SAU Community

If You Could... Porsche Or Gtr

N/A®

id have to take a 996 gt3 rs or a 997 gt3

but i supose if i had the pick of any of them the 993 turbo with the right tweaks to make 300kw at the wheels, ive driven one with that and it was great

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Added these 6 piston Monoblocks (4 piston on rear) this week. Good Luck using this P-Car as a brake marker :thumbsup:

Not so much the size of the brakes on a Porsche that make it difficult to pull up, but rather the lack of direction stability and balance, with the front of the car pattering around on the road due to the weight distribution issues these cars face. Having said that the only Porsches I have track tested are the 996TT and the 997TT (which actually seemed to be even more unstable than the ealier model). You will surely be blown away after getting out of an old fashioned AWD like the 996 and stepping up to the R35. The difference on a race track is night and day.....plus many, many seconds :D

id still take the porsche as long as its a gt2, gt3 and as long as its manual. dont particularly like all the electronics on the r35; just ruins the fun. would rather have the older gtrs either 32, 33 or 34 and the leftover cash could make them better than the r35 and more fun especially when modifying them, you get that satisfaction. not to say i dont like the r35, i like the performance; its just the electronics and the fact that it doesnt come with a manual

Edited by R33_NICK

Funny you talk about braking distances. Havent drive them so can only go on what i have reat but Road & Track Magazine in one article the stopping distances within 2-3 feet of one another in favour of the GTR but repeatability and consistancy with the 997 Turbo. The general theme for the test saif the Michelins were not as good a tyre as the GTRs tyres (Dunlops?)

So i cant see either car using the other as braking markers...its been my experience that Porka guys at the track understandably respect their cars and drive them within their limits, a lower limit then the car...lol, how else can my little RB20DET beat and go door to door with 996 GT3s :banana:

Could not have said it any better myself. The R35 shape has grown on me but its not pretty. It is functional. If paying that sort of money i want something more then functional....even if it is crazy fun. For me a car that you can get in and drive at 9/10s almsot from day one will get boring or reaching for your wallet very quickly.

Right now i can get the idea of a Lotus Elise/Exige (NA) with a turbo kit out of my head. That shows the sort of cars i like as versatile street /track cars. 900kg 1.8L fuel economy and tyre conservation all whilst having a ball at the track driving the thing and being respectfully quick

The Lotus idea would be a near on perfect car in my books. Pity I don't think I'd have a hope of hell fitting in one.

NiassanGTR: I think the 35 will be a massive success, but you need to understand that even though Nissan are gunning for the Porsche Market, that's not where a lot of their customers will lie. Porsche fanatics buy a Porsche, sell the it and buy another one. You'll obviously have some customers who will swap over, but I don't think they'll win over the diehard fans, just as Porsches don't win over die hard GT-R fans.

The Lotus idea would be a near on perfect car in my books. Pity I don't think I'd have a hope of hell fitting in one.

NiassanGTR: I think the 35 will be a massive success, but you need to understand that even though Nissan are gunning for the Porsche Market, that's not where a lot of their customers will lie. Porsche fanatics buy a Porsche, sell the it and buy another one. You'll obviously have some customers who will swap over, but I don't think they'll win over the diehard fans, just as Porsches don't win over die hard GT-R fans.

Dunno about that, the R35 is basically quite a different car in concept to a Porsche. It just so happens that the GT-R gets compared with a Porsche because their performance is similar, really the P car should comparitively be a lot better than it actually is. Particularly when pricing is considered.

And I have doubts about how well the R35 will sell in AU, simply because at its price level many/most buyers are looking primarily for prestige not actual performance. Hope I'm wrong but............

Edited by 260DET

I'll go against the mill and say GTR. I'm also betting that more "top end" cars inc porsche etc will follow suit and incorporate a lot more elctronic control in their cars in the near future.

Bang for buck works for me and the gtr has it in spades compared to the porka. So what if less driver input is required, At the end of the day you still have to steer the beast.

If it were street creds that did it for me I wouldnt even drive a skyline. Lets face it, only the ricers give a second glance to a line. The high end brigade look down on us and the bogans sneer at us. Which is why I take great delight in smashing the shit out of both of them at every opportunity.

Id take either one, sell it, and buy a stocker 32 gtr and a old red 911 turbo with the whale tail and huge simmons , my missus would take the rest to buy shoes.

Yes, that is alot of shoes, but as she says, "i need them for work"

I would then do limiter bouncing burnouts in my gts-t til it caught fire and/or exploded.

