SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

On topic, YT was telling me today how quick some of it is :P Double wish I was there I love the flat out in top gear stuff through real quick corners. :blink:

Also told me of the lack of guard rails.... I nearly pissed myself when he told me he changed some notes from "Triple Caution" to "Westpac"..... As in rescue chopper. Haha

Ha yes I think we might see some rather spectacular off's for THC compared to the usual Tassie ditches, slight hills and field plouging - although upside down in a barn will still remain my favorite. Lets hope everyones safety gear is well in check - there are comments every snow trip how dangerous those roads are.

Actually that was me. The car wiggled a tiny little bit - mainly through the steering wheel - when we hit some standing water and I wasn't expecting it - but at 200km/hr it gave me a minor heart attack!

I think I would have pulled over and walked the rest of the stage after that!

saw your new car yesterday... VERY nicely put together bit of gear

Dan there is only so much we can do in a day given the distance from home.

I've worked out if we head up - drive each stage once and get some footage of it - then head home we still have to cover over 700kms in the day! It's going to be hard to do any meaningful recce without spending a whole weekend up there - which unfotunately is something I won't have time to do.

Dan there is only so much we can do in a day given the distance from home.

I've worked out if we head up - drive each stage once and get some footage of it - then head home we still have to cover over 700kms in the day! It's going to be hard to do any meaningful recce without spending a whole weekend up there - which unfotunately is something I won't have time to do.

We're going up for THC Recee on Oct 23 and will HD video all the stages from my 993 Turbo. I'll upload some if anyone is interested just PM me.

Edited by martyboy26

We're going up for THC Recee on Oct 23 and will HD video all the stages from my 993 Turbo. I'll upload some if anyone is interested just PM me.

I drove through a lot of the stages yesterday, after a days racing at Winton in the R35,

My car is a total mess after more than 25 kms of muddy dirt roads between stages

Don't think I'll both doing it after seeing the state of the roads

Day one is OK, just a bit dangerous in places, good roads thou.

Day two is just remote wilderness

Makes Arrowsmith look like suburbia

I drove through a lot of the stages yesterday, after a days racing at Winton in the R35,

My car is a total mess after more than 25 kms of muddy dirt roads between stages

Don't think I'll both doing it after seeing the state of the roads

Day one is OK, just a bit dangerous in places, good roads thou.

Day two is just remote wilderness

Makes Arrowsmith look like suburbia

:laugh: Sounds like the Turbo will stay in the garage for Recce. Looks like the Pajero it is!

Edited by martyboy26

For anyone wanting to drive over the 28 and 10k stages on the Jamieson Eildon Road I certainly wouldn't take anything too flash as there is 14km section of road construction as detailed in the recce notes.

The 14kms is now 1000% better than it was just four months ago and will continue to be improved. There was hope of it having a seal on it for the event, but too much rain means it will more than likely just be compacted road base and only partly sealed... for 2012 it has potential to be the longest targa stage we've seen.

Jeff's right, on these two stages there are no houses, no business, no nothing... but we do have excellent communications, tracking and incident response!

For anyone wanting to drive over the 28 and 10k stages on the Jamieson Eildon Road I certainly wouldn't take anything too flash as there is 14km section of road construction as detailed in the recce notes.

The 14kms is now 1000% better than it was just four months ago and will continue to be improved. There was hope of it having a seal on it for the event, but too much rain means it will more than likely just be compacted road base and only partly sealed... for 2012 it has potential to be the longest targa stage we've seen.

Jeff's right, on these two stages there are no houses, no business, no nothing... but we do have excellent communications, tracking and incident response!

Sorry if I sounded a bit negative about day two stages

I was very tired after a long day at the track (I'm old remember)

It was all a bit of a shock in the dark and running out of fuel

Maybe it will look better after a second drive with pace notes in hand

I think that the dangerous bits on day one will need tape along the road edges

to find where a car has gone off

it's a very very long drop into that valley

Anyone else been through there yet??

yeah there are some big drops that will have everyone's respect.

a lot of people have been through so far and some great feedback.

have you dusted off the two ton pussy yet?

I thought that the "two ton pussy" was not allowed back as we don't qualify for legends status because we have competed in the past 10 years,

although I would have thought that as this is our 18th Targa we must be getting close to legends by now.

14 years since it ran and we still get asked at most stages every year..... where is the "Two Ton Pussy"

and yes it is very dusty