SAU Community

No Sound

PIOTREK

Hey guys i'm new to here ;) i got an r33T series 1, i got an issue with the sound system. everything works fine and then all of a sudden there is power to the head unit, amps(everything is run off amps) but no vocals (sound) coming out. since there is power to everyhthing it can't be a fuse. i was wondering if u guys have any ideas wat it could be. i mean i can put cd's in etc, play with the volume, arial goes up automatically if the head unit is on etc

The only thing of additional info i can give is that i took the subs out of the boot and my bro never put tape around the ends of the sub cables.

btw i spend 1hr trying to search the topic on here, i don't think its been covered, sorry if it has

Edited by P1OTR

amps could be over heating. If you go from having sound to no sound, id say that is a good chance. Or might not be grounded.

If you think it might be overheating, try it, play ur system until it does it, turn it off for 15 - 20min and than try again. If that is the problem than it is just poor air ventilation.

Where are the amps installed? boot or underneath the seat?

please explain..."all of a sudden there is power to the headunit"?

FIGJAM : If the amps are over heating that would probly be a tell that there is to low a load placed on them by improperly wired subs.

When they cut out check the status indication lights that should be on the amp somewhere,if indeed the amp(s) are going into protection start to eliminate all the possible causes of it.

turn the system off and unplug the RCA leads (be very carful as not to let them touch any metal while they are unpluged.

turn the system back on,if nothing goes into protect then you know its a problem with the RCA leads or the head unit.

if that doesnt solve the problem,turn the system off again,start disconnecting speakers from the amp(s) and turn the system back on after you have removed one speaker at a time. continue that process until you hopfully find the fault.once you have tracked it down to which speaker line in the problem ether find the break or short and fix it or remove and run new cable.

also check where the amp(s) are grounded,make sure the metal is clean of paint and any other contaminates,make sure the wire is firmly griped by the eyelet terminals.check the possitive leads that connect to the battery too and make sure they are securly fitted.

if none of that find the fault remove the RCA leads and speaker wires from the amp and then turn the system back on again. if the amp(s) still goes into protect them you have your self a faulty amp(s)

theres a quick run down of how to find and eliminate faults in a system but without knowing exactly whats doing what in your system i cant be more specific so can you please run through whats running off of what and how many amps there are etc etc.

Jack

Edited by Jack88

sorry guys, my english is crap lol the sound system doesn't produce any sound (vocals, bass) NOTHING. Head unit and amps turn on, u can play with the head unit like normal but it doesn't change anything, still no sound! everything worked normally then one day, something stuffed up and there is no sound since then.

What happened my bro took the subs out and didn't tape the ends of the cable. they touched something metal (i'm guessing) shorted and then stopped working! he just told me the main fuse blew (to the amps) so he changed it to cover up so i wouldn't crack it :rofl:

so yer i hope that is more clear, so basically right now there is power in the head unit and amps and NO SOUND in the speakers WAT SO EVER. i really doubt its an over heating issue.

can you tell me what gear (IE brands ) are in the car - also models of the amplifiers.

if there is a single 4 ch one in there running everyting then there is a good chance it was killed wihen the subs were pulled.

that said if there is a fuse on the battery - change it. tey can look ok and be blown.

normally if you short out the speaker wires on a head unit the headunit will cut sound to all of the speakers to protect its self,its possible something like that is happening to you.when this happends all light/displays stay on as per normal.

run through the methods i described earlier and answer chris's question and we should be able to get you sorted.

chris is also 100% on the fuse, especially if its an AGU style fuse you are using,quiet often the contact between the end cap and link inside the glass cylinder breaks and wont pass any decent amount of current to do anything with.i have seen it happen many many times.

where abouts are you located mate?

Jack

one thing that i can't understand is why the speakers aren't working? cause they are running to different amps that the subs. i'm leaning to the head unit amp stuffed up?

I forgot to mention i got a capacitor too! but thats reading fine.

There are no actual internal fuses in the amps, are there? cause i'm just gonna go and change all the external fuses.

Edited by P1OTR

ok done everything, changed all the fuses, disconnected the speakers, rca cables and done the checks (like above)etc.

None of the amps are in protection mode in the first place and don't go into it at all.

i even disconnected the battery so the head unit resets itself and still back to square one. nothing

I know this sounds stupid but check your settings on the deck? i had an alpine 9887 and there was a setting on it to turn on and off it's internal amplifier. There could be a setting on the deck thats been fiddled with and disabled your rca outputs? Sometimes the simple stuff like this is the cause good luck.

I know this sounds stupid but check your settings on the deck? i had an alpine 9887 and there was a setting on it to turn on and off it's internal amplifier. There could be a setting on the deck thats been fiddled with and disabled your rca outputs? Sometimes the simple stuff like this is the cause good luck.

by resetting the headunit (disconnecting the battery) shouldn't it do it automatically?

Check if the RCA's are even connected properly..

Grounding.

Look at your amp, some amps have a "fault" light. When running good, the green one is lit. When screwed Red.

Take it to an Audio / Visual store man, you dont want to fry all your electricals over something as small as a sound system.

MRXTCZ

yes some amps have internal fuses,very few tho.one last thing to try to test the amps,if you have an MP3 player and a 3.5mm head phone jack to 2 RCA's you can plug it into your amp and test with that,make sure the gains are down all the way first!

if you get sound then that would indicate a problem with ether the RCA's or head unit.if you dont then its the amps that are at fault.

out of all the things i have listed to do that will generally find the problem in 99% of systems so if they dont help you identify what the problem is then there isnt really much for i can do with out personally seeing the system or without knowing more information about it.

Jack

yes some amps have internal fuses,very few tho.one last thing to try to test the amps,if you have an MP3 player and a 3.5mm head phone jack to 2 RCA's you can plug it into your amp and test with that,make sure the gains are down all the way first!

if you get sound then that would indicate a problem with ether the RCA's or head unit.if you dont then its the amps that are at fault.

out of all the things i have listed to do that will generally find the problem in 99% of systems so if they dont help you identify what the problem is then there isnt really much for i can do with out personally seeing the system or without knowing more information about it.

Jack

thanks anyway, i reckon i'm gonna hook up the amps to my mates car and see

if it is indeed the fuse on the RCA lines then you dont have much chance of getting it fixed over the weekend,the fuse itself is very small and is not a user repairable part.the head unit will need to be sent back to the manifacturer to be repaired/replaced which will take a few weeks.

ok now i'm completely lost, i wanted to hook up my mates system to my head unit (his amp via rca cables into my car)

I pulled it apart to realise that only my subs are hooked up via rca cables when the other amp (running speakers) isn't. the speakers worked before the this whole issue.

any idea wats up with that???? like i heard about the high/ low frequency bs but why would someone not hook up the rca cables to???

:ninja: so confused now it not even funny, any help will be grate

• 2 weeks later...