SAU Community

R33 Gtr Power?

Hi all, I've been meaning to post up a thread like this for ages but keep on forgetting.

In the near future I will be doing a dyno run with my stock GTR and am interested to hear from you guys what you reckon the figures will be at the wheels. I'm aware of the power loss through the transfer case / altesa systems.

Is it really 280hp? What's the real figure for a 1995 GTR?

Please let me know if you've had the chance to run your GTR on a dyno so I can compare mine and see if she's healthy or not :(

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your car is stock, it will be similar to the R32 GTR, which my friend Orion (gtrzilla) on SAU dyno'd at RE Customs and hit 155 kW at all 4 wheels with shitty compliance cat.

But from doing a bit of reading, there have been GTR's to hit 242 kWs at the Flywheel.

I wouldn't expect too much. Blame the exhaust. It makes a whopping difference, especially when it restricts a bump-up of boost.

206kW at the fly, maybe it's a higher real-world figure, but let's minus 30% (as an approximation of drivetrain power loss) from 206 = approx. 144kW at the wheels, dead stock.

Be happy with more than that :)

Post your results mate, will be interesting to compare with Nissan's BS figure.

If your car is stock, it will be similar to the R32 GTR, which my friend Orion (gtrzilla) on SAU dyno'd at RE Customs and hit 155 kW at all 4 wheels with shitty compliance cat.

But from doing a bit of reading, there have been GTR's to hit 242 kWs at the Flywheel.

I got 156 KW with a MINES ECU and compliance cat converter, 3inch exhaust system.

After tuning it was waaaay more powerful, stock turbo's can't remember what they were running maybe 10psi when it got 156awkw.

Hi hope this helps, when my R32 gtr was stock standard i got 182Rwkw on dyno and with that in mind with all the restrictions they have i could not get more than 7psi of boost, but when to eastern creek raceway and ran a personel best of 12.402sec 1/4mile time with papers to prove it so i was so impressed the modification bug started after that night, goodluck with the car.

cheers.

Hi all, thanks for the many replies. It looks like that the stocko 33 GTR's put out around 220 to 240hp at the wheels from what you guys have posted up.

R31Nismoid, I'll have to have a look at the forced induction forum tomorrow and see what the dyno thread has to say but yeh, what you guys have posted seams about right (with the loss through the drive train and all).

Obviously and you're flooring it on the dyno there will be a point where the Altesa will transfer some torque to the front but this probably differs from gtr to gtr and tyres too I guess....you know, traction issues on the dyno's rollers. The one I'll be using is offcourse an AWD dyno (in this case used for dyno'ing 4x4's) so it'll be interesting to see how much the GTR puts to the front. Sometimes, when I drive enthusiatically, you can see the torque split gauge creep up a little so it'll be good to see this on the dyno.

R33BOY, do you by chance have figures from before and after you put the zhorst system on - or did you get it with a proper system. I have been told by my mechanic that the GTR's actually have a decent system on there but gee, I had a look under there and it doesnt exactly look as "high flow" as on my old GTST lol!

I define Hi Flow as when you wake up in the morning to find hobo's sleeping in your canon.

GTR400, with the R32's you merely disconnect the fuse (I think) to get pure real wheel drive hey? Hence the highish figure?

I cannot do this with the R33 as it will go mental if you pull fuses...it will also not completely shutdown the Altesa making it quite dangerous on a 2WD dyno lol! I wonder how many accidents have happened with that lol!

By the way that's a very decent time you got there - are you sure your car is stock? It must be perfectly tuned!!!!

I got 156 KW with a MINES ECU and compliance cat converter, 3inch exhaust system.

After tuning it was waaaay more powerful, stock turbo's can't remember what they were running maybe 10psi when it got 156awkw.

Must have not been a very happy Dyno. LOL!

I think different dynos give different results.

I have been told by my mechanic that the GTR's actually have a decent system on there but gee, I had a look under there and it doesnt exactly look as "high flow" as on my old GTST lol!

the R32 GTR Cat back is actually quite good. Its atleast 3" but there is a resinator of some sort before the muffler.

Saw a cat back of a R33 GTR, looks kinda thin. Haha!!

Free it up I say. 3" all the way!

Must have not been a very happy Dyno. LOL!

I think different dynos give different results.

the R32 GTR Cat back is actually quite good. Its atleast 3" but there is a resinator of some sort before the muffler.

RE Customs dyno, different day to this person's dyno obviously.

But that's all in the past now :laugh:

R33BOY, do you by chance have figures from before and after you put the zhorst system on - or did you get it with a proper system. I have been told by my mechanic that the GTR's actually have a decent system on there but gee, I had a look under there and it doesnt exactly look as "high flow" as on my old GTST lol!

