SAU Community

Bicycle Thread

Mr Eps

problem is that the pedestrians are the ones who are the risk to the cyclists. the dopey flamin mongrels with ipods who step out in front of them without looking. in fact i had one do it when i was in the car. didn't even look just stepped out onto the road. luckily i was watching him and thinking to myself "i bet he doesn't even look". wasn't a young guy either. he was probably 55.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Sled

62cm TREK OCLV 110 5900 Series road bike

Touch under 5 grand when I got it

Love the thing.... Nearly as much as my GTR

But due to work havent ridden in 3 years, I will be hitting it hard in 5 weeks.

Time to get back onto her.

post-9747-1257867913_thumb.jpg

57cm is a stupidly tall frame for a mtb though. generally made for someone well over 6 foot, generally 6'6 or taller. jase 50cm or 55cm would suit you. i only ride a 50cm and i'm 6'3. sure i have the seat the whole way up, but i prefer shorter top tube lengths.

road bikes on the other hand are sized totally different to mtb's. well not totally different, but generally you take a different size road bike to mtb. a large frame road bike will be around 57cm, and extra large will be around 60cm. the top tube lengths on road bikes will often be shorter, because of the difference in handlebars and stems. for example, in the 09 stuff, the bike you have jase in a 20" frame (50cm) has a 589mm top tube length. but in the road bikes, a 58cm frame bike only has a top tube length of 585mm.

going to a bigger frame won't help too much with that. if you go to the next frame size up the handlebar height comes up by 20mm, but it is also about 10mm further away. your best bet would either be a steerer tube extender or a stem with a steeper angle. the stock stem is only 5 degrees. my bike has a 40 degree stem on it.

this is the only pic of it i could find on the computer. you can see the angle of the stem and how much higher it makes the bars compared to yours

1104081036.jpg

caad5 frame geometry, compadre. i'll still beat your shitty bike :thumbsup:

my friend saw me riding from her car yesterday and speed tested me said she speed matched me at 45 kmh

i was like

fk yea

i have one of those "big bike ride" things on the 22nd - it's a 60 km ride... my first like... "charity ride"

can't wait!

got an apollo altitude 24" (61cm) mtb last week ..it's only a $500 bike but who cares. The standard mtb tyres are a bit of a pita for the road/footpaths, was wondering if changing to a 1.5" slick tyre (stock one is 1.95" knobby) would help in riding on the road to the shops etc ?

found these really cheap slicks at $16 each at torpedo7.com.au with good reviews ..worthwhile upgrade??

yes they will make a big difference. i run them on my bike. you could even go skinnier if you wanted. i run michelin 26 x 1.4's on my bike. they are a more expensive tyre because they have a layer of plastic between the tread and the canvas to prevent punctures. you are looking at about $40+ for one of them though. but you can run them at 90psi, which also helps you roll faster. the stock tyres on the altitude you can only run up to about 60psi.

and a 24" frame? how tall are you???? must be pretty tall to ride a 24". i find even the 22" frames feel big.

and that reminds me. i should go build some altitudes because i sold all the ones i had on the floor. pity you weren't in qld though, cause i am selling the altitudes for $400 (09 models though, which are pretty much identical to the 2010 model, just different colour)