SAU Community

Rb26/30 Knock Sensors

=premo=

Just trying to find the easiest way around attaching them to the RB30 block.

Block is a 12mm hole, the knock sensors are a 8mm donut.

I was thinking of using a heli coil but I dont know how effective this would be.

Any ideas??

Ended up using a heli coil inside a heli coil to fill the 12mm RB30 hole down to a 8mm hole, it worked very well and I used a little lock tight to make sure the coils dont move.

i'd be careful with that as the helicoil's with loctite may act as a damper between the sensor and the block... anyone know for sure?

The metal face on the underside of the knock sensor is clamped up against the flat surface on the block very tightly by the 8mm bolt so the heli coil shouldn't make a difference to the readings. If the bolt was part of the sensor like the RB20 and 25 knock sensors then the heli coil may make a difference as they rely on the thread to transfer the vibration instead of the surface.

:laugh:

Well thats what I recall doing.. I used a bolt and a washer on each GTR knock sensor when I mounted them to the RB30 block.

Maybe I didn't use the original holes for the RB30 knock sensors but ones close. The knock sensor worked fine today on the dyno however.

Fitting a helicoil (screw thread insert) is a great way to repair damaged threads and restore the component so the original bolt size can be reused.

The secret to the helicoil is that, prior to installation, the insert is larger in diameter than the tapped hole. Before hole is tapped to suit the helicoil it is drilled a larger size.

I know the area you are talking about but my holes are what looks like filled in with some sort of epoxy or hard crap.

You can just see where the paint is slightly smooth/shiny looking in the centre of the top lugs.