SAU Community

Gtr Experts, Need Some Info

i know this is prolly a lil annoying but i like to know what im doin b4 i start... will i find the circlip just in the bottom of the casing or will it be cought up in something. also is there supposed to be a gasket on the housing or will it be purely sealent only and tolerence fitment. and finally what should i be refilling the transfer case with as this is the first time i have had to deal with the gtr system... thanks for your help mate.

Yes, the spring o ring is it, as for the diff oil I use Red Line Lightweight Shockproof with no issues, its not cheap though and there are other options out there, best to call a workshop on that one. No there is no gasket on the cover, just the sealant.

Ok, might be wrong here, but I thought the circlip lived in the diff. That's why the shaft has a chamfer on the end - so the circlip can slide up and over the shaft and pop down into the groove.

Yes thats right, the shaft slides in the diff and gets locked in place by that circlip which sits on the end of the shaft inside the diff

Yes, the spring o ring is it, as for the diff oil I use Red Line Lightweight Shockproof with no issues, its not cheap though and there are other options out there, best to call a workshop on that one. No there is no gasket on the cover, just the sealant.
Yes thats right, the shaft slides in the diff and gets locked in place by that circlip which sits on the end of the shaft inside the diff

hey mate a lil confused, these two statements kinda contradict each other... is it a circlip that is located in the spline inside the diff center (thats what old mate at the cv shop said today... or is it that spring o-ring that i found the remainds of last night (the guy at the CV shop said that it was more likly to be from the seal that shaft goes through.)

Had em out a couple o times. The spring clip compresses in the groove of the spline as the spline is taken out of the diff, it is supposed to stay in the grooved part of spline. Then it springs back out a little once out of the diff.

It would of come off the spline due to it being: worn, stretched out or bent or just by chance it got pushed off instead of compressing upon removal.

Anyone confused at my explanation :P I'm going to bed!

I just went through this myself... I just fully rebuilt both inner and outer

cv's and came across the same problem.

I'm glad someone found out for sure that the circlip is on the shaft.... I put mine back in without a circlip... I was told alot of people do with no problems. Its not like with the

cv bolted and locked in place a Circlip is going to make much of a difference right? ....

Also what is the capacity of the front diff? 1L? also where do you get your redline? cost?

I was going to go for the motul gear oil.

cheers

rob

• 1 year later...

mother fu**er lol

i took my sump and shaft to a "reputable" workshop

they said the circlip was supposed to stay on the shaft. so they pulled the diff apart and took the circlip out.

the sump is back on the engine and the engine is back in the car. i tried to insert the shaft into the diff but it wouldnt go in. the circlip stops the shaft from going in.

its now ridiculously obvious that the circlip is supposed to stay in the diff.

they charged me $80 to remove the circlip.

i have the receipt. but how do i go about getting the cir clip put back into my diff? as i said the sump + diff is back on the car. and the only way i see the cir clip going back in is if i take the engine out and pull the diff apart.

should the workshop fix my problem?

is it ok if i put the shaft in without the circlip?

thanks