SAU Community

R32 Rb20 Modifications

Hey all,

Just bought a 92 r32 5speed manual off an old fella, however its done 200k's but service history every 5k's and its in good cond :( , got it for 6 grank on road :blink: .

Now just before I start moding it, I wanna be sure my check list is good. Can you guys tell me if I'm missing any thing?

(List is in order of mods)

-Full 3inch stainless steel turbo back exhuast

-GTR / Wallbro Fuel Pump (Whats recommended?)

-GTR injectors

-Hybrid FMIC

-T3/T4 turbo (What turbo is best recommened?)

-Then get it tuned.

Missing anything? The gearbox and diff can handle the power?

Thanks for the help

Cheers,

Alan

Hmm, maybe not quite in that order but basically you're on the right track.

For power try air filter and exhaust for starters. You have to think carefully about where you want to go because the fuel pump, injectors, turbo and fmic upgrade are all dependent on power figures you're aiming for. You can fit the fuel pump and the fmic without getting a tune but you wont see much gain (as they are supporting mods) unless you add some more boost on the stock turbo.

Turbo and injectors requires tune and that's when you'll see some serious power.

Work out your power goal first then buy/build accordingly. The Turbo, injectors and tune really need to be done all at once. The rest you can do without upsetting existing systems too much.

Don't forget that you may need a clutch and you'll probably want better suspension and brakes also.

Have a look through the forums as there's a boatload of R32 lovers here all who have done the same things you're talking about.

Check the RB20DET turbo thread for turbo options.

Cheers

Edited by ActionDan

Things you can do without needing a tune:

Exhaust

Fuel pump (my suggestion is a Bosch 044)

pod/CAI

FMIC

RB25 turbo

Suspension

Brakes

Gearbox (depending on how much power you want, it's not going to live very long - I killed 1x RB20 box with the RB20 and another with the RB30)

Diff (2-way ftw :blink:)

As for the rest, as mentioned, pick a power goal and go from there :(

gday mate... congrats on your purchase...

for overall good street performance.. heres my thinking (also what im doing to my r32)

1. full service.. engine, gbox and diff oil, oil + fuel filters, plugs, timing belt, drive belts.. compression check, etc.

2. turbo back exhaust (incl cat) + air filter

3. fmic

4. coilovers

5. boost

6. clutch

7. R33 gtr wheels and good tyres (failing the wheels... R32 gtr wheels with good tyres)

8. bosch z32 afm and SAFC2 to run it and new 02 sensor

9. walbro/bosch intank fuel pump

10. VG30 turbo or hks 2530 (if your budget allows it)

all up thats around $6000 (going off cheaper brands but brand new) so check around here and ebay for bargains and you can reduce this amount much more or get much better brands. i got a set of near new cusco coilovers for $570 off ebay just by chance.. so the bargains are out there... and if you stick to this list.. it can be done over time and you wont get bored... frustrated yes... but not bored.

also... remember you have a 2L... which is great fun... but not much poke... but it has enough for really good usable power, and its bullet proof, coming from a really powerful rb25det... i enjoy the usable power in the rb20

street cars should have a good overall balance in handling, power, grip, and slip.. which the r32 is well capable of.

no point having all the mods to make 250rwkw if youve got crap tyres that cant handle it... or a slipping clutch that is losing 60% of your power.. or it wont go round a corner nicely because its all sloppy.

cheers

Linton

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I have done a full major service - got timing belt replaced, plugs, oil/filters, diff and gearbox service. So i know the car is in good shape. I've just put a heavy duty clutch in!

Stage 1

The first thing i put on will be a turbo 3' stainless steel exhuast and air filter

Then get a hybrid FMIC and fuel pump.

Stage 2

After these basic mods I'll look into some serious power by upgrading my turbo to a RB25 turbo/VG30 turbo/hks 2530, see what i can get for the best price. (Was looking into KKR, but read in the forums there no good!). GTR injectors, then a tune and ecu re map.

I'll keep it posted with photos and updates and hopfuly dont encounter any problems.

Thanks again for your help :blush:

Alan

NO!! Way too big for an rb20. Depends what you want to use the car for. Thats the first thing you have to deside. Do you want it to make 250rwkw and have nothing low down or would you rather have lots of power right through the rev range which is better if its a daily. If your not chasing big power then buy a r33 turbo. They are cheap and go heaps better than rb20 stock turbo. If you want a bit more power and dont mind the lag you can get a r34 turbo. Aftermarket ones will cost a lot more and certainly require an aftermarket ecu although i would recomend a re-tune which any change in turbo.

Good luck

like i said mate, you have to be realistic in your power... a standard rb20 turbo will propel the car much harder if you spent money on some semi slick tyres rather than spend the same money and sit there spinning.

that said... the standard turbo with a smidgen of boost is enough to propel the car well over the speed limit of any roads... therefore why not spend the money to get it handling shmick and putting the power that it has, down to the ground where it belongs.

What I've figured out after nearly 40 years (holy sh!t !) of driving:

Step 1 - Make it stop

Step 2 - Make it handle

Step 3 - now, make it go.

If you do steps 1 & 2 properly, you won't need to spend nearly as much on step 3.

Step 1 - Make it stop

Step 2 - Make it handle

If you do steps 1 & 2 properly, you won't need to spend nearly as much on step 3.

+1

Although I did steps 1 & 2 reversed and in between them through a 25 turbo on there for a bit of extra poke. Now I've gone bigger engine, bigger brakes again and soon an even bigger turbo :cheers:

-Full 3inch stainless steel turbo back exhuast

-Pod filter

-Bosch 044) Fuel Pump

-GTR injectors

-Hybrid FMIC (doesnt have to be that brand there all the same unless your building a track car that needs the best cooling street/ minor track cars dont any is fine)

-T3/T4 turbo (2530 for 300 HP depends if you want to go more (have a look at some hypergear stuff) but if you go more you will need bigger injectors)

-Then get it tuned.

like i said mate, you have to be realistic in your power... a standard rb20 turbo will propel the car much harder if you spent money on some semi slick tyres rather than spend the same money and sit there spinning.

that said... the standard turbo with a smidgen of boost is enough to propel the car well over the speed limit of any roads... therefore why not spend the money to get it handling shmick and putting the power that it has, down to the ground where it belongs.

How much boost/psi can the sotck rb20 turbo handle, i saw it in one of the forums for a r33 rb20 that it can handle abt 10-12psi, this accurate?

Step 1 - Make it stop

Step 2 - Make it handle

I just put a nice set of new brakes and gonna put some nice coilovers. Already got a good set of thick tyres.. Thanks