SAU Community

Urgent!, Need Oxygen Sensor R33

WLD747

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A followup to let you know I spoke to the auto electrician and he said that a bosch sensor with a Nissan plug on it probably does exist, but its likely it won't be as cheap as the EL one just because of the volume Ford ones made in.

The EL one is installed in my R33 and running like a champ. The stumbling and flat spots I was getting at part throttle after a cold sart is gone. The light misfire (pops) at certain points when lifting off the throttle at 2-4k rpm is gone. And I've still got better fuel economy to look forward to.

Heres an interesting link, specifically this part about our O2 sensors: http://www.gt-skyline.net/maintenance/oxyg...gen_sensor.html . The important part is that Nissan recommends changing it at 40k km intervals. Every mechanic I've been to has said my O2 sensor was fine on basis of

• 1) the ecu diagnostic didn't complain.
  • 2) a voltmeter responds when hooked up.

Both ways of testing are incorrect! My old O2 sensor was still operating when I pulled it out, but it's response time was so slow it was as good as dead. It goes without saying that buying a second hand O2 sensor is not a good idea.

4door_sleeper, doesn't look like it has made any difference :D

Yes i had to cut wires. Chop both plugs off and then wire them up. Unfortunately the sensor i bought had different coloured wires to my sensor. Luckily i had a friend good with electronics and the GTR Workshop manual, so we were able to work it out. (I think)

I have replaced AFM, O2 sensor, done full service (apart from spark plugs) and ran 2 injector cleaners through it. Im still experincing poor fuel economy.

R32 GTST auto, pod, 11 psi and i get ~350km to a tank.

Hey GRADENKO,

I have looked at an R31 RB30 sensor.

They have the same amount of wires, (though only two wires are the same colour from memory), & the EXACT same plug, which makes things a lot easier to connect instead of cutting and re-joining wires. As for the threads, I will compare both tomorrow. If its the same as the EF sensor, then I cant see why it wont go in, unless somethings drastically different.

int21h, im getting the exact amount of klms from my tank also. rb20det silvia. I replaced the o2 sensor and it was great for a couple of weeks, now it has gone back to 350 again. Not sure why. I've got an rb25 turbs and im runnign 10psi.

When I spoke to NGK they told me this could happen as the o2 sensor isn't designed for the application.

How about a VLT o2 sensor? Is it a different part number to the VL NA sensor? If there different then we know that the o2 sensors for turbo need to be different due to the extra heat and some times fuel that dumps past them?!?

Heat isn't a factor. A lean running N/A engine will actually be hotter than your average, rich turbo engine. Don't forget that the turbo works off heat and will absorb up to 100degC from exhaust gas running through it. Our common zirconia oxygen sensors have an operating temp of 350-900degC (corresponding with the average working range of an engine), and I'm sure they're built to last much higher temps.

AFAIK, the only things that kill an O2 sensor are age and leaded fuel. Running rich on (premium) unleaded shouldn't affect its life.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally got to check the sensors, with the following outcomes;

1) VL Turbo & NA motors run exact same oxy sensor (same part number and same as 3.0lt Skyline.)

2) The threads between Skyline & EA-EF oxy sensors different, with skyline type being bout half the size as Ford type.

3) Ford type, even though bigger than Skyline type, is still smaller than the one fitted (in my car at least). I have a custom dump pipe off the turbo.

So it sems back to the drawing board for me @ least!

Guys who have fitted Ford sensor, do you still have the factory dump pipe/exhaust, or did you custom fit it?

Hope it helps.