SAU Community

Rb30 Vs Rb25

R34NRG

3.0L VS 2.5L  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

a few quotes from around the www.

The 3 liter is money wasted.

You can still make huge figures with a 2.5 or a 2.6 liter while not sacrificing Revs.

I wouldve spent the money on making my car lighter and handle better rather than doing a 3 liter engine conversion.

A Built RB25 would handle 400 rwkw with ease.

i too am not a fan of the 30/25 engines, they need a lot of coin and expertese to be relyable and not have harmonic issues
our 26 revs nicer pulls more top end and has as much torque and is just as responsive...... all on a tight budget and lowish boost.
id like to see your engine after you rev it to 8300 like we do.... continuously..

our is a basic street engine build... that makes bugger all top end... it is all mid... it only makes 340-350rwkw

quite alot of negativity from something i honestly thought was a better combination.

in colslusion, and straight up for the ball breakers on here.

comparing 3 exact cars, with the exact same mods, is a 3.0L setup superior to a 2.5?

if you rkn a 3.0L is better, post up why, if you think its worthless. post up why.

i honestly cant see how 2 exact same cars, one havign an extra .5L over the other, would be looked down apon.

more toqrue

more power

less boost needed

quicker spool

less strain overall

dats off the top of my head.

discuss

Edited by R34NRG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

drive one and you wont go back 3.0l all the away :dry:

yeh, i really hope everyone bad mouthin the 3.0L as at least driven one.

i was in my buddies r33 GT3540 setup car (same as mine). had cams over me but was the standard 2.5

and honestly it felt like i waiting forever for boost to kick in on the 2.5

its not just about being a dyno queen or anything.

drift/drag/track i just think the extra response and the amount of toque over the 2.5 is just GG

Edited by R34NRG

3.0L all the way.

Still not fully tuned.

I feel from idle I can pull just as much torque, at around 3000RPM I've got slightly less torque (Not MASSIVELY) but hit 4000RPM and it's all over.

I run a quite large turbo too (T04R) and it's just so nice.

The old 2.5L needed to be really planted mid corner in second to start to wheel spin (Most of the time a clutch kick) the new one doesn't even get on boost and it starts lighting up sideways with everything identical (Tyres, diff, gearbox etc) except for the motor and turbo change...

3.0L also needs so much less throttle and I can pull away from traffic. jumping lanes etc and having to accelerate. the 2.5L was normally drop a gear and open her up to get upto speed. the 3.0L is quite good in zipping up in speed without needing to drop a gear.

The ability to light up on the roll in 2nd gear compared to having issues getting wheel spin with out a clutch dump in 1st, and still no wheel spin in second...

3rd gear still spinning in the 3.0L vs only 1st in the 2.5...

4th gear still spinning in the 3.0L in the wet compared to just starting to spin lightly in 2nd on the 2.5L...

Basically... The 3.0L shits all over the 2.5L in terms of driveability, torque, power, and once tuned, I'll rev it to the exact same amount...

Revs stress a motor alot more then torque. If I make the same power, at 1000RPM less, I'm making more torque then the other guys, and producing less stress on my pistons/rods.

Therefore, more reliable.

Same cost to build up either (Forged 25 vs Forged 30) and you still come out with more torque, better driveability, etc.

This is really quite sad. Why are you bitching about one forums opinions on another forum?

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=312237

i didnt, it was just about my car, and one guy started mouthing off about my setup. and one thing lead to another.

you would know that if you read it. please refrain from cloggin this thread up. stick on topic

Edited by R34NRG

Same cost to build up either (Forged 25 vs Forged 30) and you still come out with more torque, better driveability, etc.

BOOOM THE MONEY SHOT.

theres so many people talking shit about 3.0L costing to much. its honstly just as cheap, and the rewards are 10 fold

but id really like to see some constructive arguments from the people voting for the 2.5. i see nothing close to an advantage over the 3.0L

Edited by R34NRG

Mine is getting the 3L treatment. Its my daily driver and having been in a few VL/R31's even the SOHC 3L feels much less doughy at low rpm than the 2.5L. Cost wise i was originally going to build up my RB25, but for the ~1-2k extra you pay for the 3L (machining/modification of the R33 head to fit, external oil feed and so on) everything else i have done to the engine i would have done to the RB25 anyway.

I had a 400rwkw RB25 and was so laggy with twin turbos. Have the same head and turbo setup on a 30 bottom end and the extra torque and drivability is great off boost. The bottom end has been built pretty strong so should still see 8000rpm so i havent really lost much in the rev department as the 25 use to spin to 8200rpm

hang on hang on, but this guy disagrees

Straight out, you have no clue.