ANSWER=PORSCHE

Not so much the size of the brakes on a Porsche that make it difficult to pull up, but rather the lack of direction stability and balance, with the front of the car pattering around on the road due to the weight distribution issues these cars face. Having said that the only Porsches I have track tested are the 996TT and the 997TT (which actually seemed to be even more unstable than the ealier model). You will surely be blown away after getting out of an old fashioned AWD like the 996 and stepping up to the R35. The difference on a race track is night and day.....plus many, many seconds :(

Based on your comments I guess you have never driven a well sorted P-Car.

I run GT3 lower control arms to get more camber.....the sweet spot setting for the camber is about -2.9 front and -2.5 rear with about -1.8mm rear toe and about 0 front toe. I think some GT2's got a bad reputation due to the fact that when these cars came off the boat and ended up at dealerships, they were often out of spec on the alignments. But I am looking forward to having both the R35 & 996TT in my garage.

I only compared stock car to stock car, no point in anything else. Stock GTR to stock 997/996 - GTR is quicker and faster everywhere. Thats a fact :D

^^^+1

The verdict is in for 2008

EVO Car of the Year for 2008. 1st R35 GT-R (even with rear end damage and cracked rotors), 2nd Lamborghini Gallardo, 3rd Porsche 997 GT2

Wheels Best Driver's Car Of The Year for 2008. 1st R35 GT-R, 2nd Lamborghini Gallardo, 3rd KTM X-Bow, 4th Audi R8, Porsche 911 came about 7th

EVO Car of the Year for 2008. 1st R35 GT-R (even with rear end damage and cracked rotors), 2nd Lamborghini Gallardo, 3rd Porsche 997 GT2

The R35 is an amazing performance car. But personally if you are spending this much money its not just about performance. I bet i can build a far quicker, more economical car to track for less then 40k that is still registered. And i say track for where else do you get to use this sort of performance unless you are happy to lose the car and licence etc

So yes the GTR won the EVO shootout...but some quotes so that ppl who have not read the article dotn cloud the issue or decision...

"The GT2 is so close to greatness it hurts. Of all the cars its the one capable of delivering the biggest adrenalin rush...the power of its twin turbo flat-six defines the car, which is fiercely too hardcore to cope with the forces" The Lambo beat both the Porka on wisht list factor, but the price counted against it and the quality of the paddle shift and brake pedal feel. On the excitement, enthusiasm chart the Lambo then Porka had it.

And now for the GTR..."No it didnt ignite the fires of lust...its styling an acquired taste...there isnt another performance car on the planet thats as devastatingly cost effective as the Nissan...breathtaking confidence etc"

So, it is a supreme performance car....but again, for 150k i think you need some of the emotion the Porsches etc have to make it appealing to me. If the GTR looked as good as it performed then i would love the thing...but lets be honest. If the thing had a Hyundai or Proton badge i would not be surprised and we would be payign it out. The fact that its a Nissan and its ball achingly fast means it makes up for the looks and lack of wood factor when you see and hear it

997 GT2 All the way.

Manual, RWD, Sounds hot and is a Porsche - there is no real comparison.

And lets face it, owning cars like that is not all about using them primarily as a race car - who gives a F*ck if a Magazine managed to get .222222 of a second faster around bend 2 on the racetrack.

You could have the Porsche or the GTR and if your a shit driver your still gonna be no where.

If money was no object (big if!) and without having driven any of these cars i would probably pick a 997 GT3 RS. BUT.. you just can't buy a new TT/GT3/GT2 Porsche for $150k can you. Try $300k+ ... Unless you're happy to settle for a used 996 i guess. So it's a GTR for me.

If money was an issue & I did not want to spend AUD 400K+ on a 997 GT2….then yes a low km 996TT would be great option. Add a few components (Europipe exhaust, LWFW/Sachs clutch, RS mounts, X73 suspension, KKK Hybrid Turbo’s….including 997 GT2 compressor wheel, VP 109 race gas tune)…..then you have one quick package at half the 997 GT2 cost. Here’s a pic of the standard K16 Vs the Hybrid.

I have ridden in several highly tuned Race Pace GTR’s….they are also great value.

clip_image001.jpg

LOL - never knew we had so many closet porsche wannabe's (relax, just a joke)

of all the porches I've seen, it is all about the posser driving it - not for me thanks, I'll take the R35 GTR, afterall that is why I am on THIS forum...

GTR doesn't stop impressing me when I see it in action :blink: (saw a Silver one in the flesh and it looked amazing!). basically it comes from a car company that isn't lazy and pushes the boundries in styling/ electronics... latest 911 (c'mon - that is what it is really...) doesn't look that far removed from the first.

if a no money purchase as many of you mention (who here actually owns a GT2 or GT3 to add some depth to this conversation), then I'll take a XJ220, Veyron, or CCX.

I'll leave the VW's, opps - I mean 911's for everyone else