SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

He said he might be stocking Motul oils soon as well! Also mentioned he might be getting some Castrol synthetic 5w40 (i think it was) that is manufactured in Europe, meant to be pretty good by the sounds of it.

he already stocks the Germon Castol product. Thats the best.

ADVAN reccommend Motul Le Mans 24hr 20w60

used it for a while, no issue's, smells nice

Have been using Penrite Sin 5w60 lately. Most of the racers at Eastern Creek have been using it aswell, since they change there oil at very small intervals and the price to performance ratio a major factor and it also has good resistance to fuel additives and methanol. I tend to go through my oil every 1000km-3000km with the power level, blow by and rich AFR's and methyl Benzene I run.

Have another track day on Sat, will see how the oil temps go. they are usually around 110c max. My car also runs quite rich so I opt for a thicker grade.

Value for money I like the Sin, Motul does seem to keep oil temps down a wee bit more, but the only good stuff is the 300V Chrono, Competion and Le Mans..and they cost a bundle.

Have also used Royal Purlple, which does everything its says...just not keen on running it continuosly as it has micro polishing beads...maybe every 5 services to keep my bearings smooth. I tend to use it after my run-in oil then switch.

At the end of the day, buy the best oil you can afford.

Edited by BOOSTD

I just did an oil change on my rb30det which is 5000ks old. I used Castrol R synthetic 10w 60 the engine seemed quieter on start up it and it also has better oil pressure when hot Compared to the valvoline stuff i had in it.

Had my oils changed yesterday.

Have no oils i can compare to but here are the oils i used and what it feels like.

Motul 300V Chrono 10w40 - Nice smooth idle. Nothing wrong with the car...maybe too early to make an assumption

Motul Gear 300 75w90 - AWESOME!!!! Changed my shifting to make it feel more direct and solid.

Motul PA90 - Diff whine has stopped especially when i first start driving the car

hi all,

I have a R34GTT Manual, want to change the gearbox oil, does anyone know how much I need and any recomendations for what I should use? Thanks in advance.

Edited by LINEUP-NT

hi all,

I have a R34GTT, want to change the gearbox oil, does anyone know how much I need and any recomendations for what I should use? Thanks in advance.

If you have an auto and want one of the best oils, Castrol Transmax Z is excellent. Ive used it on my car and its great. I like to drive spiritedly.

If you have an auto and want one of the best oils, Castrol Transmax Z is excellent. Ive used it on my car and its great. I like to drive spiritedly.

have edited the other post, it is a manual. cheers anyway.

I own a 1996 R33 with 84kms on the clock Rb25DET, I have read from the first post till the end of the page and im still confused what would be recommended for me. Could someone here honestly tell me the recommended oil. I am using it for daily driving, i will soon have a ehxhaust system all and a front mount cooler.. the way i drive will be normal and sumtimes give it a lil squirt...

Edited by geraus

he already stocks the Germon Castol product. Thats the best.

On PerformanceLub he stocks Castrol oils but is this the German version or the Australian version?

All the links point to the American sites so I really can't tell.

Just deciding between Mobil1 and Castrol at the moment for my oil change for an R33 GTR. This will be the first change since it left Japan so I have no idea what oil it was previously running.

On PerformanceLub he stocks Castrol oils but is this the German version or the Australian version?

Just deciding between Mobil1 and Castrol at the moment for my oil change for an R33 GTR. This will be the first change since it left Japan so I have no idea what oil it was previously running.

The Castrol ones he stocks are German he said last time i spoke to him. Shoot him an email he is quick with a response.

Im going to order some Mobile1 0w-40 from PerfoemanceLub... might order enough for two oil chnages. Thats around 10 bottles right?

Yeah 1 quart is .946 ml i think, so you would need 10 for 2 oil changes to be safe. I use 4 and bit bottles when i do an oil change on mine. I over fill it a little also.

its German Castol..

I have a few bottles. GC has performed well for some time on the oil forums though UOA...suposed to top notch.

The mobil1 and castol he sells is great stuff cant go wrong with either IMO

its German Castol..

I have a few bottles. GC has performed well for some time on the oil forums though UOA...suposed to top notch.

The mobil1 and castol he sells is great stuff cant go wrong with either IMO

Just a minor clarification, Castrol 0w30 is made in Germany, 5w40 is made in America for the European market so its probably the same thing, I'm probably going some Castrol 5w40 and some Redline gearbox oil for the cars first change :thumbsup:

Edit: Picked up the oil in person from performancelub.com, excellent customer service and him and his business partner really know there oils. Saved me a little on postage :P

Regards,

Gareth

Motul 8100 5w-40 synthetic- its pretty damn good, was on mobil one but noticed 0 oil pressure at lights one day then oil warning light came on had to turn engine off quickly- this doesnt happen now oil pressure is where it should be , at idle and at rev

Motul 8100 5w-40 synthetic- its pretty damn good, was on mobil one but noticed 0 oil pressure at lights one day then oil warning light came on had to turn engine off quickly- this doesnt happen now oil pressure is where it should be , at idle and at rev

It got nothing to do with engine oil brand, 0 pressure can only mean mechanical fault, probably loses sensor cable or connector. For a oil to reach 0 pressure, it had to sheared below 10wt or less, not likely for a synthetic oil.

