SAU Community

Hicas

My HICAS light comes on when i go past 100 killometers like on the freeway for example then when i switch my car off then back on again it is off, anyone got any ideas? my car still runs exactly the same when the light comes on its a bit of a mystery and i dont want to pay to get it looked at if its nothing...

My car does the same thing, HICAS light comes on after a few minute of driving ~100km/h.

Do you have after market steering wheel? From what I have read before on here, If you do, then the sensor on the steering wheel part has stuffed up or not connected properly when the after market wheel is installed.

Either way, its probably the sensor(s).

im with u guys after market steering wheel my old r33 done it and so does my new one it only come on when i was sitting on about 80ks they both have after market steering wheels

Interesting, I had the same problems with a stock steering wheel, but this was *after* the aftermarket steering wheel was removed.

Anyway, you only save weight on the R32's, not the R33's, lockbar is an option (and removing the globe). See the tutorials section if you decide to remove it rather than try to fix it.

when i took mine out i was quite surprised at how heavy it was...

n.b. do it on a hoist if poss... it was a bloody annoying thing to do from under the car!

when i still had hicas i drove to sydney and after 4+ hours of 100kph driving it then came on....

now its just permanently on and i done even notice it

you are all getting the problem for the same reason - the steering wheel is not on straight. As far as HICAS is concerned you have been driving in a circle for the last 5 minutes so it throws an error. You notice it on the freeway or at higher speeds because you are driving in a straight line for minutes at a time

you need to pull the steering wheel back off and put it on straight (the hicas sender is in the boss kit). if the car now turns with the wheel on straight, you need a wheel alignment (a previous alignment may have adjusted for the previously crooked wheel)

^^

While you got the steering wheel off, clean the steering sensor too. Mark it with a permanet marker so you know the original position and clean it with WD40, wipe down and hose off with compressed air to get rid of all the dust.

But before that

Check your HICAS fluid and top it up.

If it still comes on after topping it up, do a wheel alignment.

If it still comes on, get your mechanic to run a diagnostics check on your car to try and trace any faults.

Issolate the fault and fix it from there.

^^

While you got the steering wheel off, clean the steering sensor too. Mark it with a permanet marker so you know the original position and clean it with WD40, wipe down and hose off with compressed air to get rid of all the dust.

But before that

Check your HICAS fluid and top it up.

If it still comes on after topping it up, do a wheel alignment.

If it still comes on, get your mechanic to run a diagnostics check on your car to try and trace any faults.

Issolate the fault and fix it from there.

He has an R33, their HICAS is electronic not hydraulic (there is also no seperate "HICAS fluid" to top up in R32's, it runs off the power steering circuit).

i have only had my car for about 6 weeks, as far as i can tell the steering wheel is your standard skyline wheel the guy i brought it off had every intention to keep the car as stock as possible so i think it is the origional wheen but i'll take it off this arvo and scope it all out...

who would remove it tho? i dont live anywhere near the city so there are no real experienced people when it comes to imported cars, my local nissan dealer knows jack shit about skylines because its more of a 4x4 dealerwould a local mechanic know about HICAS and how to correctly remove it?

• 1 month later...

This happens to me, but ONLY when i drive at 110 not 100 and only after driving on the highway for over an hour (I drive half an hour on highway to get between my home and town every day.)

I've got a HICAS lockout bar and stock steering wheel, but the car does need a wheel alignment, so possibly that could be the cause.