SAU Community

Police Plan To Seize Cars From P-plate Speeders

d00dz

I believe in the Driver Education approach, but it's gotta be matched with an attitude adjustment and education in this area too - that will be the key, in my eyes.

No, it won't work with everyone - sometimes people (and quite likely, newly-licenced drivers) will still have that "holier than thou, I'm better than everyone else" outlook, but if it actually helps to reduce the number of people injured or killed on our roads, then how can you put a price on that? It might even help reduce our insurance costs.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you book them, take cars and what not. it might lower the number of repeat offenders but it won't stop new p plater's.

they love it. it gets their heart racing. there is a craving for it that needs satisfaction.

i think more raceways need to be open. i think they need to be more readily available.

hell, even close down public roads in an area known for hooning for a weekend and let everyone show their stuff that way. people would definately be interested and i'm sure they'd pay at the gates.

kind of like that scene in the first fast and furious, the desert thingy...

there a plenty of shit hole areas out here where that could be done.

other then that, i don't think you'll stop it.

The rta currently has this machine which adjusts the cars speed to the limmit automatically like gps and even to school zones, do a search in yahoo about it, install that in every p platers car!! This is better than impounding cars and shit

All i know is that seizing cars is not the way to stop P platers speeding. Just another revenue rasier.

I agree with the GPS speed adjustment device. If they cant get the car to speed, they cant speed.

I think that driver ed from a young age would also be the key so they know what to do when the car does get into trouble eg braking, swerving, wet weather etc.

How about make driver training a compulsory subject in school from as early as year 7? There would be ways to implement it and have progressions in car types/power until it's a proper car. You could simulate traffic conditions and all sorts of stuff but more importantly have class sessions which give the kids an early introduction into the operation of a car, limitations and most importantly the injuries suffered when an accident occurs at 10km/h over the limit 20,30,40,50 and hitting at different points of the car. No babying, no Hollywood re enactments! The gruesome truth.

I got to see a couple of months ago a police video of an incident where a person dropped an oxygen bottle off a truck and it ruptured. I know all the people out there who do any welding will know what happens when they go up! Saw exactly what happened to the poor bloke and it wasn't pretty.

Even the damage this causes to families and peoples lives and what about the poor emergency services who have to turn up to these things time after time and notify family!

We need realistic options not stupid knee jerk reactions like taking cars from P platers, half the cars they drive are their parents anyway!

There is always a way to tamper with the box, secondly.. it will cause an outrage. Its driving for gods sake!

You can tamper with your gas and water meter as well, to avoid paying bills but nobody does it, because

it is difficult and there is a high probability you'll be caught.

Same principal would apply to a black box.

And as for outrage. I think it would be a p-plate only scheme. If you can make it off your Ps you've earned the

right not to be checked (by a machine, not a person) for infringements. There are a million cameras and we

now must carry e-tags. You want more of that? a lot of it is aimed at young drivers on p plates. Perhaps if

the bad actors were filtered out during the first year or two, there would be less pressure on increased

privacy invasion aimed at everyone.

But I know it won't be done because the government is hopeless at high tech solutions. They are seriously

suggesting filters for all aussie internet traffic how can such bozos ever get a black box program off the

ground?

Very true, i see where you're coming from.

And yes, truthfully speaking.. All talk no walk.. Governments not gonna' bother even trying such a concept out.

Reading the papers today.. God damn public humiliation can be a b*tch.

Daily Telegraph (found it on the train, dont kill me), Front page spread on P platers .. page 4 and 5 on P platers with a story on 2 brothers .. So funny!

MRXTCZ

sounds dumb to me. same as them claiming that their stricter laws in '05 have been effective because they've already impounded so many cars... how the hell is it effective because so many people break the law that they've taken all their cars!?! try stopping them in the 1st place... arse monkeys...

vote 1 for more marked cop cars, no undercovers... and no hwp bully tactics...

Plain marked cop cars, will put the scare factor back.. but.. How many of you have gone past a Falcon or Commodore and thought it was a copper.

