SAU Community

Transmission Problem

Kiwi25X

Hey guys

I've just got a 1996 25X (RB25DET RWD non-turbo) with no mods and it's awesome! It's been running like a dream, clean changes no shudder and lots of low range pulling power. I am just a little worried about a transmission fault

Twice now I've been driving along and the "check tranmission" light comes on. The engine stalls and the power steering siezes up. Both times I'd just been using 2nd gear to engine brake down a windey hill. I guess it might be overheating but I've checked the transmission fluid and it's clean and full.

I really don't want to hemmorhage money on a AT fault when all I really want is a clutch and a proper gearbox!! But until I am rich enough to rip the bloody thing out does anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

should be very similar, do you have a switch that says 'snow' or similar. Guess you could give it a try with the switch in one postion, then try the next position.

I've got a series 1, is the diagnosis programme different from s2? For starters there isn't an "auto" mode on my AT switch

Cool done that. After the initial long flash it does ten short flashes and then repeats, so I am guessing a S1 2.5 gearbox is more similar to an S2 RB20DE box. But that leaves me where I started - no diagnosed faults. I double checked the radiator is full and working well so maybe the stall is just something I will have to live with until I get rid of the auto altogether.

Cheers for the help :P

reading your first thread again, sounds more like an engine problem. Usually when you get an A/T fault the A/T light will flash, not just come on, and record a fault in its log.

the next step would be to try the ECU diagnostic, there's a few threads on how to do this, basically find your consult port and jumper 2 specific pins together for a few seconds after turing on ignition, then count the flashes. let me know if you cant find the info.

reading your first thread again, sounds more like an engine problem. Usually when you get an A/T fault the A/T light will flash, not just come on, and record a fault in its log.

the next step would be to try the ECU diagnostic, there's a few threads on how to do this, basically find your consult port and jumper 2 specific pins together for a few seconds after turing on ignition, then count the flashes. let me know if you cant find the info.

yes, you can use the paper clip method, bottom left 2, marked in red.

Maybe your harness is unclipped and hidden somewhere around the fuse box.

Attached thumbnail(s) img-resized.png Reduced 93% http://post-a137279-P1020246.JPG' target="_blank"> 1920 x 1080 (756.52K)

Is this what I'm looking for? Which 2 pins do I bridge and which light will flash? Are these the right codes (below from the same thread) and am I expecting a big flash followed by the code or does it launch straight in?

ECU Diagnostic Codes

11 Crankshaft position sensor

12 MAF sensor circuit (air flow meter)

13 Coolant temperature circuit

14 Vehicle speed sensor circuit

21 Ignition circuit

31 ECU (ouch!)

34 Knock sensor

43 Throttle position circuit

45 Injector leak

51 Ignition circuit

54 Auto signal to ECU

55 All OK

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=3569100

it will just flash the codes straight up, and keep repeating them

Sweet I did the paperclip thing and it blinked 5 long 5 short. 55=all ok?

Looks like it will remain a mystery. Having said that it hasn't stalled once since I've started messing with it so maybe I should just roll with it.

It's really good to know all this stuff though for future reference. You're a legend chook cheers

you never know, maybe the ecu's are just like pc's, they need to be reset / rebooted (which happens when codes are extracted) every know and then.

Wouldnt hurt also to unplug and replug the ECU and the A/T ECU to eliminate a bad electrical connection there.

you never know, maybe the ecu's are just like pc's, they need to be reset / rebooted (which happens when codes are extracted) every know and then.

Wouldnt hurt also to unplug and replug the ECU and the A/T ECU to eliminate a bad electrical connection there.

I take it the plugs are in the same place behind the coin tray? Where on this pic?

post-58181-1228209983_thumb.jpg

Is the ECU the black box above the multicoloured fuse thingey?