SAU Community

Hicas Or 4ws What Are Your Thoughts?

Julz89

hey guys just wondering about the hicas system on the skylines, is it worth it advantages / disadvantages etc as i no of a few people say its pretty s**t but yer, any one know whats good or bad about it? Cheers.

simply put - in a stock car it serves its purpose.

once you modify things (from tyres, suspension, wheels, more power etc) its no longer really useful and makes the car feel unbalanced.

I had it in my stock HR31 years ago, suited the factory suspension and everything well.

Had no place in my GTS-R with everything modified however

thats what it was basically designed for but like stated above each to there own opinion some dont mind having it and some lock it out.

It depends on how modded the car is also.

Mine is stock and at the moment its not doing me nay harm

Interesting Anecdotes about 4WS Cars.

Generation 3 Honda Prelude used a mechanical 4WS bar set-up which enabled this coupe to corner at blistering speeds.

Wiki states that this car came 2nd only to a Lambo in a slalom test! I've driven this car and in its day it had remarkable cornering ability. Sitting in the rear, it seemed unnerving as if you were in a slide or about to oversteer.

Mazda MX-6 prided itself on how it had a superb electronically controlled 4WS system. Unfortunately, if it ever broke down, the rear wheels developed a reputation in defaulting to a full-lock position.

Nissan R32 GT-R with its HICAS helped the Group A team to an unprecedented no. of track wins. Heavily modified R33s and R34s commonly took them off, not just for wt. saving but to give the driver more steering feel according to reports. The Nissan Skyline GTR DVD by Duke is where Dirk Shoisman and other track guys here on SAU can give better reasons than I can, as to why the system is removed.

Generation 4 Honda Prelude (VTiR model only) had an electronic 4WS system. It was not as abrupt in its adjustment of the rear wheels during tight cornering as its predecessor. If it ever broke down, the rear wheels would default to a straight position. My daily (VTiR) seems very well planted on sweepers - but not so on tight corners being FWD.

Generation 5 Honda Prelude VTiR model AU version never had a 4WS system. It was an option in Japan. Australia did however have an ATTS model where say, on a left hand sweeper, the outside or right hand wheels would automatically rotate quicker to enable turning to be tighter and for steering to have more feel than any previous 4WS set-up.

It is speculated that the ATTS system is being trialled on the new project Honda NSX.

The HICAS is more so a parking aid and used for handling / cornering perposes.

When you turn the steering wheel, left or right, the rear wheels will turn in the opposite direction of what the front are.

1st time GTR drivers will tend to 'Oversteer' the car as they are not use to the HICAS and the rear kicks out alittle.

I think it can interfere with your cornering, thats why a lot of ppl dis-like it.

4WS (4 Wheel Steer) or 4WD (4 Wheel Drive) or AWD (All Wheel Drive). I see it that it's tied in with the cars ATTESA E-TS.

The HICAS is more so a parking aid and used for handling / cornering perposes.

When you turn the steering wheel, left or right, the rear wheels will turn in the opposite direction of what the front are.

1st time GTR drivers will tend to 'Oversteer' the car as they are not use to the HICAS and the rear kicks out alittle.

HICAS is not a parking aid, its approx 1 degree of movement from the rear wheels, its for cornering and its only at certain speeds or something similar, I don't know the technical details.

The HICAS doesn't really kick the rear out as such, but it does confuse most drivers who have it when they lose control as it makes the car less predictable, that's why anyone who does circuit work will remove it.

I had some issues with it on the street, for some reason my one didn't like highway's and I was planning to do track occasionally so I spent $80 removing it :cool:

HICAS is not a parking aid, its approx 1 degree of movement from the rear wheels, its for cornering and its only at certain speeds or something similar, I don't know the technical details.

The HICAS doesn't really kick the rear out as such, but it does confuse most drivers who have it when they lose control as it makes the car less predictable, that's why anyone who does circuit work will remove it.

I had some issues with it on the street, for some reason my one didn't like highway's and I was planning to do track occasionally so I spent $80 removing it ;)

I find it does help with parking IMO.

I think the rear wheels turn 1 degree when the car is travelling over 80km/h.

'Kick out', as in I meant it can give that feeling as if the car was tail happy... But anyway.

But if you can get use to it, the car can be fun to drive, kinda keeps you on the edge sorta. Like you said its less predictable but I can see it would be a b!tch when circuit racing.

Im going for my 1st trackday in my R33 in a few weeks. Have had plenty of experience in my old ITR, but im a little nervous of the RWD Turbo ;)

Would you recommend removing it before the day? Or just giving it a go with it and see how i do?

Not 100% sure but i thought they turned in the same direction as the front wheels not the opposite. i remember seeing it on the Duke dvd!!! I could be wrong though.

Im going for my 1st trackday in my R33 in a few weeks. Have had plenty of experience in my old ITR, but im a little nervous of the RWD Turbo :closedeyes:

Would you recommend removing it before the day? Or just giving it a go with it and see how i do?

Good luck :)

It's safe to leave it there and have a go, but for track days the recommendation is to remove it, it makes the car a little less predictable especially when you lose the rear.

Its not expensive to remove but you should get a wheel alignment after removing it.

from the person who said it was a parking aid that is incorrect to my knowledge from what i have read and i even checked it on my car whilst parked and the rear wheels do no move. from memory its something like 40kms an hour it clicks in dont quote me on that.

its for high speed cornering and high speed cornering only.

i took mine out and put a lock bar in as mine was playing up from time to time and i noticed the difference that it made.

as far as cornering in the upper eshelon of speeds it makes a big difference in my opinion which i have noticed in my car.

so in my own conclusion it is a very good idea and is a big advantage if u are wanting to get out on the track and set times but for most average people who would rather be OUT ON A TRACK drifting it is a bit of a pain in the ass