I first hand know of many cars with built RB25s that would end you.

More power, more torque.

surely us 3.0L owners are wrong......a rb25 would of course have the edge over a bigger engine with the same setup.....surely

WHITER33GTS-T you must be mistaken, the rb25 has more power and more torque then your current setup, surely.

OHHHH SNAPPPP MOFO

**the above statement may contain sarcasm and should not be taken seriously**

and you know wat, i hate acting like the biggest dickhead about this but im just sick and tired of ppl mouthin me off about shit they obviously dont know.

/rant

/topic

/2.5

GG

Edited by R34NRG

get a stroker kit up ya's........... i did lol. revs with a torque increase mmmmmm could be good. o btw it a 26 not a 25 lol

thats a whole diff story, stroker kits are seriously alot more $$$$ compared to a $150 rb30 block. but i cant say much because i have yet to see or feel the performance of a aftermarket stroker kit like the OS Geiken or Tomei on a 26 let alone a rb20 or 25

Edited by R34NRG

Why does one have to be better than the other in the first place? Can't you just deal with the fact that everyone has an opinion and maybe it's not the same as yours?

As for the reason i'm building an rb30 bottom end, I want more power but I want to keep the responsivness. Yes theoretically I could stay with the 26 and make more power as well but welcome to lag city.....

well this thread just sold it for me, i was thinking whether the 25/30 setup is to much hassle/cost compared a 25 setup in regards to gains like torque power and response for an average budget, but i guess not 30 all the way

Why does one have to be better than the other in the first place? Can't you just deal with the fact that everyone has an opinion and maybe it's not the same as yours?

okai let me put it to you this way.

you got a gorgeous tight blonde to the left, and a fat gorilla to your right, which one u want jerkin your shit off? trust me one is better then the other, and no i cant deal with the fact that some dickheads gonna prefer the 20kg hands of a gorilla peeln your dick like a banana.

shit just dosnt happen.

get my point?

ppl are saying they prefer a 2.5 when they can havea 3.0L why the f*k would u do dat

Once again i gotta ask...

Is there a real point to this thread?

All your doing is posting in big red words and behaving like a child, either have a topic where you actually meaningfully contribute, or ill close this too.

Honestly, pointless thread if you aren't going to accept other views/opinions

Once again i gotta ask...

Is there a real point to this thread?

All your doing is posting in big red words and behaving like a child, either have a topic where you actually meaningfully contribute, or ill close this too.

Honestly, pointless thread if you aren't going to accept other views/opinions

its in english at the top ash.

i want to hear evryones points and views between the 3.0L and the 2.5L

im waiting on all these 2.5 ppl to post why they would choose it. and i havnt heard anything yet.

so i havnt actually been able to not accept points or views.

why u always breakn my ballz ash? i could point u to at least 5 topics straight up right now that you could close. "what alarm clock wouuld u be" "worlds hardest game....like wtf?"

i must admit though i was challanged by another SAU member to create this thread because he honestly believed 2.5s are superior to 3.0Ls and im still waiting for him to show.

and yes i know im actn a lil childish but u cant blame me wen i got ppl telln me to stfu and that i dont no wat im talkn about

Edited by R34NRG

Dude man you've got to understand that for some people their idea for modifying their car is not going to be the same as yours. Your on a public forum, opinions will be given.

Some would rather stay with a 25 and push the motor to its limits or maybe they don't want to push them at all. Others like yourself would just rather have the 30 and have the instant benefits that go with it.

Maybe it comes to cost for some. Maybe they would rather spend their money on other aspects of their car rather than spending it straight into a rb30det build.

From my knowledge and being on SAU, it is very rare for someone to say that a RB25DET is superior to a RB30DET. In fact i haven't even seen that statement on here before. Everyone one knows it does everything easier as you listed in one of your earlier posts.

For you to ramble on what most of us already know is pointless. For you to ramble on like the RB30det is the be all and end all is also pointless. Its not like we all have to follow a rulebook and all have to do the same mods to our cars. Personal choice, personal opinion.

That said, if I had cash to burn, an RB30DET would be nice.

point taken keymaker, i guess i just wanted to know why on earth anyone would choose the rb25. and the quotes were mainly from ns.com and it was argued over there until a fellow SAUer wanted me to try my luck on a skyline forum...(yeh i dunno wat he was thinkin)

if your forging a rb25 it dosnt cost much to convert to 3.0L, so lil i dont even think its worth mentioning, so unfortunately i cant take that as a valid reason for choosing a rb25.

but your right, it is a public forum and some people prefer gorrilas then woman.

Edited by R34NRG