may save you some $ and hassles

!!!Caution/Achtung/Attenzione!!!

Follow this guide at your own risk. You have been warned. We are not responsible for any actions you take. The information contained herein is a guide and should *not* be acted upon with consultation from your local tuner (he/she may not agree with my comments / suggestions). If you are unsure or are not confident don't do it.

This guide is a document in progress among the Skylines Australia car club and is a user orinentated FAQ for people interested in buying performance parts off Ebay.

This lists some of the known baddies out there, what to look for and what standard parts etc are worth and how to pick junk items.

Bargain hunting

As always, everyone is out to get the best bang per $ for their car (I am too!). there are some cheap parts out there, and some cheap bargains etc

But there is a lot of junk too and some complete rubbish. known baddies are out there, here are some of the the usual suspects

Known baddies

- cheap chinese manifolds

- cheap turbochargers - t04 with no useful specs, T70 model turbochargers, cheap plain bearing or journal bearing knockoffs, t3/t4 with no useful specs and other wierd spec turbochagers with no brand backing (ie: a turbo thats sub $300 is junk)

- cheap cam gears - know baddies, only go with trusted items and brand names

- fake knock offs - there was a swarm of fake apexi turbo timers, be sure u know how to identify a legit from a fake

- incorrect models listed to lure suspects - ie listing a powerfc pro as a pro but its a std PFC - again be sure u know how to identify a legit from a fake (or model change)

- venom brand injectors - these are junker highflow poor spec items, dont even bother

- cheap plenums (no branders) and greddy copies - junk, crap welds, wouldnt rely on it - original greddy items are $1100 new so a plenum for $300 is rubbish

- cheap no brander hard piping kits - poor welds, cheap basic parts, lots of custom work to make them fit - original HKS and greddy items are near $900 new so a kit for $300 is junk

- fake / knock off bride seats -> http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Br...re-t275400.html

:P

Typical junk cam gears

cam_gear.JPG

Cheap junk turbochargers

turbo.JPG

:(

Cheap junk plenums

plenum.JPG

:(

Cheap junk hard pipe kits

gtr-suction.jpg

Research before you buy

But like anything do your research, check the seller, check the item, call them up or msg them etc, ask for proper photos etc

If you are buying a Xeplex Twin turbo manifold to suit BCNR33 search on google for the item, if you find no matches or hardly any info, chances are its junk

Search on SAU for what you are buying, if you see a KKR turbocharger for $250 search on SAU for "KKR" youll find out why its "SO Cheap"

Understand the risks

Like always with online auction style bidding be prepared for risks, if you buy a set of pistons for $800 there is a risk they may not arrive

I'm not saying it happens every day, but it does happen and has happened to people in the past. there is always a risk with online face-less auctions when buying from indivdual people.

This level of risk is removed when dealing with places such as online parts shops such as nengun, greenline, importmonster etc as there is tracking, you are covered and can get refunds etc

Much like when you goto a local shop to buy say a new water pump, you can take it back, get a refund, ask for support if its dodgy or non-legit etc.

Good news & bargains

But the good news is there are bargains out there. people write off their cars and want to sell stuff cheaply. people buy lots of apexi avcr's in bulk and then them cheap individually etc.

People sell their old hardware taking up space in the garage so they sell it cheap. demand drives the price with the ebay style auctions so if a few dudes want it, its going to go up, and up etc.

If no one wants it, youll get it cheap or at least at the lowest price the guy is prepared to auction it up for. check the users feedback and read the comments.

The feedback doesnt guarantee they wont rip you off, but it helps prove they are half legit and do sell/send their items correctly.

Understand the standard price before you bid

ie GTR R34 front calipers will go for $1000 cos people want them. if you see GTR 34 front calipers for $400 with a "buy it now" option, theyre probably fake or non-legit or he is a rip off.

However if they start at $400 and the guy has decent feedback and no-one else is bidding on them then you might get them significantly cheaper. he might not know what they are worth which could also explain the low price. this is unlikely but could be possible. but just remember, beaware of the risks (see part #4 above) and that you may not get them item if they are a dodgy trader.

A hks turbocharger (any model) is going to be at least $1000 sub because of the brand, so if you see a pair of hks 2530s for $900 then it wont be legit, or they are shagged.

A decent ball bearing turbocharger is about $1500 and a pair of good GTR twins is around $2000 at least. a stock rb25 turbo is around $300 and a pair of stock GTR turbo's id say $500-$600.

Shit costs money - whats the real cost

Theres no magic secret, a turbocharger costs money, a manifold costs money, so dont expect a good turbochargers for your std car for $350, its going to be junk.

and lastly cheap items like turbochargers etc may work and be ok, but they may require lots of work to make them fit and bolt up.

the flange is different, the gate is different, the flap opens the wrong way, the bearings are poo and so on, so look at the whole package and not just the single item your buying.

much like buying a set of EVO calipers, sure you might get them cheap but if its going to cost another $500 to make them fit and line up with rotors etc it could be easier/cheaper in the long run to buy Skyline stuff in the first place.

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

i have a spool brand cam gear that i wanted to get rid of that looks like the real deal... and only the other day was in a tread where i was told that others have used these and have positve feedback towards the strong construction and quality of this particular brand make of performance parts.

the list also included other spool named performance parts that are quality improvements and upgrades.

unsure of the origin of the part but no doubt it would be chinese, but as paulr33 states, make sure you do the reasearch, check feedback from people that have used the part/mod and in many cases ask professional opinions.

'SPOOL' are from our very own SAU member Spoolup, he's a skyline nut and has taken the time to develop good parts for top-hp buildups...definately good parts

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i have a spool brand cam gear that i wanted to get rid of that looks like the real deal... and only the other day was in a tread where i was told that others have used these and have positve feedback towards the strong construction and quality of this particular brand make of performance parts.

the list also included other spool named performance parts that are quality improvements and upgrades.

unsure of the origin of the part but no doubt it would be chinese, but as paulr33 states, make sure you do the reasearch, check feedback from people that have used the part/mod and in many cases ask professional opinions.

A mate has them on his r32 rb20 and they are great. I have been told that with the cheap cam gears the main thing to do is replace the screws that come with them and mos the time they will be as good as anything else. But all in all a good read.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

ive seen some of the intake manifolds do alright just have to make sure the throttlebody doesnt fall apart, i think the wastegates you get with most of the kits are pretty poor and leak quite a bit from my experiences

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Digging up an old thread but i purchased a greddy copy plenum off of ebay for $500 for the rb25 series 2. Came with all of the required fittings etc but no instruction guide so took a while to puzzle it out.

Cost a $100 for an adapter plate for the throttle body, $80 for new gasket to fit to engine, used the stock throttle cable.

On the downside i had to take it to the engineers to get the face machined flat and the injector seats didnt take the injector rubbers so had to grind them out a little.

But with that said and done it was all installed and got my whole piping and plenum system smoke/pressure tested for leaks and no problem. 6 Months later after a few punishing archie track days its still going hard. All up tho for the hassle i would probably bite the bullet and get an original greddy plenum but im a tight ass and never learn plus cash money situation was tight. cop was off the road for a few weeks but overall was a good learning experience :D