SAU Community

WARNING: 15 year rule changes

2Much

well, my dad works in the industry and months ago he told me not to even bother with a 15year old car as they rule would be changed for sure. Everyone in the industry seems to think that the change that has just gone underway is to give them more time to pass legislation to stop 15year vehicles all toghether.

You have to realise that some very powerful people and groups are against these vehicles coming in.

Think about any lobby groups who are for road safety.... GTR's for 16k isnt going to help safety, now they are affordable to lots of people.

Also companies like Toyota/Lexus and Nissan. They would have their dealers screaming at them as there aus delivered 300zx's are going to worth even less to sell and the LS400's which now go for around 20k will only be worth 12k. Again, same with Mazda and the MX5.

This will lead to loss of jobs (something the government doesnt want) and loss of taxes..... and its obviously big enough to offset any import tax they get.. or they wouldnt do it... all they want is MONEY... same with new SEVS rules... they would have had to have had a lot of pressure to change it as it cuts out a fair bit of revenue.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly right there dAVE.. when you start bringing in the versions of the cars that australia largely shoulda got in the first place back then, at a price that makes any locally sold vehicle seem overpriced and underpowered - it really cuts a hole in the 2nd hand dealers market, and frankly their pocket.

Even a few low priced cars can be enough to tip the scales enough for it to be a concern for them.

Already it must be pretty hard to sell a buyer a new 350zx, RX8 or newish S15 when you can go out and buy an equivalent powered Nissan car for 1/2 to 1/3 the price, even though it won't be new.

Holden would be screaming for a start, its kind of hard to convince joe public that their HSV is the "ultimate" sports coupe on the road under $100k, when there are a crapload of Skylines out there for 1/4 of the price that will kick their ass :P

Cant work out what ALL the fuss is about,Whats a 15Y/o 32 SkylineGTST going to cost you?

Car cost -250-350.oooYen @$4800 AUD

Import Duty/ GST/freight $3400AUD

State Compliance/ service/engineer sign off ect$2000AUD

Licence/stamp duty $l600 AUD

TOTAL $10800AUD

This is excluding a "BEND OVER FEE" from your Broker and any paint/panel and major mechanical repairs, remembering you are dealing with a 15Y/O vehicle so clutches and turbos are not un-likely.

So in reality its probably going to owe [email protected].......

Lets look at the Sunday papers or Autotrader mags now shal We

1995 Skyline GTST with mods @17.500K

1993'' '' @13.500 with out stereo"big deal"

1994" " @16.500 from a yard with 3Ywarranty

1996" " @20.500K

1994" " @16.000K

These are all licecnced/complianced/and have decent mods ie:Rims ,exhaust ,PFC, suspention,kits ect. they are also "tangable" you can drive them and have them inspected no Russian roulet here.

This makes the 15Y/O option a bit lame....It also makes the vehicles imported under the RAW scheme look very un-financial ie;

1995 RAW Skyline GTST [email protected] with NO mods at all!!!!

Give it some serious thought, forget importing as there are bargains to be had without the headaches and without paying for the brokers new 750K house!!!!!!

These are all licecnced/complianced/and have decent mods ie:Rims ,exhaust ,PFC, suspention,kits ect. they are also "tangable" you can drive them and have them inspected no Russian roulet here.

lol, you obviously haven't heard the amount of people that have been burnt via buying a dealer car. Many of the dealer cars are major accident repaired cars, brought in and fixed on the cheap. You *always* get what you pay for....

I hear you, although I think the probability of importing a 15Y/O vehicle with accident repair damage is greater than more current models and you can allways check out the local stuff yourself! as you get what you pay for.....or is it you get what you can see for yourself!!

Dude a 1989 GTR32 with full topsecret mods, veilside kit ,18"works alloys, full spec electronic controllers, mint paint and never seen a paint shop, only driven on Sundays by a Nun ,dont really exist!!!!! regardless of what your so called "Brokers" have to say!!

The vast majority are full spec ex-drift cars and most have had more hits than" Tina Turner" and driffted up Roko mountain to with-in an inch of there lives. But if you can find one from the Osaka church drift club let me know!!!

Hey Regan.

Living in WA must be an arse raping expierence.

Here in SA it doesn't cost anywhere near that much to get a 15yr old import on the road.

Side intrusion bars are THE most expensive part of it and even they only cost 500 with an engineers certificate.

Basically we can do the whole lot for around $1100-$1500 +stamp duty and rego. Thats it.

Once ya have ya car that is.

Now all of the cars i have brought in, have been great cars.

I know this because EVERYONE of them is still on the road, not requiring any major work. All of the ppl i have sold them i still speak to and see.

Glenn

P.s. All these warranties are, are insurance policies. They are backed by basically insurance companies. There is a limit to how much you can claim aswell.

The yards usually figure it into the price.

Mr-s413bt, i can get a 15yr old car reg in W.a for around that price of even less.

regan; IMporting is a RISK, but u will find most import cars in australia would have been "Hit very hard", i have not once seen one import driver who doesnt hit his/her car hard or drift it crazy.

Importing a 15yr old car, is good for cars like GTR, and other high-mod cars cuz their is no cost in removing the mods. Also the new import system was ment 2 have that affect on the market, so australia firms didn't lose money.

I wonder if you could find a "SHOW CAR" type GTR i bet it wouldnt have been Hit that hard hehehe:D

At the moment Soulja - Lets see you try and do it for less than 1500 bucks commercially when Transport introduce their new registration guidelines - It'll be of SUTI standard - with full belt changes, intrusion bars, new cats, filler neck restrictors the works - and an engineer sign off on the whole car - I do believe that'll cost a bit.

Jash

The cost will be more like $1,500 to $2,000 at least.

Side intrusion bars $500,

Seat belts $200,

Cat $200,

Tyres $250,

Engineer sign off $150,

Fillerneck inc labour$120,

Service $140,

Inspection $130,

Rego $250,

Plus u/s parts $150+.

These are prices what we paid day in day out not pulled out of my arse so I know what I am talking about.

A friend in the transport department wont help pay the bills or pass it as they are all going to be trained what not to pass from big turbos, BOV's to even boost conrolers.

Dont say it wont happen just like people said the 15 year rule wont be changed.

The prices where from NSW now I am in Perth lucky for us one of the partners is a automotive engineer ooh save $200 so it wont make much of a diference.

I am class 2 cert welder so I can make side intrusion bars which also helps.

When it comes in next month here some imported un registered cars will be going cheap.

Hey DRIFTT.

Yeah basically you get a full inspection here.

We need to take basically everything to get our cars through aswell. Gauges, boost controllers, turbo timers, aftermarket steering wheels and gear knobs, um strut braces, no coil over suspension.

It can be a bit distressing at times! lol