SAU Community

Financing A R32

Daniel vp

Hey guys and gals my names Daniel and ive just recently turned 18.I currently own a Vl berlina commodore i have a few qustions to ask so here it goes. So to put it simple i am waying up wether to finance in a r32 with a $5000 deposit or to rebuild a Rb30 into a Rb30det and restore the body of my vl and put the RB30det into the vl (the stock rb30 is coming from my old car ) ,another option is for me to finance the r32 and sell my commodore to put the money towards it so then i only have lets say roughly $4000 to pay off and the car is mine and id have a spare engine (RB30DET) What would you do? :dry:

Definatly Go the R32 route they are just such a fun well balanced car compared to VL comodore.

And at later date get the RB30 block built with Twin cam conversion to fit to the R32, but be prepared to get finance again to keep a new set of rear tyres on the car every month.

Hey Bud, good on you for saving up a deposit for a great car in the R32 GTR.

Some things to be weary of is that they are getting on in age now and cost a mint in maintenance and or repairs. Essentially, unless you are willing to pay top dollar for a top condition one or already rebuilt one, be prepared to do the rebuilding yourself.

The upfront cost and heritage of the R32 GTR is very appealing these days, but the ongoing costs can be a big hinderance.

Without trying to generalise, I would say few to none of the 18yr olds I know would have a budget that would afford to run a R32 GTR.

My suggestion is continue driving your VL (without wasting money on modding it) and save your bickies up for a few years time (when it is probably legal to drive a turboed car) and you can then enjoy what it's like to drive a R32 GTR and the responsibility of owning and maintaining it. Sorry for sounding like I'm trying to steer you away from owning a skyline, but owning a car of that nature comes with both pro's and con's.

Agreed with above.

Owning a GTR. You'll need at least extra 5k just lying around just for emergency type of stuff and general fixes for things that breaks and maintenance if you can't do the work yourself.

I currently own a 32GTR since about 3 month ago, and I've already spent about 3k on it and I don't see myself stop spending money on it, just to get it to the way I wanted.

The s13 silvia and a 180sx is probabaly a better option for you.

the previous posters have hit te nail on the head I reckon. great as they are, the GTR [if that's what you intend to do] is an expensive car to own. have you checked the insurance on one?!!. if you can afford one OK, but if not, get something that is more affordable, yet still enjoyable for a year or two, then go the 32 route.

let's know what you decide on.

good luck

Is it just me, or did this guy never mention the three letters GTR? If i was you, I would keep the berlina and save up the money to put it outright. That way you dont have to stress about a loan when you get fired/break a limb/ cant work etc. When you can afford it, just get a GTS-T dude. Enough power for a p plater hey?

Hey guys and gals my names Daniel and ive just recently turned 18.I currently own a Vl berlina commodore i have a few qustions to ask so here it goes. So to put it simple i am waying up wether to finance in a r32 with a $5000 deposit or to rebuild a Rb30 into a Rb30det and restore the body of my vl and put the RB30det into the vl (the stock rb30 is coming from my old car ) ,another option is for me to finance the r32 and sell my commodore to put the money towards it so then i only have lets say roughly $4000 to pay off and the car is mine and id have a spare engine (RB30DET) What would you do? :P

ok i'm going to assume your allowed to drive turbo and are looking to finance a r32 gts-t. so...

my suggestion is that its not worth the money and effort to rebuild. save that money and get the gts-t. but as others say. the r32 requires alot of maintenance and money. if you don't have that much money and don't wish to be in alot of debt. another viable option is go for the silvias. 180SX Type-X isn't too bad. its got 153 kW, 274 Nm w/ factory turbo. it does roughly 0-100 in 6.2s. they go for around 10-12K. 180 parts are cheap. its also a 2.0L so its cheap on fuel. anyways just my 2 cents aye. goodluck :P

ok i'm going to assume your allowed to drive turbo and are looking to finance a r32 gts-t. so...

my suggestion is that its not worth the money and effort to rebuild. save that money and get the gts-t. but as others say. the r32 requires alot of maintenance and money. if you don't have that much money and don't wish to be in alot of debt. another viable option is go for the silvias. 180SX Type-X isn't too bad. its got 153 kW, 274 Nm w/ factory turbo. it does roughly 0-100 in 6.2s. they go for around 10-12K. 180 parts are cheap. its also a 2.0L so its cheap on fuel. anyways just my 2 cents aye. goodluck :D

Spot on,

I agree Nissan 180sx the way to go!

Thats my 1 cents worth!

Nah the 180 aint for me i couldnt see myself driving one not my type of car,if im going to spend 11k to 13k on a car why not get a r32 gts-t yea it might require a fair bit of maintence but so does every car i dont care about the money i spend on it (Maintaining it) because its worth it in the end im not gona go buy a car i dont like because its cheaper and only 2. L should come in milk cartons :)

Edited by Daniel vp

• 2 weeks later...
Nah the 180 aint for me i couldnt see myself driving one not my type of car,if im going to spend 11k to 13k on a car why not get a r32 gts-t yea it might require a fair bit of maintence but so does every car i dont care about the money i spend on it (Maintaining it) because its worth it in the end im not gona go buy a car i dont like because its cheaper and only 2. L should come in milk cartons :)

dude u do know that r32 gtst's are 2L aswell? lol

Agreed with above.

Owning a GTR. You'll need at least extra 5k just lying around just for emergency type of stuff and general fixes for things that breaks and maintenance if you can't do the work yourself.

I currently own a 32GTR since about 3 month ago, and I've already spent about 3k on it and I don't see myself stop spending money on it, just to get it to the way I wanted.

The s13 silvia and a 180sx is probabaly a better option for you.

i have to disagree i have owned my 32 r for nearly 3 years and run up over 40000 km and the only maintainence has been regular servicing and AFM's died so instead of replacing the air flow meters i changed ecu to a vipec so i dont need afm's anymore .

Just buy a decent condition GTR and you shouldn.t need thousands in the bank constantly on the chance something will break or need repair ....

GTR's are really no worse for maintanence than any other 10 to 20 year old car on the road .

if they are looked after you should not have a problem

Is it just me, or did this guy never mention the three letters GTR?

thats what i thought too.....

save for a later model skyline (but r32s are cheap and fun to drive) - depends on if u can wait

what ever you do don't borrow money to buy an import....

if you can't afford to buy it with cash then you can't afford it.

seen it too many times, mates take out loans to buy imports the car breaks or they lose their job and are forced to sell , or leave it in the shed for 6months....