SAU Community

Taking A Turbo Off For P Plates

ZFA57

dont see y not, but best call the RTA and get the RIGHT answer.

also, y would u go through the trouble mate? car wil go like a pig. best save ur money, buy a N/A car for now, and worry bout getting a turbo car once ur off ur P's

its not for me, my car is in my avatar. Its for a friend and she has her mind set on a skyline the problem is there isnt many decent non turbo 34's on the market. i thought it may be easier to buy a turboed one, then take it off coz you could replace it once on opens.

Its illegal in Vic

Its illegal in NSW

So for now ill guess QLD would be the same. The reason being the car is build plated as a turbo. Therefore even if the turbo is taken off, it doesnt matter.

You'd need to go through the entire rubbish of engineering, papers to confirm the change and it meets ADR's etc (as emissions would change)

But, that all depends on QLD law, no two states are the same

its not for me, my car is in my avatar. Its for a friend and she has her mind set on a skyline the problem is there isnt many decent non turbo 34's on the market. i thought it may be easier to buy a turboed one, then take it off coz you could replace it once on opens.

MAte pretty sure there is a few places in QLD that supply them. Just take a look at Import shops around the place... Mind you be prepared to pay top dollar as Dealers realise kids still want imports but cant have turbos cause of laws so you will be paying extra for it =]

+1 agreed on all the above.. i do believe it's illegal but check qld transport.. and would be slower than an N/A for the few yrs she drives it.. are GT4's p plate legal?

But what do you mean there is no decent non-turbo's around? they will be in pretty good nick.. havent been thrashed etc..

1. Illegal in QLD because as said by R31Nismoid its still a turbo'd car on the build plate. If you got everything engineered and mod plated then it would be legal, however think of the costs to do that.

2. The costs involved in changing over the exhaust manifold, turbo and dump pipe for extractors and an exhaust, then removing the intercooler, pipework, bov, lines etc to the non turbo stuff, let alone the ECU etc would cost a decent amount unless you got all the stuff for cheap however the engine is still a low compression engine so would run like crap.

3. A turbo'd skyline with the turbo removed would be slower then a non turbo skyline due the the low compression so where's the point in that?

Edited by PM-R33

Its illegal in Vic

Its illegal in NSW

So for now ill guess QLD would be the same. The reason being the car is build plated as a turbo. Therefore even if the turbo is taken off, it doesnt matter.

You'd need to go through the entire rubbish of engineering, papers to confirm the change and it meets ADR's etc (as emissions would change)

But, that all depends on QLD law, no two states are the same

vicroads told me it was fine... that was when i had my heart set on an R32

after getting my L's, i dont care what i drive for my P's LOL