SAU Community

Transmission Fluid Leak

sturb25

I have a 1998 series 2 RS4 S manual and i thought i had an oil leak but apon further inspection the liquid leaking from the back of my gearbox was red which suggests that it is transmission fluid. So i went into my local nissan dealer where i get all my parts from with a photo of the leak. They said it was my torque slit controller where the line bolts up to the rear of the gearbox just just below the rear tail shaft which goes to the rear torque slit controller actuator. Which exlpains why its tranny fluid. Does anyone know how to seal up the leak and where the tranny fliud resovoir is for the torque slit controller as i dont want to run it dry and do any damage while im sorting out how im going to get it fixed.

Any help would be good

Thanks

Heres some photos to

post-52162-1218329416_thumb.jpg

post-52162-1218329437_thumb.jpg

Between the gearbox housing(silver bit) and the hose bit(brown bit) there's a gasket in there that's let go - replace that, bleed the system them it should be right.

In the mean time keep watching your fluid level in the boot, don't let it bleed dry or run below 'low'.

Between the gearbox housing(silver bit) and the hose bit(brown bit) there's a gasket in there that's let go - replace that, bleed the system them it should be right.

In the mean time keep watching your fluid level in the boot, don't let it bleed dry or run below 'low'.

Thanks will check it now

I thought that resovoir in the boot was four my hicas 4 wheel steering?

I thought that resovoir in the boot was four my hicas 4 wheel steering?

Nah mate, its for the 4 wheel drive system. Top it up with auto trans or power steering fluid. Castrol transmax Z if the wallet allows :thumbsup: Always check level when car is running too, should be aware of that if youve ever looked at it on a really cold morning before you've started it becuase the level will be really high

Nah mate, its for the 4 wheel drive system. Top it up with auto trans or power steering fluid. Castrol transmax Z if the wallet allows :laugh: Always check level when car is running too, should be aware of that if youve ever looked at it on a really cold morning before you've started it becuase the level will be really high

Thanks

So where is ur hicas resovoir? or does it run off the same resovoir as the front power steering rack?