SAU Community

Turbo Options?

JMW

Just in the process of weighing up my options as to get a spare factory turbo hi flowed or just go for a good second hand GT-RS.

Its going in a R33 sedan, and would like to get about 250-300kwatw.

Any other options i could look into would also be great, and rough prices on hiflowing

Hey mate,

The two options you have listed are really the best turbos for a decent power increase without chasing too high a figures and without having to change much more about the car ie: keeping it looking standard.

A hi-flow on a standard turbo will get you up to around 240rwkw maximum

A HKS GT-RS Kit will get you closer to 260rwkw.

Now be aware that both of these options need some additional mods.

At the minimum you would be looking at upgraded engine management in either the form of a SAFC or Power FC, new fuel pump and if your going over 240kw it would be a good idea to do injectors to (Power FC required). At these power levels the standard clutch would also be towards its limit.

So in answer to your question :cheers:

I personally would go straight to the HKS GT-RS kit. High flows are not exactly cheap and from experience ive learned its best to aim a bit higher and do it right once, the first time. This kit will give you awesome response and great usable street power. You will be thrilled :)

There are some traders on here selling the GT-RS kit for $2800~

To get a standard turbo high flowed by GCG is approx $1600~

Hope this was some help buddy :)

-Dragonforce

Thanks for the help guys :(

Was nearly going to buy a good second hand gt-rs but wasn't sure if it would be overkill. The hi-flow question mainly because i have a cactus std neo turbo in need of a rebuild.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated :)

GCG with cams= 260rwkw, brand new turbo. cops wont know its there

where you mentioned a second hand GTRS... and it says HKS on it.

check out the turbo sticky thread and do a search :( some epic threads on GCG's, GTRS's, and the GT30series.

What about a GT2871R?

They do a Skyline version of it now at horsepower in a box

Thats what im considering for my turbo upgrade atm. Pretty sure there garretts answer to the HKS GT-RS which i was originally considering

Get a hi-Flow with VG30 rear housing, Im aiming for about 260-270rwkw with my auto after I get the rear housing Fitted and retuned with the Vipec.

A guy in sydney is getting 320rwkw from this same turbo in a manual, but I think he is running a forged motor with a few more intake and fuel mods.

Yeah that was going to be my question , the GCG Hi Flow with the VG30 0P6 turbine housing .

Internally they are a fair bit bigger than the RB25 housing so with other top end work they are supposed to go well and not have any extra turbine lag .

I'd like to see better wheels in the high flow but I think it may be a case of the small frame GT BB turbine shafts being too small/short and the larger frame GT turbine shafts being too big in diameter .

A .

I am currently running the slide hi-flow max over size with the OP6 VG30 rear. The turbo has been excellent with no problems, but it is now time to grab some more power so i will also going the 3076 with the .82 rear. The best power that the hi-flow could get me was 250rwkw. This is at 17psi but when it was bumped up to around 19-20psi the power would drop of so the tuner left it on 17 stating this was the best power curve he could attain. He said this was probably due to the turbo running out of puff up top.

^ sounds about right.

I highly doubt 320kw is obtainable from a highflow with a VG30 housing, regardless what is done to the car unless there is a shot of nitrous in it.

Edited by PM-R33