SAU Community

Organised illegal drags

luckster

"... and this one time, at the drags"... or was that band camp?

The big difference with illegal drags like this and a couple of cars going for a run down their favourite piece of road is the "TOOL" factor.

The more people there are, the more likely someone is going to go too far! (or didnt know what they were doing in the 1st place)

I can personally see no problem with going for a spirited drive along your favourite piece of blacktop.

You dont need to be speeding to enjoy the drive.

I can perhaps understand 2 or 3 friends rocking up to give their cars a squirt, its the numbers in attendance that i see as being dangerous.

This coming from a bloke thats never lost a single point in 11 years of driving.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by [Ken]

OPH/Nasho has less light, corners (some sharp), blind spots everywhere, equally bad police presence, more crashes, narrow roads, downhills, foliage on the road, oncoming traffic.  

PLEASE tell me why this is totally different to street racing or even less dangerous and OK to do in your eyes.  

And no, I don't believe you travel 40 mins to drive along these roads at speed limit or within 15km/hour of the speed limit which is a relatively 'safe' speed.

well said Ken =)

guys, this is a really good discussion but can we please keep it civil and free from digs at people

If thats directed at me... then sorry.... but large groups of people, especially ppl not known to one another can cause headaches. Its not car/group specific:rolleyes:

Originally posted by fatz

i once drag raced on the street

one race got beat once  and that was it

kabab will tell you the story

all street racer r tools and i have been a tool that once

drive down the nasho is totally diffrent IMHO

pete

:D

*cough*attempted nasho record in the wet *cough*

I remember back in the days i used to go for a run with the boys the types of speeds we hit whilst drag racing was slower then the speeds we did on the old pac / nasho.

But remember kids its not the speed that kills its teh sudden stop.

Theres a time and a place for everything.... I personally do not see anything wrong with organised illegal off street drags in industrial areas. Its all part of the fun of having a quick car. Part of the fun of owning a skyline is driving it and getting some of the potential out of it! People that have quick cars and drive like granny's are a waste, buy a NA skyline or what ever else! All you have to do is chosse a good moment, where there are no nearby people and cops:p

Originally posted by Muz

Thinking of posting here but really can only visualize the wanker who lost his licence for 6 months on the G/Coast for blowing the speed limit by 70 k's (Caught at 170).  Why oh why do people do these stupid things.

wanker because he got caught?

you're a stronger man than i could ever be if you say you've never sped in your sports car.

Originally posted by kabab

I've been caught street racing over 100km/h over the limit. Thoes where the worst 15min of my life.

Managed to walk away with a very small fine after alot of "that was a stupid thing to do officer" " i am a idoit officer" etc etc..

Did you buy a lottery ticket straight after that ? :P

Originally posted by [Ken]

OPH/Nasho has less light, corners (some sharp), blind spots everywhere, equally bad police presence, more crashes, narrow roads, downhills, foliage on the road, oncoming traffic.  

PLEASE tell me why this is totally different to street racing or even less dangerous and OK to do in your eyes.  

And no, I don't believe you travel 40 mins to drive along these roads at speed limit or within 15km/hour of the speed limit which is a relatively 'safe' speed.

And no, I don't believe most of you haven't participated in either of these events.  

So apart from the *very* small percentage that own their cars only to speed on the track and otherwise just 'cruise', what the hell are you all talking about you hypocrites?  

Don't try to put the blame on them for giving you a bad name, most of you are just as guilty (as some of you have admitted). And Blitz, I like how you try to single out the GTR as if cops can tell the difference between a R and a S.

Ken - I was not "singling out" the GTR by intention - but simply stating a fact that with a picture of a skyline, be it a GTR or GTST in the paper accompanying an article such as this one, we can all expect more attention from the police. I hear where you are coming from but theres certainly no need to get to worked up over it.

There is some very good arguments and points made here..

1) We have all some something silly at one point or another. We drive very powerfull cars, these cars have high limits and we have all pushed them at one time or another.

2) Illigal street drags are dangerous, be it in a industrial area or not. I have seen footage of people lined up on the side of the road. What if a car spins into a crowd of people at high speed. I dont need to draw a picture at the carnage.

3) Nasho / OPH is not a race track. You have wildlife, other traffic and people to contend with. I know of a few people who have lost it on that road in some way or another and in each case it could have been alot worse.

I know that the drags are expensive, and I know that track days are fantastic. Since starting to go to track days I have lost any interest in nasho runs.

I have lost points for speeding, but I learned my lesson not from a lame speeding fine but from learning more about my car. How long it takes to brake for instance.

I think its up to us all to smother the "hoon" stereo type. I hate it when people find out I have a skyline and ask me if I street race. I am always being followed home by the police... all because I love skylines and own one.

If we act responsible then we can change the face of this stereotype.

Originally posted by franks

you bring a tear to my eye carlo, we all can make it a better place. for you and for me and the entire human race.

heal the world.

LOL

[ALI G]I have a dream of little black girls and little white girls...playing with each other...lets make it happen."

[/ALI G]