SAU Community

Battery Removal

Kyro

Ok the other day I was disconnecting my battery from my R33 GTS and began unscrewing the negative cable from the car (secured with 2 small nuts) I thought this would be the easiest way. I got the first nut off fine but when I began undoing the second one it sparked at first I thought it was just a little discarge but when the nut lost contact with the securing plate it sparked again and set the alarm off, I then had to tighten it again with more sparking but once it was in contact again the alarm went off... WTF? I'm sure this was the neg cable as it was connected to the boot (earthed?) and the other cable had the red cover on it and was beside the fuse console. Was I supposed to disconect the engine bay leads instead? Or is there a problem somewhere along the line? Plz help guys :ermm:

The sparking is because something (usually stereo, for keeping station settings) is still drawing current. No major drama.

Most alarm sirens will go off if they switch to their backup battery (such as when the car's battery is disconnected). The siren should have a key to turn it off so you can disconnect the car battery.

Yea, that may be a problem. When i bought the car i did not receive a key from the owner (for the alarm). Are there any other ways to stop it. For example, any ground wires to take off for the back up battery for the alarm? Preferably a way with out breaking anything :laugh:

If you cant disarm the alarm for a battery removal, you prolly should get a key. Some clever sparkys might be able to get a similar key for you.

Small amount of arcing is normal, though when the you touch the terminals, provide positive pressure with one hand, so it doesn't keep doing it.

my alarm came with a key to turn the alarm to silent so when changing batteries the alarm would go off but you couldnt hear it