SAU Community

Need Advice On Tyre Selection Folks!

HOSTILE

Oh, I should've mentioned Ive got Toyo T1Rs on the SP23, and while its a great tyre, the cost was't exactly budget minded! :/ BUT they are a great tyre also - I just believe the Federals will do the same job for a better price.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey martin

i recently slapped the Bridgestone Potenza RE - 001's

found out that they are freaking awesome

so i highly recommend then....also i have a mate who can get some good prices if you need some quotes to go by mate

cheers

krishy

Thanks for all your input guys, rang Jack Bakers and got some prices today...

Think the Adrenalines are going to be a little dear for me, but ventus and Toyo T1R is sorta what I am looking at...

Reckon I will see how generous santa is before making the call.... or rather how much he costs me!!

Thanks.

your car doesnt go fast enough to break traction

though krishy :P

*thinks about the time krishy let me drive out of firle shopping centre* lol

ohh yes it definately doesnt go fast at all....

its a turbo making power equivilent to a NA....

and my car sits stock height with no modifications done to it wat so ever

Thanks for all your input guys, rang Jack Bakers and got some prices today...

Think the Adrenalines are going to be a little dear for me, but ventus and Toyo T1R is sorta what I am looking at...

Reckon I will see how generous santa is before making the call.... or rather how much he costs me!!

Thanks.

srsly, the toyos are the shiznit, cant rate them highly enough

-D

Hey Martin, Ive got Bridgestones in the same size you want on my car, dont buy those mate !!..lol they wear out to fast and after they get a bit worn they get slick as hell, plus cost to much to start with and make a ton of noise on the road.

and no I dont do burn outs with mine they cost to much to fry them for stupid shit..lol

I'm not buy Bridgestones again thats for sure.!!

Pirelli or goodyear, BFG or michilen , yokohama either they wear to fast , grip is good but to pricey

city discount in reynella on junk food corner is a lot cheaper then the city store for some silly reason?and haggling saved a lot of money on my other cars tires ?

new owner is a lot better now

prob get Federals next time or one of the made in china brands, the big names dont last any longer most of the time anyway

and Federal uses the same molds/compounds as the big companies

I've been running the toyo T1R's for over 18 months now. Superb tyre, and not too expensive... they're probably one of the best I've driven in wet conditions with.... cant compare them to any other tyre but I've been told the Goodyear Eagle F1's are pretty damn good and I might give them a go when I need new rubbers

-D

I used to run the Goodyear Eagle F1's on one of my other cars and i couldn't say enough about them, mass levels of grip and no tyre noise!! Only used on weekend car so can't really comment on tyre wear!

Lol i dont like there modbury store and wont refer people on i tell them go see Darrel at Adelaide Radial Tyres 2 store's now

with CDT must be a pre-requirement 'store manager required only assholes need apply'

City Discount? Ouch dude! I wouldn't leave my GTR with them!! Or infact... any car!! I've had nothing but bad experiences with both their Reynella store and Marion store.

Its under new ownership now the old owners were very shonky at reynella and I havent taken my skyline there just my other car and was treated good and cheap tires after calling everyone in the south end of town they ended up cheapest for that car ? (there a franchise so each one has diff owners,? ) but it would be good to find a place for tires cheap with good service, mine will need some in a few months,

My farking bridgestones wont last past 20k on fairly normal driving at the rate its going?

oh and its well worth putting nitrogen in the tires, I did on my other skyline and the tires are still good after a zillion miles on it.. only a R31 with slighty larger tires on it but unreal how much better the tires last with it ? too late to bother on my R34.. never seemed to remember to stop in to do it..lol

for the record I wont leave my car with anyone!!!! even If I sorta trust them, always stay in view of my car is a good motto ?

last time I strayed out of sight from it the clutch came back in a softer spot like they used if for a clutch slipping burn out around the block, and the time before that the side of it got hit and they denied it. its not a tire shop, but a import shop in town, (no names but its a big one) if it wasn't under warranty it would never see a shop except for tires/wheel alignment ever again. DONT TRUST ANYBODY !!! its just to tempting for them and after working in places like that I could tell you horror stories ..lol

So true. I only trust my GTR with a small amount of places. Once, I had to urgently get a wheel alignment and had to take it down to some random tyre shop down South. I basically sat there and watched them when they took it out for a drive to test the alignment because there was a young dude driving it!!

Haha and I think he got the message, when he saw a 6ft 4 guy with his arms crossed staring at him as he slowly exited the driveway!

But, this place will remain unnamed, as one of the other guys actually spun the wheels (only slightly, but on purpose) on a customers Commodore as he left the driveway to test the wheel alignment!! Not cool!!

