SAU Community

WARNING: 15 year rule changes

2Much

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

morgs posted this on another forum

I heard rumour about this 2 or 3 months ago hence I havent bought any 89 cars and discouraged people who were considering them

I just got a reply from DOTARS re the 15 year rule:

The Departments policy on 15 years old vehicle will be changing on 1 October 2003 all vehicles to qualify under this scheme must be 15 years old by month to qualify for import. In regards to any other changes to this scheme this section will not be privy to any changes until they are announced to the general public as the would be classed as cabinet in confidence.  

Sorry I can not be of any more assistance.

my laurel will have to wait a while the cefiro will do though

safer yes... but making the 32 cost viable to bring in is another thing

exactly.. thing is if you look at the pricing strucuture.. basically it doesn't make much sense to bring in older vehicles. With the increased price of compliance, why pay around $4k compliance on a R32, when its pretty much the same (if not less) to comply an R33.. The price of the car can be comparable, as the difference in between say a 32 and 33 Japan is only a few $k. When you remember most of the costs are in everything *other* than the car itself, by the time it comes into the country its evened out.

The only way it would make older cars more attractive is through the 15 year rule, but expect that to be totally overhauled soon (after the effect of the current month-month thing that comes in oct 03 has bedded down I'd say). The differences between getting a 15 year and, say a 10 year car on the road (as they are currently) don't even make too much sense to me

Me too in a way. For a lot of people trying to get their dream car at a price that seems "too good to be true". It could be a very long and nervous wait. Who is to say they don't change it halfway through next year either? There is no guarantee...

I'd say there would be a lot of very pissed off people out there.. but the only way to do something is start writing people!! Without "the powers that be" knowing peole are very unhappy with this, they'll just assume that what they're doing is fine and accepted...

IMPORTANT

We have received written confirmation today from DOTARS that their application of the 15 year rule will change on 1st October 2003 from a year only designation to a month and year designation. For example, this means that a February 1989 model would be eligible for import in March 2004 and a November 1989 model would be eligible for import in November 2004.

Most affected will be models such as MX-5's, MR-2's, Celsiors, 300ZX's and R32's as these were only made from June 1989 and onwards. Some RX-7's, Supras and other models made in early 1989 will obviously still be eligible for import in early 2004.

DOTARS have never applied the rule this way since 1992 when it was first introduced, however they have obviously decided to do so now to slow down the import of 1989 models in early 2004.

All we can do is to act on the best information available and to warn of the risks prior to purchase, which is always our approach for all customers, then to supply updates outlining any confirmed changes to the rules, which is the purpose of this e-mail. 1989 models will still be sent to the Mailing List, and as usual it is up to customers to determine the risk and timeframes for themselves and to make their own decision.

A phase in period and / or special exemptions for those that have already bought vehicles relying on the way that DOTARS have applied the rules for the last 11 years, would be an obvious, reasonable and responsible approach. However, at this time neither has been indicated by DOTARS and no further detail has been supplied other than the above information.

Specific queries should therefore not be addressed to us, but to DOTARS themselves at [email protected] or on 1800 815 272 if calling within Australia or 61 26274 7444 outside Australia. The website address is http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/

Given that they are probably being inundated with similar questions at the moment, it is recommended to keep your questions short and to the point to allow for a quicker response.

Written applications and enquiries should be addressed to:

The Administrator of Vehicle Standards

Vehicle Safety Standards

GPO Box 594

CANBERRA ACT 2601

it seems official... i just got the e-mail from geoff @ pretigemotorsport

I think we should "COMPLAIN LOUDLY" I was wanting my r32 here in Jan! But to stem the flow of cars entering the country an cutting the prices of second hand aussie POS cars we are getting raped by the government again by the looks of things.

This is garbage its time the aussie car market had to compete with the world and stand on its own to feet. Instead the industry is in the pocket of all the people in that matter. We somehow need to be heard!

Same with the hooning laws in WA Grrrr

Bitching complete

lol if you bought a 89 car specially the 89 gtr 800k people... OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

people in the industry have known this all along and it has come true

fancy that

pete

Voicing up is definately the best option.

Yes, it looks like the rule will change, but the change hasn't been announced. It it likely that any changes will make allowance for puchases before the announcement date.

If there isn't allowance for previous purchases, then I like many of you will be in for a painful wait, but presedence would suggest purchases before the announcment date will be ok...

To be safe, we need to voice our concerns to DOTARS in the mean time to ensure they realise how many of us have purchased on the assumption that a law that has been constant for 11 years, doesn't change with only 2 months notice.

one proplem wit that thinking doug you wouldhave a leg to stand on if you ahd placed your import approval in b4 the legislation was written there is very little retrospective law in aus.

but you cant place your import approval untill the car is eligable.

also whats to stop the govt changing the rules so they only allow standard cars rather than modded one under the 15 year rule?

cheers

Yes, it looks like the rule will change, but the change hasn't been announced. It it likely that any changes will make allowance for puchases before the announcement date.

While it seems nice in theory.. it was not as if any official process at all to be honest when these cars were put in storage by certain importers. It was just like me buying any car in Japan and having it stored there.. it doesn't mean anything officially. Until somebody actually signs some sort of import requrest, its just a car sitting there.

Sure you might have transferred $$ for it, but likewise I could buy a 1999 Honda Civic in Japan like the ones sold here and it would be "mine"... but there is no way in hell i could ever import it.

I think there could be very little recourse to be honest... you just have to wait and just hope that they don't change everything around again before your car is elligible.