SAU Community

What To Get?

mikea1988

Hey guys

My first post here.

Sorry if im in the wrong section.

I live in vic and am looking at spending around 8to 10g on a skyline. I know very little about them. Im looking mainly for power here.

I currently drive an 89 honda prelude so have been going without some solid power for a long time.

I would be looking for something that is turbo and that with little but the right mods can produce some reasonable numbers.

For the 8 to 10k budget what specific models would you reccomend??

r32 gtst or r33 gtst. would be lucky to find a good r33 gtst for around that money but there have been some bargains around that much before.

r32's are getting a little older but i love them more then the 33.

if yo uare looking only for power then go the r33 for sure.

hey bro

welcome the forums

i picked my r33 gtst up for 8500 and it was a gem, had a couple probs here and there but nothing to major....very decent power too man especially my self coming from a honda just like u theres a big difference...you should find a nice r33 gtst around that budget but get it checked out by someone who knows em pretty well cuz they are a high maintenace car so u wana make sure u get one that has been looked after

im on the contrary to jakez88....i love the 33 over the 32 :) lol

let us know what you get

Very quick on the replies. Thanks alot guys. its looking the way of an r33 gst-t will have to search for a few months and see how i go with picking one up within my budget. Cannot wait for the change from my lude to the skyline.

save another 10k and buy an R32 GTR!

but you should be able to get a cheap R33 to suit your budget..

welcome to the forums

and then save ANOTHER 10k when it blows a 26.

32 gtst or perhaps a 33 gtst is your best bet.

Id really have to stick to the 10k budget.

Is there any specific year for the r33 gst-t that I should be looking for? And of course it would have to be manual.

if only u were asking this bout 2 weeks ago i was seling my 33 with rwc manual, sunroof fmic, stereo and reg. damn

93-95 is what your looking for which is series 1-1.5. but i mean if you can bargain down a series 2 to about that price get one. iremember when i was buying my r32 and i was also interested in getting a r33, a white series 2 with 83,000kms went for $7500. i was spewing as when i called the guy that i would take it he just told me he sold it. some mature guys from bendigo.

keep a look out for the bargains because they tend to happen more now since skylines are getting harder to sell.

pretty sure 33 series 2 is from 96-98, and prices for lines are getting cheaper by the month so you never know, allthough i would suggest getting a well sorted series 1 or even a 32 over a cheap n nasty 33series2. theres a sticky for the model differences- its worth a look to see what you get for the extra dosh.

drive different models to see how you like them, best of luck let us know how you go :D

Thanks guys

Il keep an eye out for a 96 r33 gst-t series 2.

What are my chances of finding one stock? Or mostly stock with just say an exhaust setup.

I want to plan my own mods properly and that will have my car running hopefully 250 rwkw safely and consistantly.

Im hoping to try and have the car as legal as i can. just to save all the hassles of defects and the rest.

I think coming from the outside into the skyline world most people would say the police are very keen to pull over anyone driving a skyline.

just some thoughts i had.

cheers

Thanks guys

Il keep an eye out for a 96 r33 gst-t series 2.

What are my chances of finding one stock? Or mostly stock with just say an exhaust setup.

I want to plan my own mods properly and that will have my car running hopefully 250 rwkw safely and consistantly.

Im hoping to try and have the car as legal as i can. just to save all the hassles of defects and the rest.

I think coming from the outside into the skyline world most people would say the police are very keen to pull over anyone driving a skyline.

just some thoughts i had.

cheers

Dumbest thing these days to to buy stock as to week later u will want to spent another 5-10k only stuff - 100% guaranteed. So save your self hassle and money and go find one that alreayd has good mods as they wont be selling for much more - then enjoy the line...Just becuase you didnt do the mods doesnt mean they havnt been done properly or its reliable. Check out their workshop for a background.

stock power = the suckness.

Dumbest thing these days to to buy stock as to week later u will want to spent another 5-10k only stuff - 100% guaranteed. So save your self hassle and money and go find one that alreayd has good mods as they wont be selling for much more - then enjoy the line...Just becuase you didnt do the mods doesnt mean they havnt been done properly or its reliable. Check out their workshop for a background.

stock power = the suckness.

agreed.

if you can get a lighlty modded skyline with a RWC you all in the clear.

but again look out for dodgey's. if you know a mech get him to do a once over,

there are little tricks people do to make a fast sale of a dead car that last's for about 2weeks , like some one recently had the joys with a $13k r32 GTR that had the rb26 oil attack 1week later and now dead in a workshop

good luck non the less, plenty of info on the forums here and lots of help and second hands parts also

agreed.

if you can get a lighlty modded skyline with a RWC you all in the clear.

but again look out for dodgey's. if you know a mech get him to do a once over,

there are little tricks people do to make a fast sale of a dead car that last's for about 2weeks , like some one recently had the joys with a $13k r32 GTR that had the rb26 oil attack 1week later and now dead in a workshop

good luck non the less, plenty of info on the forums here and lots of help and second hands parts also

cheers guys. this site has been great.

Say i find something with the stock turbo exhaust system and say boost controller which seems fairly common what kind of work would need to be done to achieve a figure of consistant 250rwkw and with an estimated rough cost to do this

New turbo $1000 - $2000

Bigger exhaust (dump, front, highflow cat, cat back) $500 - $1500

Pod filter or aftermarket air box $50 - $150

Bigger injectors $400 - $800

Z32 AFM $200 - $300

FMIC $300 - $1000

Aftermarket ECU (Power fc, E-manage etc) $300 - $1300

Get it tuned $400 - $800

After all this you would want to upgrade the suspension, wheels/tyres, brakes etc