SAU Community

Intake Temp

After a year and a half of my power FC sititng around in my attic, i finally got soichi to install and tune it.

Questions

my intake air temp is getting to 40c-45c degrees , is that normal.

other power fc users, what is your water and air temp reading?

I have pods and a heat shield. I even have water sprayers on my intercooler. I live in auckland and on a hot day you can expect the outside temp to be 20ish at best.

The water temp gets to around 85c degrees max. I think this is normal and ok.

Specs.

R33 GTR

Mods :

Forged internals - unknown brand

HKS Split Dump Pipes

Trust Front Pipe

Custom bent 3" tripple muffler exhaust

Tomei Adjustable intake and exhaust cams

Blitz heat range 8 racing spark plug

Dual urathane Pod Filters

Trust 100mm thick intercooler

Trust 9 row oil cooler

Apexi Boost controller Kit

Apexi Power FC with Commander

Everything else is stock

Turbos, fuel pump, injectors etc..

Power went up from 183 awkw to 264awkw

kwsmall.jpg

boostsmall.jpg

My intake temp is roughly 45-50 (via the PFC/sensor etc), i cant remember but will watch tonight on the way home.

But then im running un-enclosed pods, with a suspected restriction in the cooler...

So thats to be expected really.

We need someone running an airbox to post up :banana:

I see reading of above 50 in my car. Quick spec is a 2.8 litre, twin gt rs's, GT block. I am still running the stock airbox. Could it be the location of the sensor being in a less than ideal place? Perhaps a close as possible to the intercooler outlet is a better place?

This may be helpfull. Should be easy enought o nut out. Temps were from a turbo rotor with an unshielded airbod. What you are seeing is pretty normal.

Results from dry road testing on the weekend.

Conditions: Ambient 15 deg. Drive down hwy at 100 k's, brake and accelerate from 2nd gear throught to 8000 rpm in 4th, cruise for about 30 sec and the accelerate from 3rd gear to 8000 rpm in 4th. Stop and idle for about 45 seconds shortly after.

Temps at 8000 rpm in 4th for first test:

air filter 48

after turbo 117

after I/C 45

throttle body 51

Temps at 8000 rpm in 4th for second test:

air filter 47.3

after turbo 122.6

after I/C 45.9

throttle body 53

Temp at air filter after stationary at idle for about 45sec was 84 deg! Thermo fans switched on and filling engine bay with hot air obviously.

post-5134-1223534756_thumb.jpg

Edited by djr81

thanks guys, epic stuff.

the temp sensor for the GTR is on the plenum so some of the heat from the block would sink into the plenum the longer the car is run.

Thats for clearing that up. Feel ok about my temps now. This morning i went for a long drive and it didn't go above 35, so I guess i should be happy :banana:

ok 35 degree's tonight up in the hills, ambient was around 8degree's...

Mind you the car was taking an absolute beating (didn't see under 5000rpm and water temp was up around 74-75 when its normally 69-70)... so it probably could have been as low as 30 for intake

In 'normal' weather with ambient around 20 degrees i sit around 45, and upto 55 in peak hour/stop start.

All thats with pods, NO CAI.

Cheers.