That way they actually do have a greater scare factor because drivers will always/sometimes take into consideration that it is a copper when going past a Commodore / Falcon / 380 .. etc etc

MRXTCZ

The rta currently has this machine which adjusts the cars speed to the limmit automatically like gps and even to school zones, do a search in yahoo about it, install that in every p platers car!! This is better than impounding cars and shit

And whats the first thing they'll do when the box is removed from the car?

Also, any scheme that stops P-Platers speeding is less money in the governments pocket.

Realistically They should subsidise driving shcools and make it compulsory for students to do a few hours each week there experiencing a whole range of conditions. Not force them to have some fancy box. Atleast they will be skills they can keep for the rest of their lives. But again not likely to happen, refer to point 2.

I suppose but then if they weren't so keen on revenue raising then they would, anyway they would charge for the box + it doesn't stop them getting other infringements it just may save their fkn lives though anyway they still have it in trial stages you never know it may e their solution otherwise they wouldn't have built it in the 1st place

maybe a scheme that if you complete your 3 years without any fines or anything you get something in return..

If 1 or 2 p-plater gets done for somthing it gets ruined for all but if your good you get jack-sh!t

What it really comes down to is reducing the amount of p platers and people in general from speeding and racing ect on the road. You can put these boxes it you can take there cars away you can do all this but if they can find a way they will still do it. We need more race tracks so there is a outlet for people and we also need advanced driving schools that teach you to handle a car in emergancey situtations. This should be complusary when it comes to getting your licence. There is no instruction what so ever to tell you what to do if slide the back end out or come into a corner to hot ect not to mention if you have a tyre blow out. Also with this training you should be something like a traffic offenders course with it to show what happens in crashs with all the blood and guts. Not to neassarly scare them into driving safe but let them know what happens and what they have to deal with if they kill someone else or what happens to there famialys if they kill themselfs. But even if you do this there are still going to be idoits they will race and speed you cant stop everyone but at least this way it might slow a few people down and save some lives.

We need more race tracks so there is a outlet for people and we also need advanced driving schools that teach you to handle a car in emergancey situtations.

I agree with that. The whole thing of p-plates is pretty unique to australia. The rest of the world manages to get by with pretty easy licensing, and no special conditions or marks for new drivers, and the press doesn't jump all over each fatality involving young people. Yeah they happen from time to time, but there are so many other ways for immortal 20 year olds to let off steam, driving like an idiot and getting killed is just one of them.

I'm wondering if particularly "out west" hoon culture is one of the few things bored kids can get involved in? And without more drag strips, tracks and economical advanced driving courses or competitions, kids get their kicks on the street because there isn't much other excitement going, other than getting wasted and glassing someone.

There just isn't enough other things to do. In the new york area where I lived for years the roads are much more dangerous. Most people routinely speed and the cops turn a blind eye. There are very few speed cameras, the licensing system is a joke, and people are honestly pretty bad drivers all around. There are messy accidents from time to time but the press doesn't blame new drivers nor do they appear to be the source of all evil. I have to wonder why a 19 year old australian at 100kmh is considered lethal by the authorities but a 19 year old guido from new jersey can do 65 mph on the beltway past a cop without raising an eyebrow. It would be interesting to compare the stats. If a lot more aussie kids are getting killed and licensing and roads aren't the reason then society has a problem.. If the same or less are getting killed then perhaps the media is the problem, and we'd have to become a police state to reduce fatalities further.

But we must also remember that not every p plater speeds or does the wrong thing, alot of full licence drivers do it and more often but the media just blows it out of proportion, of the 395 people who died on our roads for official rd toll how many were p platers?

Once again I'll remind every p plate (infact everyone) keep it on the track, maybe we need to organise more track days?

The media also seem to forget that 6 years ago they increased the P-Plate demographic by two thirds once they brought in an additional two years of green P's. Now they harp on about how P-Platers are responsible for more accidents. Of course they are, because in the past the same age group of people were fully licenced...

I put forward a proposal some years ago that

Life Education Centre be incorporated at Year 1 High School to induct Driver Ed, via Advanced Driving School consultants.

Even Car Insurance companies would reap a long term benefit; and hence sponsor this arrangement.

No-one listened to me...

Out comes violin...

Hey is that Happy Harold the Giraffe dude?