Edited by Trex101

Hi,

Two questions, I bought Redline MTL for my R33 GTR gearbox oil. I've just read more carefully that most people are using MT-90, is MTL ok to use?

Should I ask if its possible to exchange for MT-90 (which would be hard because I have to get it back there first :D)?

I also need to do the diff oil and the front and rear of the car appears to have LSD's.

I'm looking at Redline 75w90 from http://performancelub.com.

But the Redline oil finder http://www.redlineoil.com.au/oil-finder.asp, recommends '80W140', which I haven't seen around at all.

Would you recommend using 75w90 in GTR diff's? The front is aftermarket and has a clunk when changing gears, I am not sure if the rear is factory standard or not.

I also found this post: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Re...il-t190062.html

Which is slightly different again and does recommend 75w90 for GTR LSD's, I'm confused.

Regards,

Gareth

P.S. I am trying out the Castrol 5w40 in the GTR engine.

Hi,

Two questions, I bought Redline MTL for my R33 GTR gearbox oil. I've just read more carefully that most people are using MT-90, is MTL ok to use?

Should I ask if its possible to exchange for MT-90 (which would be hard because I have to get it back there first :D)?

I also need to do the diff oil and the front and rear of the car appears to have LSD's.

I'm looking at Redline 75w90 from http://performancelub.com.

But the Redline oil finder http://www.redlineoil.com.au/oil-finder.asp, recommends '80W140', which I haven't seen around at all.

Would you recommend using 75w90 in GTR diff's? The front is aftermarket and has a clunk when changing gears, I am not sure if the rear is factory standard or not.

I also found this post: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Re...il-t190062.html

Which is slightly different again and does recommend 75w90 for GTR LSD's, I'm confused.

Regards,

Gareth

P.S. I am trying out the Castrol 5w40 in the GTR engine.

IMO RL 75w90 would do just nice for your rear. The cluck from the front can either be due to mechanical problem or lack of correct friction modifier from the fluid. A good LSD load fluid like light weight shock proof would normally do the trick(can use RL LSD Fluid), MTL (70w80) would give very good shift & protection for syncro but would not cure your "cluck" noise which i suspect it's from the after market LSD. It's really difficult to advice you which fluid will work or not as we don't even know what type of after market LSD is in there.

I would advice you to try the likeliest solution first, try and error.

IMO RL 75w90 would do just nice for your rear. The cluck from the front can either be due to mechanical problem or lack of correct friction modifier from the fluid. A good LSD load fluid like light weight shock proof would normally do the trick(can use RL LSD Fluid), MTL (70w80) would give very good shift & protection for syncro but would not cure your "cluck" noise which i suspect it's from the after market LSD. It's really difficult to advice you which fluid will work or not as we don't even know what type of after market LSD is in there.

I would advice you to try the likeliest solution first, try and error.

Unfortunately the cars straight from Japan so I also don't know what LSD is in there.

So MTL is ok for a GTR gearbox?

I will try 75w90 in the rear, and look at some redline lightweight shockproof for the front, should I go redline lightweight shockproof in the front without the LSD modifier? Or do I need to add the LSD modifier?

The only thing I know about both LSD's is they seem pretty damn tight and the car is pretty heavily modified from Japan so I'm not sure if it was just street use.

A mechanic has advised that the whine and clunk are from the front LSD but it is "operational".

Unfortunately the cars straight from Japan so I also don't know what LSD is in there.

So MTL is ok for a GTR gearbox?

I will try 75w90 in the rear, and look at some redline lightweight shockproof for the front, should I go redline lightweight shockproof in the front without the LSD modifier? Or do I need to add the LSD modifier?

The only thing I know about both LSD's is they seem pretty damn tight and the car is pretty heavily modified from Japan so I'm not sure if it was just street use.

A mechanic has advised that the whine and clunk are from the front LSD but it is "operational".

Depend on how's your shifting now, if it feel notchy and difficult in engaging, then the MTL(70w80) would work better then thicker 75w90 oil as the thinner oil will squeeze out faster from the syncro thus promoting quick positive shift. RL lightweight shockproof & 75w90 gear oil do already contain LSD additives, the amount of additional LSD additives to add will depends on the level of LSD noise(how tight or losses is the LSD).

There's no real answer to your question, it's more of an educated guess with trial and error thing. I would suggest you add a quart of 75w90 to your front with remaining MTL and see what happens.