SAU Community

WARNING: 15 year rule changes

2Much

It is going to happen every where when people advertise buy this modified car and all you have to do is pass rego in your state.

Try and rego some of those cars after next month.

I have to get my car over the pits this week after being registered in NSW for for 18 months and even then I am worried.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent read the complete thread.Im in NSW.

My understanding ids that[with major buisness group involvement] the shonkies have been pushed out of low volume schemes and into the enthusiest schemes.

Im an enthusiest so i should be able to import and register my car.No the scheme is to keep small car sales yard in buisness.

My mate works for an engineer that is setting up Raws workshop.Its B/S.clients of theirs are buying 1989 models 100 at a time for storage. I dont know why but 1988 models are of no interest.

I have R31 and R32 chasis number by month http://www.geocities.com/davehoos/TWO.html

http://www.geocities.com/davehoos/cnor31.html

as it is time consuming to type this i also have R31 R32 R33 N14 C32 and soon parts books on CD with details,and some early manuals

.parts book 910 jap,european.T12 T72 european odd and sods.

P/s when i imported the passage it had to be older than 15yrs.

I was told that you have to have a car 2yrs before they give a bit when transfering from states.

a work mate got a WA regoed familia [no complience]and they said no here in NSW untill they read the act over the phone on cross state transferes.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.htm

Our Reference: L1999/0719

VEHICLES IMPORTED AS 15 YEARS OR OLDER

We wish to advise that:

Vehicles 15 years or older must be at least 15 years old at time of making an application. For example if the vehicle is manufactured in the month of November 1988, then an application cannot be made until November 2003.

Regulation 17 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations provides that:

The Minister must approve an application to import a nonstandard road vehicle or a vehicle that does not

have an identification plate if the vehicle is 15 or more years old.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that vehicles meet the requirement to be 15 or more years old at the time of

application. It has become apparent that many applicants are expecting to import vehicles early in the new year under

the provisions of Regulation 17. To meet the requirements of the regulation vehicles must be at least 15 years old at the

time of application. Vehicles that do not meet that requirement are not eligible to be imported.

From 1 January 2004, applications to import vehicles that are 15 or more years old will need to include evidence to confirm the

age of the vehicle. Acceptable evidence would include (but not be limited to) confirmation from the vehicle manufacturer of

evidence of first date of registration. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected, unless it is obvious

from the vehicle model concerned that it would meet the requirements of Regulation 17 (for example, if the vehicle was a

Model T Ford).

I just bought a skyline today, r33 gts-t and I'm getting it complience for $3k, gets here in 30 days ;) And i talked to the complience workshop regarding the 15 yr rule, and all it cost is $750 to for them to complience - well this was based on a r32 quote.

You guys are getting quotes which are pretty high i think ...

I'm in sunny queensland, i realise imports are a little cheaper here comparded to like melbourne - I'm basing this like on tradingpost prices. The number of imports in brisbane, especially in the sunnybank area is ridiculous, on the south side itself theres about 10 japanese performance importers.

arh well ....

queensland i think 750 is a rip off

because all they do is register the thing (i know they might do something maybe start it up and drive it around the block)

nsw for your 1-2 grand generally you actually get something done to your 15 year old import (eg side intrusion bars, seat belts and the engineers ticket yad yad yad)

just my thoughts

pete

Spoke to the person who drafted the "compliance" rules for WA today. This shit just keeps getting better...Not only will each car require an engineers sign off to vouch for the compliance of lights etc to ADRs they will also require an emissions test at Orbital at around 400 bucks a test...

Jash