SAU Community

Wanted-carbon Fibre Sheet

The Bogan

Anyone know where i can purchase some CF sheet, i need a sheet about 600mm x 600mm x 0.5mm. I have googled and looked up the yellow pages but the closest place i can find is in Germany.

If anyone has old or damadged flat panels, ie bonnets or anything similar i may be interested.

Im building a new air box, this is actually going to be the third attempt, first was made from perspex which leaned on and stuffed it, second from aluminium which is to shinny so i thought CF was the obvious next choice.

Thanks MLR

http://www.fibreglassmaterials.com.au/

they can sell you the carbon twill in different types- also the resins you need.

grab 2 sheets of glass and make your own. there was another carbon shop in castle hill but i cant remember the name of it, was close to where UAS used to be located.

If you ask at UAS, a guy a few shops down called Oddsocks does anything in CF

is this at the old location though on victoria avenue?

couldnt remember the company name for them when i wrote my last post

there is a group called southern cross composites i think? used to be on ebay selling it by the sheet

i got a piece 2x2 meters, cut out the buggery out of my bonnet and riveted it on... sold it for $500

all that was left that was steel was the outer 1 inch perimeter of the bonnet, and a small amount of reinforcement

• 3 weeks later...

Surely there is someone out there in beautiful skippy land that sells C/Fibre by the sheet. I too have looked and looked and can't find anybody.

I'm even having trouble finding someone that sells the weave!!!.

Neil.

Surely there is someone out there in beautiful skippy land that sells C/Fibre by the sheet. I too have looked and looked and can't find anybody.

I'm even having trouble finding someone that sells the weave!!!.

Neil.

hey Neil,

FMS has sold it to me but that was a while ago - did you check the link i posted earlier?

think i might start making up some sheeting someday soon, was waiting on confirmation of the best UV stable resin to use on it.

• 2 months later...

You know whats funny,,,I went back and did a google au search,,,turns out SAU are on to of the list who are after carbon fibre sheets.

Seems the only country that sells by the sheet is the UK and it's expensive and way too aussie dollar prohibitive. Bugger.

I know someone has to be making it here because the car I'll race against next year has a full front lower aero-kit made of it and I mean 4mm/5mm thick.

Neil.

what size sheets you after Neil ?

Chris I'm after sheets that will give me this. I need those extra riveted pieces for some more down-force over the back wheels. About 600mm long by about 200mm wide and about 3 or 4mm thick.

post-29-1227009350_thumb.jpg

post-29-1227009443_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris you are as usual a legend.

My off season is going be as busy as the race season and I only get 3 months

I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks again

Neil.

Try looking through the yellow pages and calling all the fibreglassers and boat builders in there and tell them what your after.

my dad is a fibreglass boat builder and they use carbon fibre for heaps of things.

one of the shops should have a flat mould large enough to make a sheet for you. just call and get a few qoutes to ensure you get a normal / cheap price. and they can make a one off piece for you..

I think the reason you cant find anything on google is becuase there isnt really a market for mass produced flat sheets of carbon. plus all the fibreglassers websites will only promote what they make not what they can make.

goodluck with your quest :sick:

hope all goes well.

Corey

Edited by sIIgtst

• 2 months later...

most fiberglass suppliers have carbon or can get it for you, i know you want it pre fabbed but its so easy to make flat sheets with compsites its not funny just get a thin sheet of gal or any other large flat cheap material and use it as a "mould" wax it up then lay the clear gel once cured lay the carbon then back it up with glass or continue with the carbon. to get it off the gal just lift one side and curl over its self and ur flat sheet will release.