SAU Community

Road Trip In My Stag

Silhouette31

Mate, done this trip afew times. look out for animals ie, camals, cattle, wedgetail eagles and buffalo as you get up past tennant creek. make sure you stop in at mataranka springs bout 100k this side of kathrine and go to the thermal pool this side of town. there are some awsome places up there and some wild pubs and clubs in darwin :D . have fun

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought my car from queensland, the missus and i flew up and drove back over the weekend - most of australia i'd seen (prior to that i'd only been to melbourne lol). stags are awesome for road trips, very comfortable (even with coilovers) and sit on the road very nicely. overtaking is no issue either which is always a bonus.

my only suggestion is keep a KEEN eye on the road, wild life will often appear out of no where and last thing you want to do is hit it cos they you'll make a mess of them and they'll make one hell of a mess of your car at 100km/hr+

have fun though!

That makes three of us, although it sounds like mine will be the shortest:

Make that 4 of us: although we'll be driving all over the 'States in my mate's SL500 for 3 weeks: can't wait: white Christmas, then New Year's in Vegas!

I did this trip recently in our motorhome. It is a great trip, the road is pretty smooth and wide so dont move off the road when the road trains come past just stay in your lane as there is plenty of room. If you move over into the dirt all you do is make it harder for them to see. When approaching Wedgetail eagles which are on the edge of the road slow down as they are very slow to get up off the road. At one stage in the motorhome we had two wedgies, wings fully spread only meters in front of our windsreen. A magnificent sight. The number of times we saw roadkill and then a dead wedgie 20 meters up the road because they couldnt get out of the way was very sad.

Carry a CB radio as mobile phones are useless except in the towns. The little hand held ones will suffice. It can be a source of entertainment listening to the truckies. It is also a good way to tell the truckies you are about to pass.

I dont want this to sound racist but do not stop for the indigenous people who "appear" to have broken down. If you are concernd about them report it at the next roadhouse.

Do not stop at a small town called Elliot. You will understand why when you drive through it

Take you time to visit some of the little pubs and roadhouses they can be amusing. It is not everday you can do a trip like this so take the time to enjoy it.

Cheers Craig

Edited by oldie

• 4 weeks later...

Got home 5am this morning. Cars got a few scars and its going to take me weeks to clean. Interior looks as nice as it would after having 2 people living out of it for 2 weeks. Belted 1 wallaby and had a few close calls on the way home, ABS kicked in a few times.

But I got pics! :D

After hitting the wallaby. Popped the front bar out, scratched it a bit, needs a respray.

IMGP2066.jpg

IMGP2870.jpg

IMGP2855.jpg

and the aftermath this morning after driving 14 hours straight, through the night.

IMGP2900.jpg

CAR BRA !!!!!

bloody wild life.

how was the trip ? the car hold up nice ?

great shots man

notice the UHF arial. have you got it located above your right knee ? im thinking putting mine there. just the arial im having touble finding a nice spot for it

nah UHF we just sat on the passenger floor. made a mount for the aerial and bolted it to a standard guard mount bolt, ran wire in through the door seal.

car went fine, not a problem. had aircon on pretty much the entire trip, did an oil change in darwin before we came back.

fuel economy didnt improve on the open road like i thought it would. averaged 13.3L / 100k's.

I didnt think they'd make a car bra for a stagea?

Edited by Silhouette31

custom.

some dude on here with a r33 got on, got it made up in coburg or camblefield Victoria.

my miss's is moving to warrnamboll in 4weeks, need to get one for regular trips up. think its between 500-600bucks and takes 30mins to map one out then 2weeks to make it.

you's is the same bar as mine, i'll let ya know how i go when i get one made up, wont be for atleast for few months. money drought

custom.

some dude on here with a r33 got on, got it made up in coburg or camblefield Victoria.

my miss's is moving to warrnamboll in 4weeks, need to get one for regular trips up. think its between 500-600bucks and takes 30mins to map one out then 2weeks to make it.

you's is the same bar as mine, i'll let ya know how i go when i get one made up, wont be for atleast for few months. money drought

Correct again Saint Agea.

I enquired about a CarBra. They hadn't heard of my Stagea so a custom must be made up.

Drive in, get measured, in a week or so you go back & hand over $550 and they give you the bra.

Glad to hear you survived the encounter with the roo...

You'll be cleaning the bugs out of the air-con condenser for months to come (we were after our Stag road-trip to the Goulburn Z nationals in '05)

Edited by BensDR30