SAU Community

If You Could... Porsche Or Gtr

N/A®

Hi all, my first post here!

Well 2 cars I really love. I've always liked and greatly respected R32/R33 and R34 GT-R, but I would always have a Porsche 911 over these, however the R35 GT-R has changed all that, IMO a genuine exotic, built and engineered to Porsche standards..and if not bloody close. I have had time to crawl around the silver R35 GT-R bought in by Nissan Australia and the quality, fit, finish is really something else. I also feel it is the first car to challenge a Porsche in the looks dept, especially that shark like profile and what I think are one of the best std alloy wheels available. The interior is a revelation for a Nissan too, a real class act and a match for most Porsches. As a long time Europhile i'd even say the R35 is the first GT-R you could park in front of a posh hotel... as well as tear up the race track.

The question here is, if I could. Well if I could spend $150K there is nothing to touch a GT-R, a Boxster is lovely but not in the same ball park. A 911 Turbo is $360K PLUS options Plus on roads, that's close to $400K all up and the GT2 will leave you little change out of $500K....and the thing is at best they are no quicker than the GT-R but more importantly (and I'll know this will sound lame) the Gt-R is soo much easier to drive fast than any 911, esp GT2/GT3 and as a family man with 2 young kids, comfy back seats for the kids, a boot for a few bags or golf clubs and a dual clutch gear box that is ruthlessly efficient at going quick and easy enough for my wife to drive can't be ignored. Sure a Gt3 or Gt2 oozes sex appeal and I absolutely LOVE them, but they are 2 seaters, loud and impractical and way more expensive. For the price of those I'd have a GT-R and a property or even a GT-R and a 3.6 Carrera, so GT-R for me, black with the dark alloys (Premium model)......oh and no crappy looking aftermarket spoilers, body kits or decals, it's perfect as it is!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Because of the way the car is configured, we can dyno this 997 as awd or rwd. It's too stressful to dyno a 997 Turbo on a Dynojet (our in-house dyno) as AWD as it puts too much stress on the front differential clutch mechanism. The car is run in AWD trim, not RWD. RWD was done only for dyno testing."

This is the exact thing I looked at...GTR, Porsche or Aston Martin.....For Sex appeal the Aston Martin was it, for a trackable car that could be used as an every day driver and that was value for money...the GTR.

When you look at money for return the GTR is really the only choice.

All the people that are saying Porsche is better......as a car when money is not any part of the equation....then I would say yes....however dollar for dollar if you choose Porsche over the GTR...then there is a definate reason why this thread will be the closest you actually get to making that decision.

With money no object I'd go a GT3RS or GT2 over a GTR. I enjoy driving and learning what the car can teach me about the way it handles under different conditions, the 911s have this sort of feedback in spades. I haven't driven an R35 so I'm not sure whether it could match a 911 in this regard, but I drove a few of the 996 series 911s and they really are a great drive, you have to treat them with a bit of respect or you can end up in the scenery.

I get the impression from most reviews of the R35 that it turns even the most lame steerers into driving gods, this not a criticism, but it's not the challenge or the sports car experience I'm looking for.

I'd reckon the Porsche would be harder to drive at 9/10 10ths than the GTR would be. A generalisation it may be, but if you can drive a 911 at its limits, you could probably get the best out of most cars.

It would be interesting to see what Jim Richards could do with an R35, he might end up winning Targa Tassie again.

With money no object I'd go a GT3RS or GT2 over a GTR. I enjoy driving and learning what the car can teach me about the way it handles under different conditions, the 911s have this sort of feedback in spades. I haven't driven an R35 so I'm not sure whether it could match a 911 in this regard, but I drove a few of the 996 series 911s and they really are a great drive, you have to treat them with a bit of respect or you can end up in the scenery.

I get the impression from most reviews of the R35 that it turns even the most lame steerers into driving gods, this not a criticism, but it's not the challenge or the sports car experience I'm looking for.

I'd reckon the Porsche would be harder to drive at 9/10 10ths than the GTR would be. A generalisation it may be, but if you can drive a 911 at its limits, you could probably get the best out of most cars.

It would be interesting to see what Jim Richards could do with an R35, he might end up winning Targa Tassie again.

I agree.

GTR is the best bang for your bucks hands down, but if money no issue...I would pick GT2 any day. I haven't driven R35 nor GT2 but I have driven R34 and Carerra. There's something about 911 that makes it very special, so pure, even though its not as fast as GTR

Wasn't aware we had so many auto lovers - I mean sorry clutchless manuals!!!

I can see it now "Wow this car feels great just put it in D and it will do the rest"

Please - the GTR is nothing like the old ones i.e. group A race cars in street trim - I get what they were trying to do with the R35 and they succeded, however...

I would be taking a 996 GT2 - If its good enough for Jim Richards its good enough for me!

What kind of skyline forum is this lol ????? Wherez the loyalty ppl

Id take the r35 gtr and spend the cash i saved on making it even better OVEr

a frog faced turtle shaped vechile which hasnt changed in decades!

or this

Maserati Gran Turismo S :P

Maserati%20GranTurismo%20S.jpg