I haven't got figures but any mechanic that says the exhaust flows very well has issues. It flows, yes, but swap it for aftermarket 3-inch and see the difference!

The difference between my GTST with stock and 3-inch cat back is huge. The muffler is VERY restictive, plus turning up the boost over 7psi does nothing.

I reckon if you made 150awkw, a 3-inch zorst and 12psi would get you 180awkw give or take a little.

R33BOY, yeh mate I was much of the same opinion - but this mob seems to have some issues anyway with not only skylines - they seem to stuff every import they come across! They're one of those mobs who think that the first step to making more power is to put a bleed valve on! Who cares what the state of the engine is - we'll just wind her up and see how she goes and then next day my mate asks me why his r33 gtst is surging at 14 pounds!

Well, my first things I've been meaning to do for ages now are to hi-flow the intake (a.k.a pods) and the exhaust with cat and muffler etc. Should go well good then. Once that is done then well...then I might put the boost up a tiny bit if it hasn't crept up already.

Guys I actually have another question - my work mate and I have been debating this:

How does the ALTESA system work, exactly?

It shifts the torque to the front...but torque and hp are two very different things. How many HP does it make at the front compared to the rear seeing that it only rarely shifts it to the front? I know that it's "on demand all wheel drive" which obviously means, as everyone knows, that the R33 is predominantly a RWD till that is, the rear wheels turn 5% faster than the front.

...after that it starts to load up the front wheels till the rear wheels stop losing traction - something that you don't even notice - only the torque gauge gives it away.

I guess we'll get a good answer on the dyno?

Guys I actually have another question - my work mate and I have been debating this:

How does the ALTESA system work, exactly?

It shifts the torque to the front...but torque and hp are two very different things. How many HP does it make at the front compared to the rear seeing that it only rarely shifts it to the front? I know that it's "on demand all wheel drive" which obviously means, as everyone knows, that the R33 is predominantly a RWD till that is, the rear wheels turn 5% faster than the front.

...after that it starts to load up the front wheels till the rear wheels stop losing traction - something that you don't even notice - only the torque gauge gives it away.

I guess we'll get a good answer on the dyno?

Since you have a R33 GTR you should have the ATTESA-ETS Pro System.

In 1995, with the introduction of the R33 Skyline GT-R, Nissan introduced a new version of their ATTESA system. It was named ATTESA-ETS Pro, as an upgrade from the earlier ATTESA ETS. It was standard equipment in the R33 Skyline GT-R Vspec model, however it was offered as an option on the standard R33 Skyline GT-R, and called the "Active LSD option". It was also standard equipment on all R34 Skyline GT-R models.ATTESA-E-TS Pro differs from the standard ATTESA-E-TS in a few ways. Where ATTESA-E-TS controls the front to rear torque-split, the Pro is also capable of left-and-right torque split to the rear wheels. This is done via an active rear limited-slip differential. Additionally, the ATTESA-E-TS Pro was marketed as controlling the four-wheel independent ABS braking system. This is not part of the AWD system, but the ECU makes use of the same sensors to determine wheel slip and traction.

On ATTESA-E-TS Pro equipped vehicles, the front differential remains a standard limited slip differential, not being linked to the ATTESA-E-TS Pro system.

Ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTESA_E-TS

Ah ok...interesting...yeh mine is V-Spec.

Hey guys above I mentioned that I wanted to highflow both ends of the car. The exhaust would be a legal one running at 90DB while in the front I was hoping to run a K&N panel filter. Do any of you run these high flow filters and also, do they let out more of an induction sound than the standard panel filter in there.

My bombed out GTST had a nice pod in it which made that iconic hair dryer sound with a flutter (a.k.a omg uleh fully sic bro) - loved it. I've seen how well these K&N panels flow - but do they let some of that sweet induction sound out?

I know you guys will say that I should mount a pair of pods but they're illegal. However, do you guys know what the cops think of them when they're enclosed in a decent airbox and firmly secured with approved brackets? I was under the impression that they're illegal (and I don't blame them) for when people bolt a pod on and let the whole thing flop around in there!

Some_cs_student, yeh....come to speak of that I did notice the rear do funny stuff upon gunning it out of corners on my track day....a funny sensation as if the rear wheels were spinning on different sides sorta..

Actually if he has a R33 GTR Vspec he has ATTESA-ETS Pro, otherwise he has ATTESA-ETS only.

Pro means viscous rear LSD which is not always a good thing....

HA! He has a V-Spec :)

tommis85 Twin pods are fine as long as you don't have anything else like a visible BOV or an aftermarket intercooler but you can get away with the intercooler as GTR's had front mounts anyway.