SAU Community

Petrol Smell In The Cabin

hey guys,

i have an r33 non-turbo and every now and then i get a strong smell of petrol in the cabin. im just wondering if anyone would know where it would be comming from and how i could fix it?

cheers.

does it happen to be when the engines cold? thats when the most fuel is being pumped into the engine and i sometimes get that smell. its normal.

but if its just when your driving then you may have an exhaust leak.

hey guys,

i have an r33 non-turbo and every now and then i get a strong smell of petrol in the cabin. im just wondering if anyone would know where it would be comming from and how i could fix it?

cheers.

have u inspected all the hoses n pipes 4 leaks in the car front 2 back???

also inspect the fuel filler neck. during compliance they put in a new fuel filler insert to accomodate the australian fuel nozzles, sometimes they don't seal it properly and you will get fuel leaking when you turn left. mine used to do this when i first got it. pulled out the insert, cleaned up all the old sealant and put some Selley's "knead it" around the insert and pressed it back in. hasn't leaked since.

yeah it is when the engines cold, not too sure if any new work has been done i only brought the car about 3 weeks ago. i is due for a 200k service if that would effect it. haven't had time to have a go at fixing it. hopefuly one of you guys is right, cheers for the feed back. skyline australia is so much easyer to get info from rather then ford forams which i used to uce because i had an el.

Edited by PandaR33

Dude.. at 200,000 km. in Australias Hot conditions I got $100 that sais is the hoses in the boot.

Continue to follow the lines through th chassis too. May need replaceing and as Matt said, canister hoses. And watch your fuel consumtion bottom out :P

Edited by GTS4WD

200k .. =\ theres your reasoning..

Hoses for sure. Its gonna' be annoying following them through the whole cabin, but your gonna' have to do it.

Also check seals and all.

I was dreading my 100k service.. but 200 seems worse now lol.

MRXTCZ

also inspect the fuel filler neck. during compliance they put in a new fuel filler insert to accomodate the australian fuel nozzles, sometimes they don't seal it properly and you will get fuel leaking when you turn left. mine used to do this when i first got it. pulled out the insert, cleaned up all the old sealant and put some Selley's "knead it" around the insert and pressed it back in. hasn't leaked since.

damn this is the problem im having too lol

i used some special hard glue shiet and it works for awhile then ends up popping off.

i tried metal epoxy b4 and that shiet is strong as.

but ill try this knead it sealant next time round if it pops off again.

if i dont wash the car for a week, i can see petrol splash marks from the petrol cap to the rear bar lol

• 2 weeks later...

well my brother has the same problem in his commodore

we took it to a mechanic and he said its the injector seels

i no there 2 different cars but they might have the same reasons

any answers pm me

i hate the smell of petrol in the car it gives me a headache, so i no what your going through

:(