I have Nexens on my car, they are good for something cheap < Midrange... bang for buck tyres. They perform well from my experience.

I would deffinatly recommend talking to Jarred @ Tyre Power ST Agnes / Tolley RD... deffinatly knows his stuff..... setup my DR's handling to perfection.

If you can get away with driving on semi slicks I would get the Bridgestone RE55s they are the best but have a price tag to match

The Yokohama A048s and Toyo R888s are good too and will last you a few days.

If you want a street looking tyre but have smei slick potential go the Falken 615s

I used these recently to do a 3 day event which had motorkhana,hillclimbs,drags and circuit lap dashes and was driving to and from evenst covered 1000km over the 3 days and for an allrounder tyre was amazed with them and there grip :blush: and they dont brake the bank either.

I have gone off the Fedrals 595s I hate them in the wet and the Hankooks I find are way to noisy

I know it might sound silly but you might get a better price for some tyres interstate and can get them ship to SA...I know there is a good place in Vic that sells Bridgestones and a good place in Sydney that sells the Toyos

Hey Martin,

I have been doing a fair bit of research on tyres lately as I'll need some as soon as I get my GTR back... if I ever do! :blush:

I've decided to get the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. These are the latest versions of the F1s and have only been in Aust for a short time but have been OS for a few years now. I know they were used in the Motor comparison but the car they used was a 197 Cliosport which is a lot lighter and a lot less powerful than our GTRs and they still performed well. I think/hope the F1 Asymmetric will be more suitable for our cars.

A lot of my research has come from here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ and here: http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews.asp

As for pricing they are expensive. Asking for 265/35/18 I called Tyrepower in town (8410 1312) and was quoted $707 per tyre. The Goodyear Autocare at Hampstead Gardens (8261 2811) quoted me $640 each. Both these prices included fitting and balancing but not a wheel alignment.

Taleb Tyres (Ali) - a business trader on SAU - quoted me $580 for the 265/35/18 and interestingly $505 for 275/35/18. These do include delivery to my door but not fitting and balancing nor wheel alignment.

I also emailed http://www.tirerack.com/ in the US and was quoted USD$1241.19 for 4x 265/35/18 delivered. At an exchange rate of 0.68 this works out to AUD$1826 or $456.50 each. BUT may (should) incur Australian duty which would put the price up another 10% (I believe) to AUD$2008 or $502 each. Naturally the exchange rate will vary and this may push the prices up again.

I still have to suss out if I can get the tyres from the USA without the extra taxes.

As you can see there is a fair bit of difference in pricing and that was only from 4 sources that I tried. Most likely I am going to go with Taleb Tyres (Ali) and order the 275/35/18 as my rims are 18x10 and these will fit easily. I'm just waiting on the official 'OK' from my insurance company that they will replace two of my BBS LM rims as they cost $2040 each!

I hope this helped a little. It may be above your price range but I have provide some links that people may find useful.

As I side note I recently had the Bridgestone Adrenalins fitted to the front of my Peugeot 205 GTI and I have been very impressed with them so far. I did this before the Motor test came out and chose them based on a fair bit of research. I just have doubts as to how well they will perform on a heavier car putting 350kW to the ground but have no way of knowing unless someone else buys them and we can do some testing...

Edited by writeoff

^^ get the yanks to separate the order you pay customs on quantities over $1000

I realise this but combined shipping prices increase when separating the orders and the AUD$1000 customs threshold includes the shipping amount. I'm yet to hear back from tirerack for separate quotes for pairs of tyres.

Edited by writeoff

Hey Martin,

I also emailed http://www.tirerack.com/ in the US and was quoted USD$1241.19 for 4x 265/35/18 delivered. At an exchange rate of 0.68 this works out to AUD$1826 or $456.50 each. BUT may (should) incur Australian duty which would put the price up another 10% (I believe) to AUD$2008 or $502 each. Naturally the exchange rate will vary and this may push the prices up again.

this may be a stupid question but isn't it illegal to run "imported tires on your car " I thought I read somewhere you have to have the Australian compliance tires upon importing the car from japan, I was told this as well when I got my ride ? I looked at mine close and being from the states they look the same, including the normal markings but I think there is a stamp code for the country of purchase and date embossed on them? if you get pulled into regency I bet they would pick up on it? been told my supra spare will need to be replaced for this reason it still has the jap markings on it l to get rego'd here from QLD since the car was imported before new rules it still had the old spare from japan ?

does anyone know if thats true or not ?

ps. Tirerack is nowhere near the cheapest place in the states for tires, the problem is finding one of the others who ship to OZ from the WEST COAST of USA, and check the shipping times some could take a REALLY LONG TIME to come over. months????? if they come on a ship expect months.

prob a better bet to get tires from interstate over ?